Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MK9 Thoughts

Default MK9 Thoughts

I've gotten into Kahrs the last couple of years. Presently have a K9, P9 and my recent P380 I bought for pocket carry. I was thinking of getting a PM9 for a smaller 9mm option to supplement the P380. Now that I have my pocket holster for the P380 I find the P380 perfect for the pocket and am coming to the conclusion that I don't want anything bigger in my pocket. Since pocket carry is off the option list for a micro 9mm I think I'd rather get a MK9. I much prefer steel/alloy to polymer and think with a good belt and IWB holster the added weight would not be a problem. Plus the MK9 is just plain sexy. My only mild concerns are with the frame/slide cracks I've read about in the past. If I find a relativity recent manufactured one should I be good to go? Also have a question about leather. I noticed the PM9 is .1 longer than a MK9, should i get leather for a PM9 giving me the option of using the holsters for both guns if I decide to pick up a PM9 at a later date?

If you like your K9, you'll like an MK9. I don't know if an MK in .40 would be more or less susceptable to cracking than a 9mm. Sounds like a good idea for the holsters, if your positive that they would fit...………..I carried mine in front pocket and in leather IWB. Weight was never an issue with me. Personally, I don't care much for IWB, but it was as comfortable as it could ever be. I used a very minimal style leather holster with plenty of purchase. It works. It was always one of my favorite firearms...……………………………………………………...

I carry my MK40 in my shorts pocket all summer long. Used to carry my MK9 before I retired it. I have about 6 pairs of the same style shorts in different colors that have deep front pockets with the lower part covered by another flapped pocket. No printing and very comfortable. The MK models are extremely nice and also very reliable. I also buy the shorts in one size larger than I actually need so that in the event I want something with a little more capacity I can carry comfortably iwb.

These are the holsters that I have for mine.
    Last edited by Cokeman; 03-06-2020 at 05:11 AM.

The MK9 is noticeably heavy, but everyone feels different about it. I personally don't like having a chunk of metal banging into my leg when I walk. I'd rather use my back pocket as long as my shirt or a pocket flap can cover it.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, SP101

Thanks for the info guys. I started searching for a new MK9 and the one I want seems hard to find. Kahr's website shows an MK9 Elite with standard sights but all new ones out there seem to come with the 3 dot night sights. My aging eyes do much better with the bar dot set up. I hit up a bunch of websites to get a notification if they get a standard sight version in stock. We'll see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnett View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I started searching for a new MK9 and the one I want seems hard to find. Kahr's website shows an MK9 Elite with standard sights but all new ones out there seem to come with the 3 dot night sights. My aging eyes do much better with the bar dot set up. I hit up a bunch of websites to get a notification if they get a standard sight version in stock. We'll see what happens.
    Don't overlook Gunbroker.com.

I don't like "3 dot" sights either. I like "bar dot" but I do want to try XS Sights.

If you have to, get a used one with 3 dot sights and have standard Kahr "bar dot" sights put on it.

Or just buy the one with night sights, replace them with bar dots from Kahr, and sell the night sights here. A little bit of an extra challenge but worth it in the end. Assuming of course you're equipped and willing to replace the sights yourself.

I love the XS sights myself. Have them on my PM45. If you like the bar dot, you'll get along real fine with the XS.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Oh? Well that is good news. I have been a fan of XS sights for 20+ years, back when the company was called "Ashley Express," but never got to try any out.