Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: May pick up a 44 with 10" barrel -

Some articles I've found so far.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I read a few minutes and realized my memory/perception might be inaccurate...

Of course, this could be also, but here is what I was talking about on the springs...

I was thinking that all Mk I's had the pinned piston, but it might not be that simple.
    There was Mk I 44 Mags, I was thinking of .41 Magnum, which was introduced with the Mk VII series.

If you call Magnum Research and give them your serial number, they can tell you when it was made, and how it was configured, as well as the series.

If it IS a Mk I, you need to know this as there are some difference when ordering replacement wear parts such as the recoil spring parts.

Please come back and let us know what you find out. As the owner of the less common Mk VII 50AE Desert Eagle, I always like to improve my knowledge, as I have been told many times at gun shows and forums, that "50's are Mk XIX", which is not accurate... then I was told they are identical to Mk XIX which is also not always true.

MrBlackCat

I feel ya. They didn't make this easy to keep track of.

I'll let you know what magnum research says.

Called customer service today. What a pleasure. Scott gave me a crap ton of info.

The gun is a mark I/VII. It can't be a Mark 1 as they were all 357 Magnums, but it's got features that are from the Mark I and prior to the changes of the Mark VII. It may have an adjustable trigger and it may not. The adjustable trigger is just adjustable with regards to the rest and over travel. Does not effect the weight of pull.

The gun is from January 1989. It's a very early model which makes it really rare. It's even more rare with the 10 inch barrel, safety levers with the tear drop style, and all the charm of the first iconic design of the desert eagle.

I'm very excited to add this firearm to the stable.

Customer service stated that a spring kit wouldn't be a bad idea, so after my first run if factory ammo I'll determine if one is required immediately or if I'll wait until it starts having issues.

They also said that I can convert the eagle to .50 AE with a new side assembly $400 and a conversion kit $500.

I'd like to put some new grips on this bad boy. To give it some personality. I heard removing grips isn't the easiest process. I also need to watch some videos to understand how to break this bad boy down and clean it.

Very excited to learn about a new to me firearm. Sometimes that's more fun than shooting the gun.

Can't wait. Will follow up with an update after my first trip to the range.

Any recommendations on grips, or anything else? Please feel free to share!

Thanks,

Moe

Interesting... I have spoken with Scott many times myself. So just like with the transition Mk VII 50AE's, there are transition Mk I's... I knew I hadn't seen a Mk I 44, but I didn't buy my first until 1993, so I wasn't as aware of some of the history of the model migration beyond what I have heard and read.

Trivia... before the Desert Eagle actually "really" came out, it was called the "357 Eagle". I have seen the documentation and other indicators which verify this. It wasn't until IMI was contracted to fix this early version to make them work the name was changed.

Thanks for the follow up. Always trying to gain accurate information. I am glad you got one more interesting than average.

MrBlackCat

Any idea where to get a scope mount for this bad boy?

Certainly not easy to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Moebravo View Post
    Any idea where to get a scope mount for this bad boy?

Certainly not easy to find.

They come up on eBay frequently...

Blued...
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/B-Square-Pi...g/113886011694

Silver...
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/B-Square-Pi...g/113886878786

Good Luck!

MrBlackCat

I like the Hogue monogrips with finger grooves.

As far as loads, I'm one of the folks who doesn't post actual load data, out of respect for publishers' intellectual property, but here's some observations.

I've found that H110 gives a lot of noise and flash, if that's what your into. IMR4227 gives a much calmer load if that's more your speed. Power Pistol and Accurate #7 have worked well for me also. Am currently trying Blue Dot. Both 200 grain and 240 grain projectiles have served me well.

Don't use plated or coated projectiles in a DE, per Magnum Research. They can clog the gas port. I've been running Hornady XTP projectiles with good results. Tried Noslers, but the exposed lead deforms sometimes and causes feeding problems.

There's load data available online from Accurate, Alliant, Hodgdon, and Nosler. I also use the Lee and Speer printed handbooks extensively.

Hope this helps,
    Mark

Thanks Mark,

I spoke to magnum research and they were less concerned about plated. I'm sure the safe thing to do is not use them, however, they stated to me that plated was ok.

I loaded some Rainier 240 gr hp today with titegroup and 180 xtp Hornady with a different load up of titegroup.

I've got a lot of titegroup and it's great for the rounds I run through my revolver. I know people are sensitive about amount of powder in the case and double charging.

My setup dispenses the powder very well land I weigh about every 5 to start off than about every 20 as I run them through my dillon.

I also have some Berry's bullets 240gr fp I run in my 629 I'm going to try.

My revolver is more forgiving when it comes to OAL. What is the general feel for the desert eagle? 1.60 ??? Less??? A lot less? I'm sure everyone's gun is a little different. Just trying to start from a good baseline.

Hopefully I pick up the gun soon so I can try out my loads and see what works best.

Also, I have a few boxes of Magtech factory loads that are on the approved list by magnum research. My plan is to shoot them first and make sure the gun functions properly, and that I get used to shooting the gun with the proper grip and stance with a known constant.

Wish me luck. Appreciate the help.

Moe

As far as factory ammo, Magtech has worked the best, followed by American Eagle. Fiocchi doesn't cycle the pistol worth a hoot. Probably not hot enough.

I found that shorter OALs worked best for me. Too long led to feeding problems.

In general, I've found that it takes a bit of experimentation to get loads that work well.

One observation - a lot of folks note that they have to run max or near max loads for their DEs to work properly. That hasn't been the case for me. Most of my loads are close to minimums shown in the handbooks.

Mark