Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen

Thread: Newbie just went to range with new CW9

Default Newbie just went to range with new CW9

I am brand new here. Thank you for a great forum site.

I bought a CW9 in hope for it to be my EDC because of it's size and weight. I did a lot of research on this one and brought it home two days ago. I put 200 rounds through the barrel today and I love this gun! No issues. I even fired some JHP defense rounds. I was at an outdoor range that has only 25 yard target frames. My buddy was there and we had a great day shooting. He and I were both impressed with the accuracy of this subcompact gun at 25 yards. As soon as I can get a checkout and CCW mod, this will be my everyday carry.

I would be grateful for any advice and tips.

Thanks again.

Welcome to the forums

Congrats on the CW9!

Over the years, I've added steel night sights (OEM front sight is plastic), the thinner metal magazine base plates, and Magguts' 7 to 8 round conversion kit to mine. Before the Magguts kit came out, I used Lakeline's excellent metal follower (still have them in some spare magazines). None of that was really a necessity, but I feel they improved an already reliable and accurate pistol.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Thank you! I like the upgrades you've done. Are the night sights OEM, or a third party brand?

Good stuff! Thanks.

Welcome. You made a great choice in a carry gun. Get a good holster for the carry position of choice and shoot a bit before you swap sights. Night sights are great if you plan on shooting in the dark. I have a lot of guns with night sights and all of them perform poorly in low light conditions. If you have the post dot configuration on your gun, you may already have a set of the best sights for quick sight acquisition available..
    I base that on my W.German P226 which I use to train new shooters. I tell them to but the golf ball on the tee and slowly move the trigger rearward. Everyone understands that concept and it usually produces great results.
    "Never pet a burning dog"

Thanks for the advice. I did notice a golf ball/tee picture. When I did what you described, my accuracy improved. It's a great little handgun.