Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Xssights
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Used PM45 anything to watch out for? (updated)

I did some digging one time and I found out I believe the PM9 and PM45 use the same inner and outer springs in the recoil spring assembly. I believe the inner and outer were both 9 lb. springs.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Years back I measured the individual spring weights of the p380, pm9 & pm45 and posted the results. I'm too lazy to look for my notes and back then there wasn't much interest.

Quote Originally Posted by DJK11 View Post
    Years back I measured the individual spring weights of the p380, pm9 & pm45 and posted the results. I'm too lazy to look for my notes and back then there wasn't much interest.
    This it?
    I feel that the recoil spring on the PM45 should be a few pounds heavier. So, I cobbled up a compression spring gauge from a digital fish scale.

I compared the outer recoil springs from a PM9 and PM 45. The non-scientific results are:

PM9 OEM spring = 12.5 lbs.
    PM9 Wolff 20.5 lbs. set = 15 lbs.
    PM 45 OEM spring = 12.5 lbs.

I have not tested the complete recoil assembly yet, need to build a fixture. The tests were with new unused springs and the springs in the pistols with about 1000 rnds. each. The results with new and used springs were essentially the same with in a couple ounces. The springs were compressed to 90%.

I may try the Wolffs spring in my PM45. Any thoughts?
    http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...recoil-springs

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

YES, that's it. Great detective work. I got into a debate with Jocko about recoil springs more times than I want to admit. There are posts where I measured the p380 springs and mic the coil diameter. There is a post where I measured the inner spring on the two spring setup.

I remember the inner springs were the same.

Thanks Greg
    Last edited by DJK11; 03-14-2020 at 04:24 AM.

YES, that's it. Great detective work. I got into a debate with Jocko about recoil springs more times than I want to admit. There are posts where I measured the p380 springs and mic the coil diameter. There is a post where I measured the inner spring on the two spring setup.

I remember the inner springs were the same.

Thanks Greg
    So, following your thread, are you suggesting the 20.5lbs PM9/40 spring (SKU 52820)? It sounds like you stated that the OEM spring for the PM9 and PM45 were the same and lighter than the aforementioned spring. Any update on results with the PM45 and heavier spring?

Currently, I've been loading with Speer GD SB for the PM45, but I often prefer the +P loadings e.g. Rem GS 185gr +P when I can find them (often used in my CW45). I also shoot and sometimes carry WWB 230gr JHP. Fed HST sometimes makes it into the mix, too.

Any suggestions for the CW45 and TP45? Heck, while we're at it, any suggestions for the CW40 and T40?

A nine year old thread and things have changed. My pm45 at the time was the first iteration with the shorter slide. The outer recoil spring had 13 coils as did the pm9 at that time. Kahr lengthen the slides .125 as well as the recoil assembly. The outer spring then had 15 coils. My frame was getting beat to hell from the slide, hence I summarized a stronger spring was needed. While the stronger spring helped a lot, it wasn’t the total fix. Kahr CS machined the FRAME, then replaced, then modified again for the fix.

I haven’t purchased Wolff springs in a few years and at the time their pm9 springs had 13 coils. Not sure if they now have 15. A 13 coil spring would be too short for the current crop of pistols.

I hope my explanation is clear?
    Last edited by DJK11; 03-16-2020 at 01:58 PM.

A nine year old thread and things have changed. My pm45 at the time was the first iteration with the shorter slide. The outer recoil spring had 13 coils as did the pm9 at that time. Kahr lengthen the slides .125 as well as the recoil assembly. The outer spring then had 15 coils. My frame was getting beat to hell from the slide, hence I summarized a stronger spring was needed. While the stronger spring helped a lot, it wasn’t the total fix. Kahr CS machined the slide, then replaced, then modified again for the fix.

I haven’t purchased Wolff springs in a few years and at the time their pm9 springs had 13 coils. Not sure if they now have 15. A 13 coil spring would be too short for the current crop of pistols.

I hope my explanation is clear?

Very clear. Thanks!