Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Intermittent No Reset

Default Intermittent No Reset

I bought my K40 second hand but it was new and never fired. I cleaned the assembly lube out, including the striker channel and lubed it, but kept the striker channel dry. I also had to clean sticky stuff off the magazines. Function checked it and it dry fires every time. I took it to the range and only shot 35 rounds through it because I mostly brought 300 Blackout ammo to shoot. After the first magazine it started failing to reset the trigger every other round or so from both magazines, so I would pull the slide back a little to reset it and then fired. Extraction, ejection and feeding was flawless. I brought it home, cleaned it including the striker channel, but this time took out the cam and ejector and cleaned and lubed them also. I also cleaned where the trigger bar slides and made sure no gunk was in there or in the notch in the slide. It still resets when I dry fire so seems to work. I just got 100 rounds of Winchester White Box in the mail and will give you an update next week.

I have researched on this forum a ton and everytime someone has this problem and sent it into Kahr, Kahr either reworks or replaces the trigger bar. My trigger bar is making good contact with the cam and is not touching the magazine.

I called Kahr about a month ago to see when it was manufactured because the test casings weren't included and they said 4/11/2014 so I doubt they will honor the 5-year warranty since it probably expired last year. But at least you can buy new parts from their website. I will take it to the range and see if it works itself out, if not I will buy a new trigger bar (around $20 shipped).

I think you sre spot on suspecting the striker channel. I polished mine out on a CW9 one time as it had some burs in there. It too would not reset. I’ve read of others finding shavings from the manufacturing process in there. Hope you got it/get it figured out!
    By the way, I’ve found that fuzzy pipe cleaners work great to clean out the firing pin hole. Also, check your striker assembly for burs and or shiny spots where things may be rubbing one another raw in a sense. You can polish any of those areas to reduce friction. I may be singing to the choir as you sound like you know more than the average bear.

I think you might have nailed it cleaning up the trigger bar too. Let us know how it goes.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

If you don't figure it out and I'm pretty sure you will, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Kahr just fixed it under warranty either.
    They say the warranty period but often times they don't pay much attention to that.

Hopefully it gets worked out and you don't have to go that route.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Thanks guys. Bawanna, I saw your posts many times while researching, you know a great deal. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see about the warranty. Oh, and I forgot to mention that I cleaned and lubed it according to the stickies here on the forum.

I have seen similar post with the Beretta Nano and Pico. These are modular pistols. The problem was that when some folks changed grips, they would not seat the chassis correctly and would misaligne the trigger bar. Yours seems to be fine, but well maybe? Also the striker channel could be something I would also check as you have done.
    I bought a used CM9 that fortunately ran flawless from the start, but the previously owner appeared to have never once cleaned the gun. The Magazines were full of some terrible lube. I cleaned every thing in a sonic cleaner. I did have a problem with the mag release in the fact that the mags would not spring out. I replaced the parts for that and every thing is fine.
    Saw this on deburing the striker channel with a ceramic file. Good luck, would be very interested in how things turn out. Please post a follow up.

I saw that video too, I believe he had a gritty trigger and felt some machining cuts in the striker channel. Mine was less than ideal but due to assembly lube in that area, I kept it dry and it's very smooth. I'm going to the range today with my pistol only, won't be shooting my AR, my two magazines (6 and 7-round) and 100 rounds of Winchester White Box 165 grain.

UPDATE

I went to the range and it failed to reset every single time. So I only shot 4 magazines (26 rounds) to save my ammo since the problem was worse this time. I will call Kahr on Monday to see what the recommend, and if it isn't covered under warranty I will order a new trigger bar.
    Last edited by KahrK40; 02-08-2020 at 01:23 PM.

I called Kahr and waited for 20 minutes for someone to pickup then it directed me to their voicemail so I left a message. Then I went ahead and ordered a new trigger bar for $19.10 shipped. The pistol only has two main pins and I have worked on many pistols including 1911s. I'm glad I have a steel-framed Kahr, they look more forgiving to work on. So once it arrives I'll install it and head back to the range. It could be up to two weeks until my next update.

On my K9 I had to buy a small arbor press to get the trigger pin out. Hope yours comes out and goes in easier than mine did! If you are close I can let you use mine!

EB760851-C7FB-43F0-B983-E003A6602720.jpg

Thanks for the heads up! I'll try to take it out tonight and see how it goes. I've seen others saying the same thing. All I was going to use is a bench block, punch and a hammer, ha.

*Very tight trigger pin. The 1/8" punch was a little big also and took some DLC off around the pin hole, nothing some flat black touch-up paint can't fix. I can't say I've had so much trouble with a pistol before, but the way it shoots and feels is why I'm going the length. Very nice for a .40.