Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: PM9 slide won't come back enough to lock

I've taken my PM9 apart again, while trying things I had the slide and spring assembly and inserted the spring assembly into the area where it engages in the slide. As I was compressing the spring into this area the spring seem to grab somewhat on the slide as it compressed into the hole the farther I went the worse it got. I'm wondering if my spring coil it's too large diameter or misshapen. When I insert just the outer core by itself it is a tight fit getting it into the slide, and when I compress it the coils tend to grab the edge as its compressing in there. I believe we found the problem.

I just put a micrometer to the spring, the end that goes on the assembly first is.409 ths. And the other end is .4 1 9 thousands. I think this spring somehow has been misshapen. I'm not saying it's factory done, possibly through mishandling or abuse,

Quote Originally Posted by Carman View Post
    I just put a micrometer to the spring, the end that goes on the assembly first is.409 ths. And the other end is .4 1 9 thousands. I think this spring somehow has been misshapen. I'm not saying it's factory done, possibly through mishandling or abuse,

[<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by Carman View Post
    The area you show on the barrel Hood or two areas on the top toward the front and on the side near the corner is the area I have what I've called pitting it looks like pitting in blued steel from rust after you've cleaned it up. I thought it might be from lack of lube and in the areas you shown. I have lubed this area well actually I polished the barrel, the hood and the inside of the slide. Even with the barrel out I'm unable with spring in to pull it back far enough to engage slide lock.
    The barrels are nickle plated. What you are seeing might be some of that flaking off.
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Thank you Greg for all you do. Your your advice and your pictures help me greatly. Sorry I haven't responded lately, been down with the flu. I got my spring set ordered. I'm your latest picture of the slide upside down, wear your blue arrow crosses the edge of the slide, it's where my spring is grabbing on both sides, not on the cut out in the bottom part. I think my spring is out of round slightly. I guess the new spring will tell the tale. Thanks again, we will update when spring comes in maybe today.

My spring said has arrived. I have installed the outer spring. I can lock my slide back, yeehaw! You all are great thank you for all the help. Greg, Dao,Bawanna and Ed your Insight, pictures,links and advise is what got my to here. Thank you thank you thank you.

Hey that's great that it worked out Carman, especially for such a small price. Congrats!

So tell us, how do the two springs compare in looks, coil count, and feel?

The difference in the two Springs is amazing. The Old Spring is shorter. The old Springs also a lot bigger around. It was a tight fit into the slide. The new one goes into the slide very easily. The Old Spring I feel was out of round so as it was compressed it was grabbing the sides of the pocket in the slide that fits in. The coil count was the same. 13

Happy ending. The old spring being shorter is normal and expected. The new one will be shorter once it takes it's set.
    Your old one must have got squished or hit somewhere along the line.
    I love happy endings.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

So glad things worked out for you, Carman.

People really trying to help others is what sets this forum apart from other gun forums.

Remember the help you got here, and pass it on to help someone else in the future.

That's how we roll....