Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used PM45 anything to watch out for? (updated)

Default Used PM45 anything to watch out for? (updated)

**Update 2/27/2020: http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...n-PM45-Chipped
    **Update 2/29/2020: No problems at range, see post #5 below
    **Update 3/10/2020: new RSA, see post #6 below

I'm thinking about picking up a used PM45 at my local dealer. Anything I should look for regarding issues with that model?
    Last edited by Scott321; 03-10-2020 at 10:05 PM.

Really hard to diagnose issues without shooting. Unless there's obvious abuse your most likely ok. There are no pandemic issues with the PM45 that I'm aware of.

If you find an issue bring it to the board and we'll work it out together. Some smart cookies here and I know a few of them.
    I like cookies too.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Put deposit down. Might wait until next paycheck to pickup so I get the ammo and range discount.

Yes give us a range report. I just recently decided to give the all-steel 9mm version a second look. I have been carrying a Kahr CW 45 but I am not happy with the flinch I seem to have learned in the last 15 years of not shooting every week. I suspect a PM45 to have a decent amount of kick but you are likely a better shot than I am.

I did a short range session today. The range was closing by the time I got there and I wanted to test my replacement MagGuts in the K9, reaffirm reliability with the MagGuts in my CM9, reaffirm my CW40 was working (second range session since warranty work), and make sure the Beretta mods I did were working, so I rushed everything. Tested only for functionality and just noted casual accuracy.

With two 45-5 and one 45-6 I had zero malfunctions with various FMJ, and Speer GD SB hollowpoints. The kick seemed about on par with my CW40 (now that the CW40 is broken in). The CW40 seemed like a heavier kick when new... although maybe the Hogue wraps on the 40 also affected the reduced recoil feel? Or maybe the 40 target ammo I grabbed for this session was downloaded? Also, I don't know if I need a new recoil spring on the PM45 so that might have affected recoil feel. It felt like maybe 10% more felt recoil than on the CW45 with similar loadings.

I didn't test for accuracy, but it seemed to be on par with my other Kahr's while rushing though the testing. I just finished rounding off the corners on the backstrap and one corner of the magazine baseplate to have it feel like I want in the hand. Now I can finally order a holster for it, as this will replace my CM9 for summer carry.

Side note... it's about the same size as my K9. The PM45 is a hair shorter in length, a little bit shorter in the grip, but a little thicker overall. However, the palm swell of the K9 grip is wider than the PM45 grip.

Another update... I installed a new PM45 RSA from Kahr yesterday and took it to the range today since my holster came in and I'm planning on using this as my warm weather EDC. The PM45 was very accurate, natural to aim for me, and I had zero malfunctions. IMO, with the new RSA, there seemed to be less "thud" during recoil. It was more like the push my CW45 gives me, although the perceived recoil still seemed to be a tad more than the CW45 (as expected). I'm keeping the old RSA as a backup, but am wondering where to get a replacement outer spring for it.

Additionally, I brought my CW40, as I wanted more time on the range with it. With the new RSA in the PM45, the greater perceived recoil and snappiness in the CW40 was noticable, but not bad. With target ammo, the CW40 had one premature slide lock... I don't think it was me, but it just means I need more time on the range with it.

Anyone know where to get a replacement outer spring for the PM45?

Anyone know where to get a replacement outer spring for the PM45?

My first thought was contact Kahr, they may have springs. If available, just purchase a couple TP45 springs and cut to fit.

Might be able to get that spring from Wolff, I'm not positive but they are Wolff springs. Seems some items you can't buy direct from Wolff, must go to Kahr, others you can, not sure what the deal is there.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

When I spoke with Wolff about PM45 springs, they told me that they have never seen a PM45 and therefore don't have a spring. The guy I spoke with did not have kind words regarding Kahr.

Kahr CS told me the outer recoil spring on the plastic pistols are the same just a different coil count. So I purchased a bunch of TP45 springs and just trim to fit my pistols.

One would think Wolff would speak kindly of Kahr since they make all their springs. That's strange indeed.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan