Tommy Gun   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Magguts +1 for my PM9

The 6 to 7 conversions were a REAL challenge for me, with 70 yr old hands. I did get them done however on 2 magazines and they are working flawlessly.
    I'd contact MagGuts with your Pierce extension question. Seems like I read somewhere that they don't work with one, but I can't give you a reference for that.

Quote Originally Posted by guido4198 View Post
    The 6 to 7 conversions were a REAL challenge for me, with 70 yr old hands. I did get them done however on 2 magazines and they are working flawlessly.
    I'd contact MagGuts with your Pierce extension question. Seems like I read somewhere that they don't work with one, but I can't give you a reference for that.
    Thanks for the help. For some reason my computer is blocking their email to post to. If you do get a answer a please let me know. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by King Rat View Post
    Lol, the maggut springs in the video sure look like do not have anywhere near the pressure of the new one's I receive. Not the most fun things in the world to install. Does anyone know if Maggut will fit with a Pearce Extension grip?

Thanks
    I'm assuming you are referring to the pinky extension only and not some +1/2 extension. I have a Pearce extension for the pinky, although I decided not to use them for different reasons. I can't see any reason why the pinky extension only version would not work with the MagGuts conversion. For the record, I have the MagGuts on my CM9 with the stock magazine baseplate and haven't had issues with the 6-7 conversion (only test fired 2-3 magazines worth of ammo).

I have a set of Pearce pinkie extensions that I removed from my CM9 magazines when I got the MagGuts 6+1 kits. I didn’t want to introduce anything non-Kahr when evaluating the new mag springs. Now that I have full confidence in MagGuts I might revisit the Pearce, but I’ll check with MagGuts first.

The 6 to 7 round kits are a little harder to install than the 7 to 8 round kits and the Magguts video showing the install is misleading. That being said, I converted two 6 round mags today. It took a minute or so per mag. Took them to the range, ran several different types of ammo and everything fed fine. I'm having a problem with my CM9 slide locking back after the last round so there was no lock back with the Magguts converted mags. I'll post separately about the slide lock problem.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

I took the two six-7 round magguts conversions to the range today. They ran ok and I used steel case ammo to make sure these would work. I did notice that occasional when reloading a mag, the follower would push forward a tad and would have to move it back to reload. I also shot Speer Gold Dot Plus P Hollow points with no failures. That said, I prefer the Lakeline Metal Followers better than the Magguts with a Galloway plus 1 extension. They just seem to load better and I trust the set up more.

I got rid of MagGuts in all of my mags. After proper installation, numerous slidelock failing and stuck magazines and double/triple/quadruple checking for proper installation after 200+ rounds of fmj & hp combos, they just plain don't work in my gun and I cant be having that in a self defense situation. Stock is ok with me because with an extra stock mag carried, I'm fine with 13 rounds in total and my 100% reliability is back. If Kahr really wanted to squeeze another round into their 9-6 magazine, they would've designed the internals accordingly. The fact that they chose to forego this, is informing to me.

I love the aftermarket, but I'm going to slightly narrow down the categories within which I explore their offerings. Mag capacity ain't of 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by BubbleHead View Post
    I got rid of MagGuts in all of my mags. After proper installation, numerous slidelock failing and stuck magazines and double/triple/quadruple checking for proper installation after 200+ rounds of fmj & hp combos, they just plain don't work in my gun and I cant be having that in a self defense situation. Stock is ok with me because with an extra stock mag carried, I'm fine with 13 rounds in total and my 100% reliability is back. If Kahr really wanted to squeeze another round into their 9-6 magazine, they would've designed the internals accordingly. The fact that they chose to forego this, is informing to me.

I love the aftermarket, but I'm going to slightly narrow down the categories within which I explore their offerings. Mag capacity ain't of 'em.
    I hear ya. I do not plan to buy any more magguts. I stopped by my LGS today on the way home and shot the two I had. They ran fine, but I did have one round where the slide did not lock back. This threw me a little. I never had this happen before. Just feel uneasy about them. Like you just do not buy into the high round count/Mag capacity. I also like the fact that I can buy Wolf springs to replace my older springs. Some folks say Magazine Springs last forever. Not in that belief either. I will probably keep the two mags I have with the magguts I have now and just use these for range work and just buy two more stock magazines. That said, my CW380 seems to run fine with them.

Quote Originally Posted by King Rat View Post
    Lol, the maggut springs in the video sure look like do not have anywhere near the pressure of the new one's I receive. Not the most fun things in the world to install. Does anyone know if Maggut will fit with a Pearce Extension grip?

Thanks
    They are absolutely compatible. I prefer not to use magguts as I mentioned before, but that's another topic. For those who've had better luck, more power to you.

Renton, WA, (King County) 25 miles from Seattle

I have Magguts flat spring and follower installed in two of my PM9 mags (also in my M&P Shield 9). The installation of the Magguts is not difficult if you do it this way: Push the "cup" with a thin blade screwdriver deep down into the magazine. Take a nail or really thin screwdriver (I use a jeweler's driver), push it through the magazine's sight hole just above the cup. That holds the major portion of the coiled spring in place leaving only a couple of the flat spring rungs extended through the bottom of the magazine. They are now easily pushed down into the magazine, the base plate slips right on, remove the jeweler's screwdriver/nail. Done. Total time 30 seconds.

Unrelated to this procedure, I replaced that hideous stubby Kahr +1 bottom plate in the Kahr 9-7 magazine with the Lakeland plate. I also installed a Magguts spring and follower so that mag is now 8+1. It looks good and feels great in hand. I consider the PM9 set up this way a decent carry gun with total of 9 rounds. I added a Hogue Sig P365 grip sleeve, it fits perfectly, feels great in-hand.

(My PM9 is my first Kahr and number #45 in my collection. I jumped on it when I stumbled across it one of my LGS's at $319, ($348 out the door). She is such a sweet shooter that I recently added the CW45 (#46) but won't take possession of it for at least 10 more days. My PM9 is a Massachusetts compliant gun with external slide safety and loaded chamber indicator. I measured the trigger spring tension at 5 lbs so it appears some time in its history the spring was replaced. It is my understanding that MA compliant guns must have a 10 lb trigger so I assume that spring was replaced with a 5 lb spring.)
    Last edited by Scarpia; 08-01-2020 at 07:42 AM.