Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smitten with NAA .22lr

Default Smitten with NAA .22lr

I'm going to take the plunge and pick up one of those tiny North American Arms 22lr revolvers. Likely for all the wrong reasons like I'd like one to throw in with my fishing stuff, even though I'll be carrying a 44 or 10mm when I do go, and because it's small, and because I don't have something like that yet, and the list goes on. Anyone have any experience with these? They appear pretty well made, and I think it would be fun to try to hit a gong with something that small.

I'm going to get the basic 22lr, not the magnum. I already have plenty of 22 ammo, and I don't have the need for a 22 mag at this point. I have 2 223s to cover that duty

Anyone have any experience with these little guys?

I’m often tempted by them too. I’d kinda like the top break model. Like you, I want one just because.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, SP101

They are cool little guns....I had a basic .22 long rifle with stag grips...I tried to hit a paper plate at 10 yards but only hit a couple but at 5 yards it would stay pretty much on target which is pretty good for such a tiny little gun...It shot better with copper plated bullets but it is what it is, a tiny little last ditch weapon...You have to be very careful how you hold it when you pull the trigger because it would be very easy for mister finger to meet mister bullet if you get careless...I traded mine back when .22 got so hard to find and like you it was a gun I always wanted but the novelty wore off pretty quick and I decided to get a better bug out gun so I swapped it for a Beretta Pico .380 for those few times when I couldn't carry my PM9 for CCW duty....When you look for one look at used because lots of folks think they want one but never shoot it so they trade it like I did so there are lots of very low mileage NAA revolvers out there....Good luck and if you do get one tell us how you like the little thing...

Same with me, I wanted one. They are a cute novelty. I couldn't hang onto mine even with just 22 LR. Shoot and catch system I guess. Next to useless for any meaningful purpose but I do know a few who have them on them all the time. NAA in the pocket is better than a 1911 in the drawer I guess.

That being said I'd probably get another just cause they are a cute novelty, oh I already said that.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I bought mine ( .22 LR) in the mid-1980's. It got carried a whole lot more than it got shot. Eventually though, it needed some work. Sent it to the factory, paid shipping and they returned it to me, like new. If you look around, there are some UTube videos of guys holding the trigger and "fanning" the hammer for 5 fast shots. I've never tried that so I can't speak to how practical it would be. I carry CCI Stingers in mine.
    Trying to shoot it at 10 yds is a waste of time. Shooting it at 5 yds isn't a heck of a lot better, especially if you add in any sort of speed or stress factor. I've carried it in the past just to have SOMETHING in my hand if needed. Appropriate Use..??? Arm's length..stick it in someone's ear.
    That said...I can relate one incident where the mere presence of the NAA .22 served to resolve a potentially bad situation. 3 guys accosted an individual for his wallet. Simple physical assault, they had no weapons in their hands. The old guy pulled out his NAA .22 and asked "Who wants the first one..??" Turned out there were no volunteers.

Bought myMini magnum about 35 years ago, and as noted above, these neat novelties ain’t for the deadeye shooters. They are cool little pieces of jewelry that belch a lot of fire and make a big noise.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

I have the predecessor to the NAA .22lr, the Freedom Arms .22lr. Not a lot of fun to shoot, but there is a video somewhere on the intertube that shows how to actually hold it to where you can shoot it "effectively." It's been so long since I've shot mine that I've forgotten the grip. I will say it is a great gun to bring out in the woods with your buddies, they all have to shoot it. As been said, don't even worry about accuracy, this is a belly gun, plain and simple.

And I still have mine with no plans on ever getting rid of it. Its just so dang cute!

Only reason I parted with mine was a member here local to me wanted it and I swapped for a derringer which turned out to be about the same category. Weighed as much as a K9 with only two shots and it was 38. I don't recall ever shooting it. Traded it in on a J Frame for my wife.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I had the most basic .22LR model with plastic grips... that split... and I had to epoxy them. I carried it when I first got to Florida in a velcroed coin purse in my pocket. I switched to a .22LR SS Walther TPH after I got my license. I carried CCI Stingers in both, as they were the most effective out of short barrels... not that they would expand at all, but I read that was the best round to carry for such pistols.
    The NAA was a terrible shooter for me... gut gun for sure.
    I tried to shoot something about 6 feet away and have no idea where the rounds were going... plus the cylinder edges were almost razor sharp and tended to cut your thumb when firing it! I would advise gloves for a first firing.
    My buddy here was still carrying with a setup as I had... in a velcroed coinpurse. I made a lot of fun about how easitly the pistol could be drawn and fired! He always said that he could see when something was happening and get the pistol ready.
    My standard is IWB with a real gun belt and ready to draw and fire one-handed... something that's hard to do with a tiny single-action revolver in a coinpurse, deep in your pocket!
    I sold mine in a garage sale soon after getting my carry permit here over 22 years ago. Years later, after I had problems with .22 LR ammo, I sold the TPH, too. My P380 is the least I will carry, and with +P Gold Dots, and 6+1 in an IWB holster, ready to fire one-handed. Center-fire ammo is much more reliable than .22LR when your life is on the line.

I finally remembered that Stingers were the best for short-barrel carry.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

These are very cute guns, they are very reliable and well built for what they do. My Brother carried his .22 mag as an EDC for ten years. He finally "traded up" (??) to an RM380 last year. The only reason was ammunition based misfires of his carry ammo.
    When he and I go to the range, I always draw my carry gun, from the holster and shoot the old carry ammo, replacing it with new ammo after cleaning. My brother would do the same with his NAA .22 mag, but we kept having misfires. During our last try he had two misfires in five rounds...

With every bad round, we found that the rim showed a solid firing pin hit, so this was never a gun problem. Reinserting the rounds into the gun and "re-clocking" the cartridge so that a different spot on the rim took the next hit was always rewarded with a nice bang. In each case the ammo had ridden in the gun/pocket for several months before they were fired. Our final thoughts are this, Rimfire ammo will not stand up to a rough and tumble life of (his) pocket carry.

These rounds were all high end .22mag "hunting HPs",not some off brand bulk "bucket of bullets', but Winchester or CCI brand ammo.
    Not at all a knock on the little NAA guns, they are very nice. I only say this as an FYI, relating our families experiences in daily carry of .22 mag ammo.

Your mileage may vary...

Peace
    I was once asked if I was "a paranoid for carrying my Kahr".
    "Nope" I said, "just prepared".
    " prepared for what" he asked?
    "more stuff than you are"
    God Bless our Troups!