Xssights   Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace
Page 16 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: CW45/P45: Flush fit magazine - UPDATED

Quote Originally Posted by Ljutic View Post
    I used a flat needle file on the mag latch window. It only took a few passes.

The metalform mag bodies have changed during the life of this thread and old and new style do work. My personal choice was the Wilson spring and follower because it does actuate the slide stop at last round, gives room for 7 rounds in the magazine, and I don't need to worry about the plastic follower gouging my plastic frame. The only thing I don't like about my flush mag is that it's noisy. The cartridges rattle around in the mag when carrying. I'm going to try a Kimber mag body on my next build. Spring and follower will still be Wilson.

The stock Kahr follower only allows for a mag capacity of 6.
    Thanks for sharing those good points. Was that the Wilson OXC (seven round officer's magazine) you're referring to? Others have had good luck with that one here in this thread but I certainly wouldn't wanna be rattling while walking around. lol We try our best to hide the gun from sight, never thinking we have to hide it from earshot too! lol I know you really want that extra round and you're striving for it. Keep us posted, please. For me, as of right now, I'll probably be gathering up everything for the OPs configuration. I just intuitively feel more confident with the Kahr spring and Kahr follower (even though I'm certainly no expert on this subject)
    Kahr CM9

i just purchased a chip mc cormic part number 14120 7 round mag for the 1911 and from what i could see needs minimal trimming to get the slide to operate correctly and it is a 7 round magazine.
    I didnt read every post here so has anyone tried this mag? im on the road so i will file it tomorrow and post a report asap.

Quote Originally Posted by newkahrowner View Post
    i just purchased a chip mc cormic part number 14120 7 round mag for the 1911 and from what i could see needs minimal trimming to get the slide to operate correctly and it is a 7 round magazine.
    I didnt read every post here so has anyone tried this mag? im on the road so i will file it tomorrow and post a report asap.
    There are some posts by Mr. Zero and nwohsy in regards to the Chip McCormick magazines. They seem to fit and function, but the internals did not lock the slide back. Using Kahr springs and followers will knock the capacity down to 6 rounds, but will lock the slide back. You can find the posts by searching for "Chip" using the thread tools near the top of the page.
    Regards,
    Greg

i read the yellow card it came with and said and i quote lol"if pistol fails to lock open on the last shot, check the slide stop lobe length (.195" minimum)
    Some slide stops with dimples where the plunger hole contacts need polished or replaced.) But in my case the slide locks back when racking and goes to battery super easy. so when i shoot it ill let you know.

I tried this with some Metalform mags, with encouraging results. I had to reduce the height in front of the feed lips a tiny amount. I also had to raise the notch for the mag catch just a bit. The slide would lock open following the last shot, and feeding was good with WWB. I had issues with PDX1, but by that time the pistol was pretty dirty. It was at the end of 120 rounds. Even WWB and Kahr mags had issues the last little bit.

well i shot the cw45 with the new flush fit mag. several mags worth of 45 acp and no such problem not locking the slide back! im a maintenance man by trade and i figured out why it doesnt, made an adjustment and i had no problems!

FHBrumb and newkahrowner,
    Thanks for posting your experiences with the modifications. It's very good info and is sure to help others interested in going forward with a flush fit magazine.

well i shot the cw45 with the new flush fit mag. several mags worth of 45 acp and no such problem not locking the slide back! im a maintenance man by trade and i figured out why it doesnt, made an adjustment and i had no problems!
    newkahrowner,
    Would you mind explaining what adjustment you made?
    I imagine it will prove useful to someone down the road and I'd certainly appreciate knowing how you "got-er-done"
    Regards,
    Greg

with the chip mccormac mac. it has the metal follower. i noticed wile racking the slide, the reason it doesnt lock the slide back is because the follwer stays to the rear of the magazine. i removed it and bent the back of it that rides on the magazine keeping it to the front of the magazine hence locking the slide back. i had to adjust a few other things because doing this mod effects the way the round sits so i adjusted accordingly and it works fine and you do not have to do the slingshot method to chamber the first round, it just slides right on in since it sits so high.

with the chip mccormac mac. it has the metal follower. i noticed wile racking the slide, the reason it doesnt lock the slide back is because the follwer stays to the rear of the magazine. i removed it and bent the back of it that rides on the magazine keeping it to the front of the magazine hence locking the slide back. i had to adjust a few other things because doing this mod effects the way the round sits so i adjusted accordingly and it works fine and you do not have to do the slingshot method to chamber the first round, it just slides right on in since it sits so high.
    Good Fix. Keep an eye on the front of your mag well where the follower MAY contact your plastic frame. I put MAY in all caps because the two may come in contact or may not. If they do, metal beats plastic in most cases so you could see some unwanted wear on your frame. Not worth panicking over, but definitely worth keeping an eye on.

I just ordered some stuff from CMCtactical, including a Power Mag + 6-7 round follower/spring kit, as well as the 8-round kit. I also got one of the 8-round PM+ mags to try. I want to see if I can get something going with my collection of Officer's mags for the PM45. Maybe with a bit of tinkering I can find a combo that works. I have 7 or 8 different O6 or O7 mags for testing... incomplete, so far.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".