Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: CW45/P45: Flush fit magazine - UPDATED

Thanks Wynn

Well done, thank you. 1 mag ordered :-)

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    Here's a photo with a Kahr follower and spring installed in the modified officer's magazine (stock Kahr magazine on the right):

Any tricks to moving the Kahr follower and spring over to the modified mag?

Do you retain the 7-round capacity when doing this?

Quote Originally Posted by VAguy View Post
    Any tricks to moving the Kahr follower and spring over to the modified mag?

Do you retain the 7-round capacity when doing this?
    Here ya go:
    YouTube - Installing a Kahr follower into a modified Metalform Officer's magazine.

Unfortunately, no 7-round capacity with the Kahr follower. This is becuase of the way the Kahr follower is shaped: the larger coil, 7 round spring will not work with it, so you need to use the Kahr spring. This will limit you to 6 rounds (I haven't played with trimming the Kahr spring yet).

BTW, (as I didn't put it in the video) to remove the follower and spring from the Metalform magazine:
    Load four rounds and put something through the holes in the magazine body (same as in the video); remove the rounds, then shake/poke/wiggle/pull the follower out of the magazine. Now, put the magazine mouth up against something (so the spring doesn't fly out) and release the pressure on the magazine spring; once pressure is released, remove the spring from the magazine body.

Regards,
    Greg

nwohsy Guest

Not to hijack this thread, but it has been an inspiration to me. Last night I pulled out some of my 1911 magazines to experiment on my P45. I found out that my Wilson ETM 8 round magazine fit perfectly without modification to the magazine release or feed lips, however there was no slide lock. I then tried an 8 round Chip McCormick Power Mag, which snapped into place, but was a little tight at the top. After a little file work as described in this thread, I found that the Chip McCormick Power Mag snapped into place and created slide lock using its' Shooting Star follower.

I then took everything to the range today. The Wilson fed perfectly, however there was no slide lock, as previously mentioned. The Power Mag fed perfectly and created slide lock. Now I realize that both of these magazines are 8 rounders that stick out the bottom. But wait, there's more.

Chip McCormick makes a 7 round officers Match Grade magazine that would appear to be a flush fit with just a slight modification to the top of the magazine. When I returned home from the range I ordered 3 which I will modify.

I am cautiously optimistic. A P45 with a 7 round flush fit magazine that creates slide lock would be very cool. I'll report back with the results.

A six rounder might fit, but seven shouldn't fit flush. I've gotten 6 in the Kahr tube with metal followers. Look at Bawanna's post with pictures. He posted pic of 7, 8, and 10 rounders inserted into his PM45.... Oh, apples and oranges... Doh! Pee 45!
    Never mind.
    Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

nwohsy,
    Welcome to the forums!

Your input to this thread is most welcome. I really look forward to hearing how the Chip McCormick 7 round officer's magazines work out.

I tried every combo of springs and followers I had on hand for my 1911s. My government size Wilson mags will lock the slide back, but the follower gets in the way afterward (have to drop it to close the slide); still it might be worth looking at one of their Officer's size magazines.
    The Colt OACP magazine is a very good fit and would probably need only a slight amount of material removed from it compared to the other Officer's sized magazines I have on hand. I've used it's follower and spring in my modified magazine and it works fine: locks the slide back, but it's only six round capacity.
    None of my 7 round Officer's magazines (Mec-Gar and Shooting Stars) will lock the slide back, putting their springs and followers into the modified magazine yields the same results. That said, I don't think it would be much of a chore to build one of their metal followers up high enough to work the slide stop. I think a piece of shim stock soldered, screwed, or glued into place would do the trick.

Anyway, keep us apprised of your efforts and thanks for the solid input already given.

Regards,
    Greg

BTW, I really like carrying with the flush fit magazine. I have about 300 rounds through it (using both the 6 and 7 round follower/spring combos) with nary an issue.

I like that 7 round option, and for me if an 8 sticks out a little more I'm cool with that too. I think I may use some of my older 1911 mags and see what happens.
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.

Long time ago I posted this thread:http://kahrtalk.com/pm-series-pistol...y-pm-45-a.html

I would think that with the right mag you should be able to get 7 in a P pistol, I got 6 into the PM. In fact, if you look at the pic you'll see that my set up is actually a bit less than flush with the butt of the PM.

Be nice if Kahr would adopt these changes so we could have more rounds in factory mags.

Anybody at Kahr listening?

Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    Long time ago I posted this thread:http://kahrtalk.com/pm-series-pistol...y-pm-45-a.html

I would think that with the right mag you should be able to get 7 in a P pistol, I got 6 into the PM. In fact, if you look at the pic you'll see that my set up is actually a bit less than flush with the butt of the PM.

Be nice if Kahr would adopt these changes so we could have more rounds in factory mags.

Anybody at Kahr listening?

Cat
    Cat,
    Thanks for pointing out the thread on your PM45 magazine project; that was very nicely done. Kudos to VMO as well!
    There was also excellent input from other members in both threads, so I've taken the liberty of including links to both threads and some quoted posts here.
    Regards,
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    I have been lurking here for awhile, registered today to tell y'all a story.

I love my PM45. I've had to work with it a bit to make it work like it should, even had to send it back to Kahr. They paid both ways, and now it works. Very accurate pistol too.

One thing I would change about it however is no flush mag. I want both, the regular mag and a flush mag, like the PM9. I emailed Kahr about it. Nice guy emailed my back quickly and said they have no plans to make any. *sigh*

I tried shortening one of the factory mags but I failed. Stainless steel is sometimes no fun to work with.

Then the other day here I read a post by vom about using a Colt 1911 mag in his. Ooooo. Lights went on. So I grabbed one of mine, a Springfield Armory seven round blued mag and went to work. Cut it, and spot welded the base back on. Took it out and shot it, nope, the base came of right away.

So, back to the shop. Thought about solder, but didn't like the idea. So I broke out the oxy/actelene and just welded the base plate to the mag.

Shot it tonight and it works! Fed great, the only thing it didn't do was lock the slide back as of course the two followers are very different. Here's a pic:

I did make one small alteration to the pistol, I filed a small notch in the frame to clear the toe of the mag base plate. I wanted flush!

Thanks for the inspiration vmo, now this fine piece is a pocket piece at last.

Cat
    http://kahrtalk.com/pm-series-pistol....html#post9213

Quote Originally Posted by vmo View Post
    Update:

Sorry it took so long to get the photos uploaded. I needed to do some testing and tweaking. I've got them reliable and useable. Here are the pictures:

It sure fits in the pocket better now. You would be amazed how much space 1/4 inch takes up in a pocket!

Vmo
    http://kahrtalk.com/pm-series-pistol...mags-pm45.html
    Last edited by gb6491; 09-21-2010 at 03:08 PM.