Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Revolver guys: finally got my Andrews Leather "Slim Loader" pouch.

Default Revolver guys: finally got my Andrews Leather "Slim Loader" pouch.

I generally carry a J frame revolver in my front pocket but I have not been happy with reloading from a speed strip. So I ordered and finally received the Andrews' Leather Slim Loader Pouch and my feelings are mixed. I like the pouch: it's easy to draw the Safariland speed loader from, comfortable to wear, with easy on and easy off, but I suspect it'll get more attention than my Simply Rugged speed strip pouch.

I am going to give it a try when I go out tomorrow and see if I notice any curious looks.

I hesitated to get the speed strip pouch because it seems pretty long (I usually just throw a speed strip in my back pocket). Does it conform to the curve of your waist when you have it on?

I was looking at the Speed Beez speedloader holder myself, even though I'm not crazy about the plastic construction. What I can tell you, however, is thet with an untucked shirt or jacket the speed loaders typically hide pretty well. I carried a double-holder myself back when Model 19s were our duty weapons, and if you find the right spot on your belt it shouldn't print too much.

Quote Originally Posted by boscobarbell View Post
    I hesitated to get the speed strip pouch because it seems pretty long (I usually just throw a speed strip in my back pocket). Does it conform to the curve of your waist when you have it on?
    Note I have the "Simply Rugged" speed strip pouch. It does bend with my waist and I never notice it being on my belt. I have worn it since 2014 and in those six years of nearly daily wear, only one guy has outright asked "what is that?" The answer "flip phone case" worked!

A close friend asked me once, another guy assumed it was the Urban Carry holster, and a woman thought it was some sort of insulin pump. Other than those, the many thousands of people never said a word or gave it a second glance.

I appreciate the advice but I always tuck in my tee shirt. I don't like anything but clothing against my skin and if the piece is under my shirt, getting a speed loader then requires two hands! If I need my speed loader, I expect my other hand to be filled with my empty revolver.

I'll give it a try tomorrow when I go over to town.

If my memory serves me correctly, the speed strip's intended use was to top off a partially emptied revolver and as a way to keep loose rounds organized for pocket carry. I don't see how it was ever intended as a super quick reload for a revolver.
    I find them perfect for that intended purpose.
    If I feel (which I often do) the need for more rounds, I opt for my P365.
    "Never pet a burning dog"

I actually found a nice compact cell phone holder for my speed strips. Simple to use, Clips on, or through the belt loop. Has a magnetic closure. Cost around $10.00 For my LCR9mm I like just using a TK holder for my moon clips and and just put into my pocket. I hunt a lot way back in the swamps. Run into quite a few Black Bear, I carry my LCR9mm. (not for the bears, but for any two legged creatures). I started carrying about 12 years ago. Over time I realize I do not feel the need for extra magazines etc. But so far back in the woods, I will carry this as prescribed by my Doctor to keep the Moon clips dry and easy to carry. Holds three full moon clips. Also have some plastic containers.

Drawing, speed and accuracy have always been my main concern in all my training. In the large town I live in, I do not ever recall more and three or 4 rounds fired in decades, unless some drive bys in the hood. Besides, I have always felt if I cannot shoot the bad guy first and do it accurately, with the first or second round, I am most likely dead anyway.

Seriously thinking of getting another Smith 642 cut for moon clips. I see a price on Sportsmen's Guide that is reasonable.

The speed strip is an excellent example of a catchy name that is not accurate. LOL. Interesting how it was meant to top off a cylinder.

In 2012 I decided to go "all in" when it came to being armed. No more haphazard "throwing X firearm into a coat pocket." No more "my .22 NAA Mag Mini Revolver is sufficient." No more running around without a reload. I set min. caliber standards for myself, always carry in a holster, always carry a reload, etc.

I have never had more than one-flat tire at a time. However, I still carry an auto tire pump and a tire plug kit in addition to my spare tire, which I top off its air every time I change the oil. Most spare tires carried by drivers are flat.

As some guy somewhere on the internet put it: "so what are you going to do while you wait for police---wait around with an empty gun?"

The pill bottle is a good idea....not a fast reload, but a good way to carry those. I use pill bottles in the cars to carry change....3 bottles each car, one for nickles, one for dimes, and one for quarters, with color-coded lids. When I black powder hunt, I carry my extra powder charges in pill bottles.

I'll go out here directly and wear the Slim Loader pouch. We'll see who notices, if anyone.

I'm with Roscoe-learn those skills. Be fast, be accurate or be dead. Good info on Snubs here.

Great drills

The Langrish Drill with reload

https://www.imwithroscoe.com/

Going to order one of these

Quote Originally Posted by King Rat View Post

Going to order one of these

Who sells those?

I'm having a sort of personal renaissance myself wrt to revolvers. After trying every micro out there, and ending up with a few very good ones, I took my old 642 out to the range for the first time in many years. I had carried it as a BUG/light-duty gun for a decade or more, but had put it in the safe, untouched, for years when I became enamored with the micro .380s. But after worrying about magazines and ammo compatibility and proper lubrication and all the other things that trip up the little semis, the revolver was a breath of fresh air. And I have come to appreciate the old world engineering and solid builds of the little J-frames. I also find that shooting them well brings me the same sort of satisfaction as putting a sports car through its gears at speed...the mechanical connection and practiced precision is intoxicating.

Shortly thereafter, I bought an M&P 340, in part because I like the Big Dot sight, and in part because I figured that I should pack .357 if I was only going to have 5 rounds on tap. And then I shot it....ouch!!!!

Now I'm on a quest to find a lower-horsepower .357, because I just don't feel that the recoil/muzzle rise makes follow-up shots tactically feasible.

Barring that, I've considered the new Taurus 856, which brings me back to .38 but at least gives me 6 rounds vice 5.

And, of course, there is the Kimber K6S, which I have lusted over for quite a while. What a beauty!!

So I've got some decisions to make, but I definitely see a revolver in my EDC rotation at some point very soon.