Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Owner With Time Sensitive Reliability Issues

Default New Owner With Time Sensitive Reliability Issues

Hi; I'm Joe, and I think this is my first post here. Last summer I got a 2015 K9, fired a few hundred rounds through it. Went pretty well. I encountered a couple of what I thought were failures to feed, and I just pulled back on the slide a bit to get going again - but more on this later.

Last month, I got a 2003 T9. This has horrible premature slide lock issues. I have the option to get a refund on this gun until next week, AND, the store has another, much newer T9 available. I test fired this newer gun - five rounds each through both magazines, and it functioned perfectly.

Yesterday, I talked to Kahr tech support about my gun. They seemed a bit terse and impatient. They insisted I inspect the contact between the slide lock lever and its spring with the slide on, so that I really couldn't see the contact, and discouraged me from removing the slide, which would allow me to see this easily. They had me order a new slide lock lever spring. It should arrive tomorrow.

After the unpleasant phone call, I removed the slide and saw that, yes, the spring is above the slide lock lever - but I think it was too far above it. At rest, it did not contact the slide lock lever - the lever could rattle up and down a bit. I was unable to bend the spring down. I have so far been unable to remove the existing spring - I could not pull it out of the frame, and I was afraid of breaking it off in the from. At this point, I'm confident that I've pretty much trashed that spring. Could anyone advise me on the removal and replacement of that spring?

In addition to these spring issues, I also noted that the top rounds in my magazines were being moved far forward. Simply chambering a round was enough to move the next round forward - it is not necessary to fire the gun. Same problems with two different FMJ "range" cartridges. The newer T9 at the store did not allow the top rounds to go forward. I was not able to inspect the slide lock lever spring on this newer gun.

Now I'm wondering if my K9 was really failing to fire, or if it was premature lock-back that I was fixing by pulling the slide back. I'm on my way back to the range today to shoot the K9. I understand that the K9 has a completely different slide lock lever and spring. But:

1). If my K9 is locking back prematurely, I'm inclined to get a refund on my T9, and walk away from Kahr.
    2). If my K9 is not locking back prematurely, I'm inclined to get a refund on my T9, and buy the newer, functioning T9.

I guess what I'm saying is I'm afraid to get into a rabbit whole, trying to fix my current T9. I don't have confidence in either the trouble shooting/parts swapping tech support, and I don't have confidence that Kahr would get it right if I sent them the gun. I've done a bunch of reading about premature slide lock, and it sounds like some people achieve success, and some people don't.

I'd love to have both my guns run well - I really like them, and am fascinated by the feel of their operating systems. But I don't want to take on a new hobby of diagnosis and repair. As I implied earlier, I need to make my decisions quickly.

Sorry to dump a problem on everyone with my first post - but I could very much use anyone's help. What do you folks think?

Just called Kahr again. Gunsmiths are not in today.

The slide lock spring on my CM9 comes out by removing the screw that holds it in place with a T5 Torx screwdriver.

I’ve been having problems with my CM9 slide not locking back. Greg and Bawanna have been very helpful. There’s a recent thread with pictures on this issue. I haven’t tested mine yet to see if it’s fixed.

Hopefully they will chime in.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

I've taken out that screw. I'm subsequently unable to pull the spring away from the frame; to get it out of the seating hole in the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by duegatti View Post
    I've taken out that screw. I'm subsequently unable to pull the spring away from the frame; to get it out of the seating hole in the frame.
    The Slide Release Lever Spring has a straight leg that goes into that hole. It should pull right out, but I suppose some grime or maybe thread locker could be impeding it. I'd try prying it lightly, maybe use a little WD40 on it. If that's a no go, take the grips off and hit the area with some heat (hair dryer should do the trick), then give it another try.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

As mentioned in the earlier mentioned thread one should never bend the slide lock spring but loosen the attaching screw and rotating it as needed.
    Your rounds moving forward is quite common in almost all semi auto's and generally not an issue.

You understandably seem to have lost confidence in this T9 and although I think it's fixable fairly easy, since your confidence is gone you might be more comfortable going after the second one.

Remember the T5 screw that holds the spring is screwing into polymer, so just snug, its easy to strip the threads out.

Keep us posted, here to help if we can.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Hang in there, you outta be able to get it running without too much trouble or money. Most likely just that spring issue. As usual I think Greg nailed it above.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Well, I put 150 rounds through my K9, and it ran like a Glock. Kahr did ship my springs today; so I should get them tomorrow. The woman who drives the FedEx Express truck is very attractive. The newer T9 has some grips that have beautiful vertical grain, but don't fit perfectly. I notice on the web store that they caution us that some fitting may be required, and longer screws are necessary. The grips did seem to make for a bigger overall grip. So are new T9 grips a crap shoot nowadays?

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    The Slide Release Lever Spring has a straight leg that goes into that hole. It should pull right out, but I suppose some grime or maybe thread locker could be impeding it. I'd try prying it lightly, maybe use a little WD40 on it. If that's a no go, take the grips off and hit the area with some heat (hair dryer should do the trick), then give it another try.

Regards,
    Greg
    I was prying it, and that was what bent it, and made me worry that I might snap the straight leg off into the hole. I'll see if I have some fine needle nose pliers; see if I can grab that thing closer to the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    As mentioned in the earlier mentioned thread one should never bend the slide lock spring but loosen the attaching screw and rotating it as needed.
    Your rounds moving forward is quite common in almost all semi auto's and generally not an issue.

You understandably seem to have lost confidence in this T9 and although I think it's fixable fairly easy, since your confidence is gone you might be more comfortable going after the second one.

Remember the T5 screw that holds the spring is screwing into polymer, so just snug, its easy to strip the threads out.

Keep us posted, here to help if we can.
    Wait; what? This is a metal T9. Don't tell me that screw goes into polymer!?

I'd like to make my gun work. The trigger is superb - it is lighter and smoother than my K9 - which is already a very nice trigger.

I'm also not wild about how the grips fit on the newer gun, and don't know if it is possible to source grips that fit as well as those on my gun.

Does the new rear dovetail give us more options for sights? Is that worth anything to me?