Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new

Thread: 357 mag ammo POI

Question 357 mag ammo POI

Greetings all -- I've got a new-to-me DE 357, and am having an interesting time with ammo and POI. My POI is 3-4 inches below my aim point at 7 yards.

I've tried several flavors of ammo from the "approved" list - American Eagle, Magtech, Federal, etc. with 158 grain projectiles. No difference.

If i go out to 15 yards, the POI is about 2 inches higher, so clearly the projectile is still on its way up in its trajectory when it meets the target. But, I prefer 7 yards for a variety of reasons, which I won't bore y'all with.

Does anyone have suggestions for different ammo, or a handload to try? I am giving thought to having adjustable sights installed, but would rather not do that right now.

FWIW, my 44 DE shoots to point of aim at 7 yards just fine.

Thanks. Would appreciate thoughts and suggestions.

Mark

I don't think the ammo is going to make much difference at those ranges really. I doubt there is a really wide range of ammo that will operate the firearm, which will hit much different inside 40~50 yards, in my experience with several different barrels. Except that Buffalo Bore 125gr. That stuff is insane @1758fps (850ft/lbs+)

Propped, I shoot 100 yard 12" Plate with mine frequently, and the elevations seem about right for 75 yards... not a lot of adjustment necessary for 100 yards with the barrels I have... but they are all Mk XIX barrels. (5 different barrels)

I run adjustable sights on a Mk XIX 357 though... this one... the inexpensive Millet rear and an expensive front sight from Dawson Precision that I calculated the needed height of using their sight calculator. (The Millet sights are for a different model range than my Desert Eagle, so the front sight is incorrect height)

If you do figure some commercial or custom loading out, please come back and share it... I would like to know.

Good luck.

MrBlackat