Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace

Thread: Shooting With Strobe

Default Shooting With Strobe

My nighstand pistol has a strobe. Something just dawned on me, which is that I have never practiced with the strobe on. I致e shot with it mounted, but not turned on. Have any of you practiced with your strobe on? Notice any differences, or corrections you were needing to make vs non strobe shooting. I知 not sure it would be adequate training for me to shoot at my usual indoor range with it, given it is well lit anyway. I知 just not wanting, or thinking it would not be a good idea, for my first shots with the strobe on to be when in the heat of the moment with an uninvited, late night visitor to my home.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsThaWord View Post
    My nighstand pistol has a strobe. Something just dawned on me, which is that I have never practiced with the strobe on. I致e shot with it mounted, but not turned on. Have any of you practiced with your strobe on? Notice any differences, or corrections you were needing to make vs non strobe shooting. I知 not sure it would be adequate training for me to shoot at my usual indoor range with it, given it is well lit anyway. I知 just not wanting, or thinking it would not be a good idea, for my first shots with the strobe on to be when in the heat of the moment with an uninvited, late night visitor to my home.
    Good points! I carry a strobing flashlight but have never shot with it. I am though, on very good terms with the indoor range and I am usually alone when I shoot there. I bet I could simply ask for the lights to be turned out and they'd do it for me, if I was alone.

I'll do that! Thanks for the suggestion.

*Got the idea for a strobing flashlight from "Kick A**" the movie. (Which is a great movie by the way).

Report back if you would. I may not get a chance to do that. Would be good to know what to expect.

I got over to the range but they were starting their weekly shooting match. I generally hit the range once a week, I will try for this next week for sure and hit you back with the most detailed review I can.

I've not shot with a strobe flashlight although I have one. I have shot at our academy range in the dark with a patrol car light bar going crazy behind us. It's distracting to say the least but focusing on the sights things were pretty much the same.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I've not shot with a strobe flashlight although I have one. I have shot at our academy range in the dark with a patrol car light bar going crazy behind us. It's distracting to say the least but focusing on the sights things were pretty much the same.
    I知 sure that would be distracting. I would like to try that though. Being where you worked I知 sure you had access to some good training and instruction.
    Will soon be going with friend to do some tactical training where he has been going for a few years now. They do all kinds of scenarios with all kinds of things to trip you up or distract you. I know real world stuff can be just about anything BUT what we experience just plinking at a range, so I知 up for some of that. Hope to never need to utilize what I learn, but should be entertaining to go through that stuff.

I've never shot with a strobe, but I'm not sure you will be able to even use the sights, especially if the target is moving. Pretty sure in a self defense scenario the target will not be stationary. Point shooting might be the way to go with a strobe. Let us know how things work out.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBert View Post
    I've never shot with a strobe, but I'm not sure you will be able to even use the sights, especially if the target is moving. Pretty sure in a self defense scenario the target will not be stationary. Point shooting might be the way to go with a strobe. Let us know how things work out.
    I have ambushed a few friends at night with the strobe and the reaction I got was "frozen in place." I train where I use the strobe, turn it on continuous mode, and then drop it. I believe most people will instinctively stare at the flashing light while I make good my escape or move and engage the bad guys from the side.

This will sound silly and it's fine....but life does imitate art. I got the idea for a strobing flashlight from the movie "Kick A**" and this scene in particular.

I was pleasantly surprised to learn non-police had access to such innovative tools!

Skip to 2:04 for the strobe effect in use: WARNING: BAD LANGUAGE AT THE VERY END OF THE CLIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SbnqIIkXQc