Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun

Thread: New Thompson 1927 A1 Issue Resolutions

Default New Thompson 1927 A1 Issue Resolutions

Greetings, I've read every single thread & post on 1927A1 issues & fixes here & anywhere else I could find them. I got a T5 aluminum receiver last year just before Christmas. I'm not a fan of aluminum but it just felt a lot more practical than the 13 pound steel carbines & I've had no issues with any of my aluminum framed lightweight handguns. Gun looked great at a glance but upon closer inspections it was rough as a cob. Stick magazine provided would not slide in & required a lot of sanding & smoothing before it would slip in & engage. First time at the range was a crap show of FTF's & FTE's with both stick & drum, that's when I started reading up on possible fixes.
    Disassembled the drum and worked on all the leading edges of the push pawls & ultimately got it so I could push out the rounds by hand & empty the drum. Went to work on the FTE and worked on the extractor profile & tension. Worked on the cocking knob that tore my hand up clearing every other shot & got it smoothed & reblued.
    Back to the range, function improved, drum ran 100%, some stick mag issues & the rear sights flew off & hit me in the head, back to the workshop. Drilled & tapped the upper for 10-32 screws & red locktite, the rear sight will not be coming off again. worked on the feed ramp to smooth out the bottom edge where I could see the case edges were gouging there & a but up the ramp too. Pulled all the wood off & sanded it down, re-stained & began applying coats of wax.
    Last weekend I took it back out to see how it would run & to also see if it liked my reloads & it ran quite well, several drums without issue but still having a FTF with the sticks on occasion.
    Really like the classic profile & it's pretty amazing that with the crude sights how easy it is to break clay pigeons at 50 yards one after another. So with 1,000 rounds fired to break it in along with my smoothing out the rough edges it should be a fun range gun, but for the asking price this should not have been necessary & will deter me from future Kahr product without doing a lot of homework first.

Nice work fixing the issues. Your right it shouldn't be necessary. My drum has always worked well, sticks can be a bit finicky with adjustments required. I have the steel 1927A1 and rarely shoot it, they do weigh a ton but I still love it.

I found the buttstock was way too long for me so I ordered a new set of wood and cut off a full 2 inches and refinished, left the original intact. Works a lot better for me.

Have to remember that while Kahr is the umbrella, Thompson, Auto Ordnance, and Magnum Research are still separate entities. All guns require research and honest reviews.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I still need to order a new stock and shorten it. I haven't had any problems with the stick magazine, but the drum I have to give a couple of extra twists so it will load all rounds into the chamber. I break it out whenever there is a group of folks wanting to do some shooting. The 1927A1 is always a hit with everyone. Heavy sucker, though.

With the stick mags the bolt will sometimes stop just a bit short of fully closing on the round, I know it's not because the recoil springs are to weak I'll keep working on my hand loads & see if I can come up with a 100% reliable combination.