Magnum Research new   Xssights   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Revolver guys: finally got my Andrews Leather "Slim Loader" pouch.

Quote Originally Posted by getsome View Post
    I carry my Pico around the house and for those very few times I have to wear a suit and it's ok but I fell much better with a 9mm but that said, some time ago I did a redneck wet newspaper test with several self defense .380 rounds and they all penetrated about 10-11 inches so I think that would definitely get a bad guys serious attention and I sure wouldn't want to stand in front of one but bigger is always better but if a .380 is all you can carry and you have good ammo it will do just fine in a pinch......
    I'm retired, so most days I'm at home or just doing errands around town (a quiet, suburban/rural town with the highest per capita income in the state). My point is that the Pico is really all I need for most days. On top of that, I'm in sweats about half the time because my main activity in retirement is working out...and the Pico is the perfect choice for carrying without a belt. When I head into the big city, or travel even a little farther from home, I usually opt for my P365. And home defense is my H&K P2000sk. But the Pico is pretty much my constant companion otherwise.

In a vacuum, I much prefer the P380...better geometry for me, better feel in the hand, better trigger. But it is really picky with ammo, and that just doesn't inspire confidence that it won't malfunction when I need it. Like I said, I never wanted or expected to really love the Pico...I bought it on a lark. But it has really proven itself to be a wonderful SD handgun in a smaller package.

" in a pinch."...…………...

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I'd carry both your snubbies before I'd stoop to a 380. One with a speed strip would be more than plenty.

Quite some time back I rented an LCR with my son to try out. 357 standard pressure. I shot one cylinder and put it down, had enough. Couldn't hit anything and it wasn't fun. My son finished off the box but didn't care for it either. It did feel good in hand but the looks to me were kind of a turn off. And I really like most Rugers. Especially revolvers. Never loved the P89's and 90's much but the work fine and most who have them love them.
    Or. a .380 in each pocket, one on each ankle, 2 on the waist and extra mags...……………………...that will stop em……………………………………………….

Quote Originally Posted by boscobarbell View Post
    I'm retired, so most days I'm at home or just doing errands around town (a quiet, suburban/rural town with the highest per capita income in the state). My point is that the Pico is really all I need for most days. On top of that, I'm in sweats about half the time because my main activity in retirement is working out...and the Pico is the perfect choice for carrying without a belt. When I head into the big city, or travel even a little farther from home, I usually opt for my P365. And home defense is my H&K P2000sk. But the Pico is pretty much my constant companion otherwise.

In a vacuum, I much prefer the P380...better geometry for me, better feel in the hand, better trigger. But it is really picky with ammo, and that just doesn't inspire confidence that it won't malfunction when I need it. Like I said, I never wanted or expected to really love the Pico...I bought it on a lark. But it has really proven itself to be a wonderful SD handgun in a smaller package.
    Well as far as the Pico goes, really do not have much to say that I already haven't. Just a huge Fan boy. I honestly believe it to be as far as ounce to ounce one of the best guns ever made. And even though I have a size large hand I shoot it better than the Kahr. The quality through out the Pico is top shelf on everything to include the fact that they ship it with a stainless steel guide rod. My first Pico is still being shot at the range and the amount of ammo fired through the gun is crazy. While I have not tried all ammo out there and stick with PrecisionOne for Defense, I just do not get failures. I buy PrecisionOne defense ammo in bulk, so always have plenty available.
    I love the Kahr's obviously, and will Carry the Kahr more than the Nano. And that is due to the light weight if the Kahr. The Nano is the most solid built Micro 9mm I have seen or shot. A very under rated firearm. I would have to go through my log, buy last Sept, I hit the 12,000 rd mark. Hope to hit the 20,000 mark this Sept. Just a solid built, smooth shooting Micro 9mm.

Shooting the 380 Pm yesterday I did realize there is one thing I do not care about on the Kahrs and that is the hulky take down lever. All these Micro 9mm and small guns need to be streamlined. While both the 380 and 9mm are easy shooters, the take down pin just gets in the way on recoil. I would like to see Kahr make a change in the future.

As far as Carry, most of the time a 380, sometimes in winter the CM. If I am going on a trip and or some place I feel I need more security I will carry the Nano. I now own two Nano's and bought a third for my son. Just a matter of time before I get the Beretta Carry. However one of my Nano's does have the Carry grip. If a Micro 9mm is going to last a long time, the Nano IMO will go the distance. And the one gun I would choose if I had to choose just one.
    All this said, I do carry the Smith 642 on many occasions, and it just seems to be made for easy carry. So easy to load and unload, no messing with magazines. Easy to Appendix carry etc. Same with the LCR9mm but that gun is a little heavier. Wish the 642 had moon clips.

Somehow, I don't think you mean't this one , but if you did, I would be in total agrement.......................................... ........https://www.thefirearmsforum.com/thr...wledge.149476/

Quote Originally Posted by boscobarbell View Post

I know this is a bit of a thread hijack, but I'll add this.

Just got back from the range. I was there to check out ammo functionality in a couple of my carry pistols...most especially my Kahr PM380, which has been ammo-picky albeit reliable within a very narrow window of 3-4 decent carry loads. Of late I just couldn't get it to feed Underwood XtP rounds reliably, so I was back at the range today to see if fiddling around with the magazines and a feed ramp polishing had helped.

Short answer...no. I was so frustrated, I took my Pico out of my waist and decided to run a few magazines through it for the sake of comparison. And the little thing surprised me all over again with just how pleasant it is to shoot. Whatever Beretta did recently to these triggers is genius...short, light, clean break. And although I am a big fan of the Kahr, the Pico also soaks up recoil far better.

The Beretta Pico is a little gem, and it's a shame it doesn't enjoy a greater audience.

Regarding that ammo testing, another surprise at the range today was that I FINALLY found a round my M&P 340 can shoot without causing the operator bodily harm. I shot about 20 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense 38 +P 110 grain ammo, and it was tolerable. Follow-up shots were were actually decent, too, which is a first.

I'm still not thrilled that I'm shooting 5 rounds of 38 out of a .357 revolver, but at least it isn't just a pretty paperweight now.

p.s. I've got a bead on a couple of .32 mag revolvers tonight, so this may be moot. I would gladly make the change to 6 rounds of .32 mag vs 5 rounds of .38 +P, especially with some of the hotter SD loads now available for the former. In case you can't tell, I REALLY REALLY want to find a revolver that I am comfortable to EDC.

Well since you found that the Hornady 38 +p rounds shoot well out of your Smith 340 without causing operator problems then I would go with that and not feel like you need anything more....The 340 is a great, very light weight little revolver that will serve you quite well....I have a Ruger LCR .327 mag and it's a nice pistol and I like that you can shoot anything .32 caliber through it, even 32 acp but if you think shooting .327 Federal mags through it will be much different than your 340 with magnums or hot .38's it's very much the same, yes you get 6 rounds but with .327 mags it's pretty much unshootable with the muzzle blast and noise it's very unpleasant....H&R .32 mags are much better but the ammo is very expensive and basically you get mild .38 special ballistics so why not keep the 340 and spend the money on more controllable +p .38 special ammo......Trust me, 5 well placed shots of good +p .38 ammo will be more than enough......Now that said, the Beretta Pico is a gem of a little pistol, mine has never had a failure of any kind with any ammo tried....I love my Kahrs but for a .380 the Pico is awesome....

Quote Originally Posted by getsome View Post
    Well since you found that the Hornady 38 +p rounds shoot well out of your Smith 340 without causing operator problems then I would go with that and not feel like you need anything more....The 340 is a great, very light weight little revolver that will serve you quite well....I have a Ruger LCR .327 mag and it's a nice pistol and I like that you can shoot anything .32 caliber through it, even 32 acp but if you think shooting .327 Federal mags through it will be much different than your 340 with magnums or hot .38's it's very much the same, yes you get 6 rounds but with .327 mags it's pretty much unshootable with the muzzle blast and noise it's very unpleasant....H&R .32 mags are much better but the ammo is very expensive and basically you get mild .38 special ballistics so why not keep the 340 and spend the money on more controllable +p .38 special ammo......Trust me, 5 well placed shots of good +p .38 ammo will be more than enough......Now that said, the Beretta Pico is a gem of a little pistol, mine has never had a failure of any kind with any ammo tried....I love my Kahrs but for a .380 the Pico is awesome....
    One option you guys are missing is to go to an older Colt Cobra, Detective, or Agent. You get six shots over 5 with a longer ejector rod compared to the S&W.

Some Colts have the added-on hammer shroud, which I would want on a carry revolver. I very nearly bought one of the alloy-framed Colts for a carry piece but no CTC grips made for them.

That may not be that big of a deal though as I removed the CTC laserguard from my CW 45 and don't feel handicapped without it.

6 shots, .38 Special.....think about it.