Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Xssights   Tommy Gun
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Intermittent No Reset

They are worth it in my opinion too. I’ve put a gazillion hours into customizing my K9 (mostly polishing internally and externally). I’ve had a lot of pistols come and go over the years, but think I’ll hold onto this one! Again, good luck with it. : )

I missed a call and got a voicemail from Kahr today just saying they got my voicemail. However, I am very stubborn and like to fix things myself. I have my eye on the arbor press at Harbor Freight and have a trigger bar on the way. Just like studying for a test, or preparing for an engine swap, the acquisition of knowledge replaces intimidation.

They are not exactly lightning fast to return calls over there, as one of my previous posts also explained.
    You sound like me! That press may come in handy for other projects too. Since buying it, my son has pressed new bearings into his skateboard wheels multiple times. So, he has used it about 10 x’s as much as I have. Lol!
    I jacked that press up high as it would go, placed an appropriately sized punch under it and against the pin, then started cranking. I was amazed at how much pressure it took before it popped loose. And man did it POP! Scared me a bit, to say the least. I once pressed new/old wheel studs into/out of brake rotors for an old corvette I had. Pretty much the same. Tons of pressure, then POP! I had to take a break after the first one as I thought I would have a heart attack if I didn’t.
    Hope yours comes out like butter! : )

I replaced wheel studs on my Grand Cherokee last year and didn't have a press. I had to buy extra wheel nuts and washers and press them on with a breaker bar, kind of hard to explain. If I had the press it would have been so much easier! As far as bearings, I've always had to buy assemblies (wheel hub, compressor, pulley, etc) with the bearing already installed or use a shop's hydraulic press because I don't have one. You simply cannot have too many tools, only too little space to keep them.

I'm not the type to give up on a mechanism made up of replaceable parts. I've seen many people post threads saying they'll never buy "insert brand" of pistol ever again because they had a couple of malfunctions. It can drive people mad because they think it's cursed and needs to be discarded. I look at it as me having the inclination to fix it so that's why it was chosen for me. Then once it's fixed I'll be rewarded with reliability and will never want to get rid of it.

So true about the tools AND you are saving a ton of money!
    I can’t tell you how many “broken” pistols I’ve bought at a steal, only to spend a few hours, or a few dollars on a part and get it singing. Extractors rusted in place, trigger bars slipped off of pins, feed ramps rough, hammer dragging, etc. etc.
    Too bad that so much of the youth today seem to have bought into either buying stuff that you just throw into the trash once there is an issue, don’t learn to work on things or just pay someone else to do it for them. Trying to get my son to be different from his buddies.
    At times, my work has me slammed, so I have to pay someone to do things. If I’m free though, I count the dollars I saved by doing it myself as income. In fact, if I get a $1k estimate to do something at my house, then I do it myself, my wife will gladly hand me anywhere from $200-$500 to spend as I wish. I loooooove that!

I just got off the phone with Kahr and they said the warranty is only good for the original owner. I bought it second hand from a guy who kept it new in the box, and it indeed was new. Only a tiny mark on the barrel from the test fire, assembly lube, sticky mags, etc. Now the barrel has many marks after only 60 rounds. The Kahr tech also said they use a small press to take out the trigger pins on K/MK/T pistols. He also said the trigger bar is most likely the issue, and he asked if I wanted to send it in. I told him no thanks and that I would spend less money installing it myself (said it nicely of course). So its all good, I just need to get a press now.

I tried a bigger hammer and ended up getting the pin halfway out before my punch broke. It was from Wal-Mart. I'm going to Ace to buy a Dasco punch and will try that. 3/32nds is the only size I can find locally that fits.

*I decided to take it to a professional here in town. It turns out the guy working on it owns a Kahr himself and knows a lot about them.
    Last edited by KahrK40; 02-13-2020 at 12:32 PM.

I took the new trigger bar to the shop yesterday and the guy said he broke the spacer getting the pin out, so he has to wait on that part to come in before working on it. I have since bought a Ruger LCP as a backup gun. I took it to the range, and the slide would not go fully into battery half of the time. Bumping the back of the slide fixed it sometimes, and others it wouldn't budge so I would have to extract the round. One time it was so stuck that the extractor came out completely and I couldn't find it on the floor. So I went home and ordered a new extractor, plunger and also a 13 lb recoil spring to hopefully fix the failure to return to battery problem. I wanted a CW380 but I'm on a very tight budget so I opted for the LCP, which was $100 less. It's all good, I still have my Rambo knife.

Quote Originally Posted by KahrK40 View Post
    I took the new trigger bar to the shop yesterday and the guy said he broke the spacer getting the pin out, so he has to wait on that part to come in before working on it. I have since bought a Ruger LCP as a backup gun. I took it to the range, and the slide would not go fully into battery half of the time. Bumping the back of the slide fixed it sometimes, and others it wouldn't budge so I would have to extract the round. One time it was so stuck that the extractor came out completely and I couldn't find it on the floor. So I went home and ordered a new extractor, plunger and also a 13 lb recoil spring to hopefully fix the failure to return to battery problem. I wanted a CW380 but I'm on a very tight budget so I opted for the LCP, which was $100 less. It's all good, I still have my Rambo knife.
    I'd think it would take some abuse to break the spacer while taking the axis pin out. I say that because once the pin starts to move, it doesn't take much force to push it out. I guess there could be a contributing factor that led to the spacer being broken, but I wonder if the design of the spacer makes him think that he broke it:

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

I bought an LCP for a steal once. I think the guy thought he was getting one over on me. The extractor was rusted in place. (second gun I was sold with this easy to fix issue). It too would not return to battery w/out a bump. I took out the extractor, soaked it in warm vinegar (white) overnight to remove rust, scrubbed it clean, oiled the extractor, it’s little groove, the spring, pin, etc and it ran like a champ. Sometimes an extractor issue will mimic a recoil spring issue in my experience.
    Do not soak an extractor spring in warm, white vinegar. It will eat it up. Ask me how I know. : )