CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace

Thread: Case reforming for .429 DE using .50 AE cases

Default Case reforming for .429 DE using .50 AE cases

Multi part question- re-posted to the reloading section.

I have new Starline .50 AE brass and want to reload for the .429 DE using Lee's pistol 3-die set.

1 - Can I simply reform, (neck-down, form a shoulder and trim to length), using the 50AE case without too many issues?

2 - Anyone have any advice other than using lube and going slowly?

3 - Any other die sets out there to reform using more than one step?

4 - Will the neck case wall thickness need to be turned at all?

Thanks,

Pat
    Last edited by Pat Piper; 01-20-2020 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Re-posted to the reloading section.

https://www.sporterizing.com/index.p...-desert-eagle/

I'm under the impression it's relatively trouble - free, though trimming may be required...

Using Lee's 3-die set, I lubed new Starline 50AE cases. Resized with one stroke or four strokes spinning case between each stroke. Little if any difference. So I settled on 2 strokes spinning case about 180 degrees. Reformed case length grew to over 1.290". Newly reformed case mouth would not allow Lee's case length trimmer to enter. So, I used Lee's powder through case mouth expanding die to allow Lee's .44Mag case length guage to slide into case for trimming. Trimmed case length to 1.278". Slight mouth expansion left over for bullet seating. Measured against factory ammo and "plunk-tested" the case 'as-is' and have no issues to solve at this point.

So, my question about turning the case mouth seems to be a non-issue at this point. Makes things a lot easier for now.

Excellent information... thank you for sharing this. I have been saving all my 50AE brass for years, and most certainly going the extra mile to pick up every single case of 429 from the "brass gravel" of my range, but it doesn't sound as critical as I would have guessed.

This leads me to the question of... why the heck is 440 CorBon brass treated like gold? Can it not be formed like this also?
    The lack of brass and/or loaded ammo is why I never have bothered to get a 440 CorBon barrel in the first place. This makes it sound like a very minor issue unless there is a critical difference or if someone "needed" to shoot thousands of rounds of 440.

MrBlacKCat

Quote Originally Posted by MrBlackCat View Post
    This leads me to the question of... why the heck is 440 CorBon brass treated like gold? Can it not be formed like this also?
    Curious about this as well.

When I had a .440 Corbon barrel, that is EXACTLY the way I made brass. Simply run the .50AE brass into the .440 Corbon sizing die. Voila, I had .440 brass. I shot many rounds through that .440 10" barrel with nary a bobble. Why do folks have to make it harder than it is?

A few years ago I decided to look into a 440 CorBon Desert Eagle barrel... I learned the ammo was no longer produced commercially and why... then I found sales on auction sites for brass... for like $10 each... used, and some cracks! I don't reload, so I just took from that it was hard to make as well as impossible to get. Strange.

I can see the legalities of SELLING brass with an incorrect head stamp, but if someone reloads for themselves ONLY, then I fail to see the problem. I still don't reload, but if I start, I would have no fear or hesitation of getting a 440 barrel just to add to the Desert Eagle collection.

Thanks for sharing this information...

MrBlackCat

If only 10" barrels existed for this caliber...

If only 10" barrels existed for this caliber...[/QUOTE]

I just recently purcheased a 10 inch .429 DE barrel off of GUNBROKER.com