Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PM9 slide won't come back enough to lock

Carman,
    What's the history of this PM9? Has this always been an issue?
    In the meantime, can you compress the smaller spring of the recoil assembly? With mine I can compress it until the flange on the guide rod and the flange on the tube meet.
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

I am the original owner of the gun. I had it maybe a year before I then lend it to a friend in need. He passed lately and it was returned to me. It was kind of freaky when I saw your picture GB 64091. I had to zoom in to make sure it wasn't him. Same initials also. He was the kind who would have messed with a gun some. It's possible Parts have been changed out I'm not aware of. I appreciate your all's help. I can compressed the captured spring till the flanges meet

Hmm.....according to Kahr, the type 1 and 2 recoil spring assembles for the blunt PM9 guns have plunger head sizes of 3/8" (type 1) and 1/2" (type 2). Mine has the 1/2" size. I do not know what size the plunger head is for the type 3 assembly used on the newer guns. If it's larger perhaps it would cause some interference in older guns. You might give yours a measure.

Sorry to read of your friend's passing, you have my condolences.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Thank you Greg. My plunger end measures 3/8 of an inch. Is there specs anywhere on the captured spring unit that would tell me it's length

Quote Originally Posted by Carman View Post
    Thank you Greg. My plunger end measures 3/8 of an inch. Is there specs anywhere on the captured spring unit that would tell me it's length
    In regards to length specs...I don't know of any. We've been counting coils on the forum.

Any chance you could post some photos of your components? Maybe we are missing something in the discussion.

You don't have enough posts to use the attachment function, but you can upload photos to an off site host then post them here. I always use this free one: https://postimg.cc
    Once you upload photos there, they provide links with the proper code (use the "Hotlink for forums:" link).

Regards,
    Greg

I'm not very good on a computer. Don't know if I could get pictures to you. I might try. Your pictures and my gun look a denticle. I was wondering about the length of the inner spring assembly in The Recoil spring assembly from plunger to Rod tip. And also the length of the capture canister. I hope you understand what I'm talkin about. I'm not sure about the terminology.

I been kicking this around in my head all day, didn't want to interject without having something to add. Not sure I have anything to add now except 1. I just don't get it.
    In my small mind the only thing that could cause this is the outer spring completely compressing before you get to the slide lock notch. So everything else being the same your friend may he rest in peace apparently never locked the slide back?
    Were it mine knowing that the recoil spring is relatively cheap, I'd cut off about half a coil. Orient the outer so the end of the spring is up towards the barrel when installed and see if that gets you there or closer.
    I would then shoot it to make sure everything is cycling and working properly. I'd order a new outer spring, making sure its for the old style or a whole new unit with the larger 1/2'' head which supposedly was an improvement, don't fully understand the advantage to that either other than keeping it lined up a bit better.

I shall continue to ponder slowly. Too fast and I get the brain pain ya know?
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I believe we are down to Something in the recoil spring assembly. I was considering the same thing about the outside spring. I think I will try that. Bawana, I was reading your post from back in 2009 a couple weeks ago when I decided to join this forum. You seem like a very knowledgeable guy from reading your post. That was very happy Greg responded he's been a great help and been right on with everything helping me. Thanks guys

A thought just occurred to me. Carman is there any peening or other malformation in your barrel where the slide lock pin fits into it? Or just in front of that? Anything that might prevent the barrel from rising all the way up during cycling? If so this could prevent the slide from moving all the way rearward.

Also, while I was looking for a picture of the barrel so that I didn't have to field strip mine again to check this, to see if what I asked about above was possible I came across something interesting. But first, I ended up taking my gun apart again anyway since I couldn't find a picture of the barrel anywhere. And in looking closely at my barrel I could see that because the bottom of the barrel lug is very thin it could become malformed right in front of where the pin slides through it. If this were to happen I doubt the slide could be moved all the way rearward. At least not easily. You should check yours out. And maybe insert your pin there with both out of the gun, and ensure the pin moves freely through all parts of that hole in the barrel lug.

The thing that I found while looking for a picture was an undated letter from Kahr to distributors concerning PM9 pistols in two very early serial number ranges, shipped before March 15, 2004. They advised distributors not to ship them to dealers, or if they had to provide the dealers' information to Kahr so that they could contact them and get the barrels back. I purchased my Kahr in June of '03, and it is within one of the serial number ranges, so I'll need to call them. Here' the link to that letter.

Quote Originally Posted by Carman View Post
    I believe we are down to Something in the recoil spring assembly. I was considering the same thing about the outside spring. I think I will try that. Bawana, I was reading your post from back in 2009 a couple weeks ago when I decided to join this forum. You seem like a very knowledgeable guy from reading your post. That was very happy Greg responded he's been a great help and been right on with everything helping me. Thanks guys
    Greg is the knowledgeable guy, I'm just a poser and his apprentice. He's bailed me out on numerous occasions. My wife wants to get a restraining order against him cause he plants seeds of gun desire in my head but I won't allow it. Don't figure gun desire is a bad thing.
    Last edited by Bawanna; 01-24-2020 at 11:11 PM.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."