Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: The Kahr P9 Covert – Revisited

Default The Kahr P9 Covert – Revisited

I really like Kahr firearms and have gone through a few over the years. After my son-in-law bought my PM9, I went to a P40 Covert but found it very “snappy” on recoil (for me, anyway) and more expensive to shoot. So then I found a P9 Covert -- factory made -- and carried that for a number of years; but that one had to go to fund the stainless K9 that I’d always wanted. Then awhile ago, I got a stainless T9 too.

To complete my “All Stainless Kahr Kollection” I recently tried a used MK9 which was planned to replace my CT380, as I had decided that with the state of this world that I wanted to carry at least a “9” instead of the .380. But that MK9 got returned back to the shop after a crack in the slide was found. Kahr told me I’d have to pay for shipping and a new slide, which was quite a disappointment; so I abandoned the idea of going all stainless... The shop took the gun back under their 30-day used gun warranty policy and will deal with Kahr.

So then the idea of a P9 Covert resurfaced to replace the CT380, going up to a 9mm round with 6+1 capacity instead of the 7+1 .380, with just a slight increase in the width or weight. I found a donor P9 online selling for half of what used P9s will typically sell for, as it only had 1 mag and no case or papers (which I don’t need), so I bought it.

And then I cut it down to make my own Kahr P9 Kovert (spelled with a “K” since it wasn’t a factory conversion).

Some will cringe...

But it works for me and is just what I want to replace the CT380, as I find the shorter PM9-sized grip frame conceals better than the K9’s longer grip in summer clothing. In winter, I’ll typically carry the larger K9 or the T9 (it is nice to have such choices!). Below are some images of the Kovert conversion I did.

The donor P9 before with 1 mag, plus one of two PM9 mags I bought really cheap:

Here’s the grip all taped and marked, clamped to a board and being cut with a fine-tooth hacksaw:

Here’s the 7+1 P9 mag inserted into the new Kovert with the cutoff piece of the grip wedged onto the bottom it (some black electrical wraps allowed me to snug that right up). You can see the gap from the kerf of the saw:

Here’s the new-to-me (and to the world) Kahr P9 Kovert with the P9 Mag inserted and a Pachmyer grip sleeve added. I add stick-on Velcro pads (soft side) to the right side of the grip to create a slight palm swell under the rubber sleeve. I find the finger groove helps maintain control on such a small grip (with the baby finger tucked under the grip for support):

And finally, here’s the P9 Kovert with the PM9 Mag inserted next to the P9 Mag which is positioned at about the right height to better show you how much less grip there is to conceal.

For a total cost of about $425 all-in (P9, FFL transfer and 2 mags) I’m really happy with the way this Kahr Kovert Konversion turned out.

Tight groups!

Old No7
    Last edited by Old No7; 02-02-2022 at 12:28 PM.
    "Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH

Nice job. Between the grip reduction and the flat mag base plate that makes a real difference in length.

you might like the Hogue jr. slide on grip which has a molded palm swell already if you haven’t tried it. I have one on my CM9 (installed upside down) which I really like. I think it was about $10 when I bought it.

Are you going to keep the cut piece as a spacer on the extended mag?
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Quote Originally Posted by yqtszhj View Post
    Are you going to keep the cut piece as a spacer on the extended mag?
    Yes, I plan to do that. Might add a drop of CA glue to secure it in position, but it's on there very snug.

Thanks for your comments.

Old No7
    "Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH

Wow. Really nice job.

Short grips are not really my thing but that doesn’t detract from the great work you did and how you did it for such low cost. Congratulations.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Quote Originally Posted by Old No7 View Post
    I really like Kahr firearms and have gone through a few over the years. After my son-in-law bought my PM9, I went to a P40 Covert but found it very “snappy” on recoil (for me, anyway) and more expensive to shoot. So then I found a P9 Covert -- factory made -- and carried that for a number of years; but that one had to go to fund the stainless K9 that I’d always wanted. Then awhile ago, I got a stainless T9 too.

To complete my “All Stainless Kahr Kollection” I recently tried a used MK9 which was planned to replace my CT380, as I had decided that with the state of this world that I wanted to carry at least a “9” instead of the .380. But that MK9 got returned back to the shop after a crack in the slide was found. Kahr told me I’d have to pay for shipping and a new slide, which was quite a disappointment; so I abandoned the idea of going all stainless... The shop took the gun back under their 30-day used gun warranty policy and will deal with Kahr.

So then the idea of a P9 Covert resurfaced to replace the CT380, going up to a 9mm round with 6+1 capacity instead of the 7+1 .380, with just a slight increase in the width or weight. I found a donor P9 online selling for half of what used P9s will typically sell for, as it only had 1 mag and no case or papers (which I don’t need), so I bought it.

And then I cut it down to make my own Kahr P9 Kovert (spelled with a “K” since it wasn’t a factory conversion).

Some will cringe...

But it works for me and is just what I want to replace the CT380, as I find the shorter PM9-sized grip frame conceals better than the K9’s longer grip in summer clothing. In winter, I’ll typically carry the larger K9 or the T9 (it is nice to have such choices!). Below are some images of the Kovert conversion I did.

The donor P9 before with 1 mag, plus one of two PM9 mags I bought really cheap:

Here’s the grip all taped and marked, clamped to a board and being cut with a fine-tooth hacksaw:

Here’s the 7+1 P9 mag inserted into the new Kovert with the cutoff piece of the grip wedged onto the bottom it (some black electrical wraps allowed me to snug that right up). You can see the gap from the kerf of the saw:

Here’s the new-to-me (and to the world) Kahr P9 Kovert with the P9 Mag inserted and a Pachmyer grip sleeve added. I add stick-on Velcro pads (soft side) to the right side of the grip to create a slight palm swell under the rubber sleeve. I find the finger groove helps maintain control on such a small grip (with the baby finger tucked under the grip for support):

And finally, here’s the P9 Kovert with the PM9 Mag inserted next to the P9 Mag which is positioned at about the right height to better show you how much less grip there is to conceal.

For a total cost of about $325 all-in (P9, FFL transfer and 2 mags) I’m really happy with the way this Kahr Kovert Konversion turned out.

Tight groups!

Old No7
    Old No7, You did a very clean job of that job!!
    In fact, it looks close to factory work. Here's my factory P40 Covert for comparison:

Speaking of which, I agree with you that the P40 Covert can be very “snappy” on recoil. It's the only Kahr pistol I have that I use a pinky extension on.
    base plate

FWIW, I've been well pleased with the Magguts 6 to 7 9mm conversion in my PM9. I have a new set to test in my P40C. It fits 6 and cycles fine by hand. i hope to get out to the range with it this week.

Regards,
    Greg

BTW, thanks for the excellent photo showing the cut being made
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Thanks Greg -- by the way, nice job with the excellent images and info on that P380 dead trigger posting. Well done sir!

Old No7

I happen to own an original Kahr P9 Covert that I have been carrying for almost 20 years. I got mine unfired with box and papers for $450 and have never once regretted it. I carried it off-duty as a police officer for many of those years. I own all sorts of handguns but find the Kahr to be one of the most generally useful ones I've ever owned. I remember all the hype when the Glock 43 came out, and thinking, "What's the big deal? I've had that size gun or years."

Mine wears night sights (which were tough to find due to the old style slide) and a Pachmayr grip sleeve. What I love about the gun is that with the flat based 6 round magazine I can easily pocket carry the handgun, or I can just put in the factory 7 round magazine with the extended baseplate (I have ten of these) for a more secure draw from a belt holster. I typically carry the gun with two spare magazines. Unlike any number of the so-called "value series" C-series pistols that have let me down from a reliability standpoint, this one never has. Every year I worked I qualified with the gun on the same course of fire as my full sized duty Glock, and as a stunt more than anything else have shot the gun successfully out to 50 yards and hit bowling pins. The little gun has oe hell of a barrel on it. About my only issue with it now that I've gotten older with arthritic hands is that it can sometimes be a challenge for me to pull the slide all the way back. My Shield is a bit easier to pull the slide back on, but not as easy to pocket carry.

I'm not sure why it is, but I once corresponded with Justin Moon who told me in no uncertain terms that Kahr would NEVER bring this pistol back, The only thing I can think of as a logical reason is that it would perhaps cannibalize sales of the P9 and the PM9. I've often thought of making this same "P9 Kovert" conversion so that I would have a spare. Nice to see that it can be done well with hand tools.

I too have an original P9 Covert that has been my summer carry pistol for several years (I carry a K9 Elite 03 fall through spring). I love these pistols, searched for many years to find a slightly used one. Like OldCop876 experienced, I had difficulty with the sights as the OEM Trijicons were dark. I found out that Trijicon offers a lamp replacement service, costs about $54 if I remember correctly, shipped them my slide with the sights installed and now have new lamps. I couldn't be happier. I may do this to a TP9 I picked up for $299 on GB if I ever get brave enough to take a saw to it.

This reminds me of the PM9 Covert that apparently had a very short run a couple of years ago.
    Basically it was a P9 length grip with a PM9 barrel & black finished slide.
    Never could find one online, so wasn’t able to give Justin more of my money.

But I’ll be watching for the double stack 9 that was hinted at earlier this month.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling