CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new
Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 LastLast

Thread: CW45/P45: Flush fit magazine - UPDATED

Last session out with my CW45, the MecGar Officer's mag fed all the boolets just fine, but failed to lock back on the last round - it still has the MecGar spring & metal follower. The factory Kahr mags all fed properly and did lock back on the last round, but am still going to carry it with the flush-fitter MecGar.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

I tried to follow suggestions in this thread, but failed pretty badly at it. Only 1 of the converted magazines works somewhat reliably, but it does not lock on empty. The rest jam on feeding or miss the pickup and let the slide close on an empty chamber. At this point I decided that it's easier to cut losses and bought factory magazines. 1 out of 3 refuses to work :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bummer. See the (bad) mags for parts.

mbogo

Quote Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post
    I tried to follow suggestions in this thread, but failed pretty badly at it. Only 1 of the converted magazines works somewhat reliably, but it does not lock on empty. The rest jam on feeding or miss the pickup and let the slide close on an empty chamber. At this point I decided that it's easier to cut losses and bought factory magazines. 1 out of 3 refuses to work :-)
    Looking at your photo, it appears to me that you are using 1911 magazines with "Devel' style followers. You might improve reliability with these magazines by bending the front of the follower down a bit (similar to the magazine on the far right in the photo below):

Then again this might not help and, even if it does, it's been my experience that this style follower (or most 1911 followers) will not lock a CW45 slide back consistently.
    Have you tried a Kahr follower and spring in any of your modified 1911 magazines? This combo has worked without issue for me in my CW45.
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Thumbs up

Here's my first attempt at modifying a MecGar officers mag. I tried to mimic the shape of the factory mag. I also stole the follower and spring from a factory mag a la Greg. It cycles whole rounds fine and locks the slide back. I'll range test it soon. I have three more to build if this one works well.

In the top photo the modified mag is in the center. It's on the left in the bottom photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ​O|||||||O

I took the mags that came with my new P45 apart to clean them. The 7-rounder had a 14-coil spring... the same that the 5 and 6-rounders use. It is 4 coils short and before too long will not reliably feed or lock the slide back... too little spring. The replacement coils are 18 coils and a real b!tch to install!. I put a spare into that one with much trouble and cussing!

All of 7 of my 7-rounders were like that when the 5's and 6's springs started shattering. All of the springs were replaced by Kahr, but recently I found that one of the replacement 5-rounder springs had shattered.

I have 5 more 7-rounders inbound to replace the split ones and will check those out for correct springs. I will report findings to the head of customer service who has worked with me on my PM45 replacement. I think that there are a lot of 7-round Kahr mags out there with the wrong springs that could cause problems.

I ordered some more spring/follower kits at $15 each from Kahr... beats about $22 for the two parts separately! These are for the 1911 mags. I still have to test the two 7-rounders at the range some more, but they won't insert fully with the slide forward and 7 rounds loaded. I'll have to leave the slide back and chamber that 7th round for carry... 6+1+7(spare).

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    Here's my first attempt at modifying a MecGar officers mag. I tried to mimic the shape of the factory mag. I also stole the follower and spring from a factory mag a la Greg. It cycles whole rounds fine and locks the slide back. I'll range test it soon. I have three more to build if this one works well.

In the top photo the modified mag is in the center. It's on the left in the bottom photo.
    Excellent! Good fortune to you with the range test.
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Stopped by my favorite local gun shop yesterday to trade my HK P30L in for something else and noticed they had several Kahr pistols in their used display.
    One was a P45, another was a PM45. They were kind enough to allow me to stick my spare flush fit CW45 magazine into the P45 for a couple of quick comparison photos with the PM45 9on top it both photos).

Regards,
    Greg

Recently bought a CW9, which of course cones with the standard mag that has the big chunky plastic base plate. I sprung for the flat steel replacement plate that "almost" fits flush. Pretty pricey for two little bitty pieces of steel, and $8+ mailing?
    Took less than a minute to put on, and no, I didn't launch the old one when disassembling.

A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

This is great it looks 100% better than the Kahr mags.