Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 105

Thread: Revolver guys: finally got my Andrews Leather "Slim Loader" pouch.

  1. #91
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boscobarbell View Post
    So, my quest for the perfect EDC revolver has advanced bit.

    I bought a Taurus 856 Ultra Light (all black, shrouded hammer) on Gunbroker. So I've got a .38+P now that carries 6 vs. 5 rounds.

    But because I had an itch that I just couldn't scratch, I arranged a trade with Bud's Guns....my J-frame .357 plus a bit of cash for a NIB Kimber K6s. And, as I was waiting for it to arrive, I got lucky and scored a set of night sights for the Kimber (they are almost always sold out).

    I took delivery of both today. It was like Christmas in June!

    First impressions: the Taurus is very nice in the hand...LOVE the rubber grips. The DAO trigger is a bit heavy, but not awful and certainly manageable (I bought a set of trigger springs that promise to cut that pull weight, but my gunsmith was so backed up with work that I had to take it home before he could install it. Gonna bring it back when I return the Kimber for the night sight install.) No idea how durable the Taurus finish will be, but it sure looks nice out of the box...a bit more matte than the M&P 340 I just traded. And this thing is very light. On paper it is heavier than my 642 or 340, but it sure doesn't feel like it. Mechanically, everything feels tight and precise.

    As to the Kimber...I think I'm in love. It's a real work of art, with beautiful lines, impeccable machining, and amazingly melting (seems like there isn't a single sharp edge). Great 3-dot sights...unusual on a little revolver like this. And that trigger! Butter-smooth, no stacking, and it just begs to be staged for precision work. It is noticeably heavier than the Taurus, but I carried it around the house in my J-frame AIWB holster (a bit snug, but pretty close to perfect) and it rides quite well.

    The game plan is to get both out for a range session soon. I've got several different brands of both .38 and .357 to try out in them. My goal is to see if shooting .357 out of the Kimber is more feasible than it was for the 340. If so, the Kimber will probably be my EDC choice moving forward. If it still seem overly painful or if followup shots are still unmanageable, then my hope is that the Taurus (not as pretty, but perfectly acceptable and apparently well-made) will fill that role with an acceptable SD load.

    Wish me luck.....
    New tools are always nice aren't they???????????????? I don't think you can get much better than the Kimber for revolver carry. Don't get me wrong. I love my SP101 but that Kimber is something. The .357 is just a handful and I think that you'll find that the platform doesn't really matter, it's just a powerful load. I had a S&W 19 with a 4" barrel, and the load was a beast out of that. When I do shoot .357, I practice starting at the groin and proceeding to pull till empty. I think you'll find that you can keep all of your shots in/on the torso area. With that load, very effective. I also think you can be confident in using a.38 +P ammo for carry.

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by getsome View Post
    Congrats bosco on the new wheel guns, I will admit that I am very jealous about your new Kimber, what a beautiful revolver to have and enjoy....I'm starting to rethink this whole back and forth vs round and round thing and me think simple might be the way to go with a carry pistol and end the worry about a miss feed or failure to eject and go with a bang every time to save my ace......I still love my PM9 but with old age, a bum hand and a general lack of dexterity I'm thinking a wheel gun might be in my near carry future....Good luck with your new revolvers and let us know how they do at the range.....
    Thanks. The simplicity and inherent reliability of the revolver keeps drawing me back to them.

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    488

    Default

    Okay, I finally got a chance to try out my new toys. Brought the Kimber and Taurus to the range with a boatload of different ammo choices in .357 and 38...and, on a lark, decided to bring along my last remaining J-frame, the 642 that I carried for 10 years as a BUG/light-duty gun.*.


    First up, the Kimber. What an amazing gun. It is definitely stout enough to tame every .357 round I put through it (although the Con Bon was pretty stout). The trigger was amazing for follow-up shots, and those big 3-dot sights are so easy to bring on target. Unlike my J-frame .357, I didn't dread putting a lot of rounds downrange, and my hand wasn't crying on the way home. On a lark, I finished my range session by shoot a couple of cylinders of ammo at steel plates from 25 yards. The Kimber is no sniper's tool, but it is perfectly competent at extended distances...certainly those at the every farthest edges of what you may need for 99.999% of SD work. Also, I should add that while I'm not I'm usually not a fan of rubber grips, given how good this pistol feels in the hand, I'd be reticent to change anything about it. The only downside of the entire experience was how I was kicking myself for not buying one of these sooner.

    Next up, the Taurus. Compared to the Kimber, this little revolver certainly suffered by comparison. It certainly isn't as pretty, and the controls all feel just a bit rougher. It was flawless in execution, however, and certainly much better at handling hot .38 +P loads than comparable Smith & Wessons. All of the SD ammos functioned well, and only the Buffalo Bore 158 gr soft lead semi-wadcutter ammo was really too hot to shoot comfortable (although my Kimber ate it up). The only difficulty I really experienced was that the brass seemed reluctant to eject from the cylinder, and the trigger really seemed to stiffen up the more I shot it. Otherwise, while not a beauty queen, the Taurus was entirely acceptable as a SD pistol. It may not be the pistol you lust for, but it is an affordable and viable EdC option.

    A couple of post scripts:

    p.s. I have since cleaned up the Kimber and carried it around town for a few errands. To my surprise, in jeans and a bison EDC belt with the revolver in a suede AIWB holster, I completely forgot that the revolver was even on my waist. No printing, and no discomfort (even when driving, which is the toughest test for EDC set-ups. Damn, K6s, where have you been all my life?!

    p.p.s. I cleaned the Taurus, too, and couldn't believe how much gunk I was getting on my swabs and patches. I realized that the revolver had apparently been treated at the factory with some kind of coating/grease. I spent a good amount of time cleaning it up with Ballistol and spraying some Eezox into the interior, and when I was done it seemed like a different pistol...everything felt smoother and required less effort. No, it still isn't the Kimber, but it's pretty darn good for a revolver that holds 6 rounds and costs less than $300. Should I ever find my Kimber to be just too heavy to carry, the Taurus will fill that role nicely.

    p.p.p.s. After writing this, it occurred to me that I never mentioned reliability. And isn't that the really beauty of revolvers? No magazine spring issues or feed ramp hangups or ammo compatibility or recoil spring fatigue?? Both revolvers fired every round I fed them, without complaint or issue. And let me tell you, after a 3+ year quest to find a decent, smaller EDC pistol, that is not insignificant. I remember driving back from the range after too many sessions filled with frustration because my latest micro pistol was refusing to operate reliably. Heck, I still have few that remain ammo-picky. No such thing with properly-functioning revolver.


    *It wasn't until I was on my ride home that I realized that I never even shot the S&W. It pains me to say it, but I think my new purchases have made it irrelevant, except as a memento from my career.

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Wet & Wild Pacific NW
    Posts
    30,735

    Default

    OK, I read back but don't see the stats on the Kimber, 2" or 3". Did you get one with a hammer or shrouded?

    Considering talking the wife into one but after reading your report I might talk her into one for myself. They sure look nice and the sights have to be great. Not seen one in person yet.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

    RIP Muggsy & TMan

    "If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boscobarbell View Post
    Okay, I finally got a chance to try out my new toys. Brought the Kimber and Taurus to the range with a boatload of different ammo choices in .357 and 38...and, on a lark, decided to bring along my last remaining J-frame, the 642 that I carried for 10 years as a BUG/light-duty gun.*.


    First up, the Kimber. What an amazing gun. It is definitely stout enough to tame every .357 round I put through it (although the Con Bon was pretty stout). The trigger was amazing for follow-up shots, and those big 3-dot sights are so easy to bring on target. Unlike my J-frame .357, I didn't dread putting a lot of rounds downrange, and my hand wasn't crying on the way home. On a lark, I finished my range session by shoot a couple of cylinders of ammo at steel plates from 25 yards. The Kimber is no sniper's tool, but it is perfectly competent at extended distances...certainly those at the every farthest edges of what you may need for 99.999% of SD work. Also, I should add that while I'm not I'm usually not a fan of rubber grips, given how good this pistol feels in the hand, I'd be reticent to change anything about it. The only downside of the entire experience was how I was kicking myself for not buying one of these sooner.

    Next up, the Taurus. Compared to the Kimber, this little revolver certainly suffered by comparison. It certainly isn't as pretty, and the controls all feel just a bit rougher. It was flawless in execution, however, and certainly much better at handling hot .38 +P loads than comparable Smith & Wessons. All of the SD ammos functioned well, and only the Buffalo Bore 158 gr soft lead semi-wadcutter ammo was really too hot to shoot comfortable (although my Kimber ate it up). The only difficulty I really experienced was that the brass seemed reluctant to eject from the cylinder, and the trigger really seemed to stiffen up the more I shot it. Otherwise, while not a beauty queen, the Taurus was entirely acceptable as a SD pistol. It may not be the pistol you lust for, but it is an affordable and viable EdC option.

    A couple of post scripts:

    p.s. I have since cleaned up the Kimber and carried it around town for a few errands. To my surprise, in jeans and a bison EDC belt with the revolver in a suede AIWB holster, I completely forgot that the revolver was even on my waist. No printing, and no discomfort (even when driving, which is the toughest test for EDC set-ups. Damn, K6s, where have you been all my life?!

    p.p.s. I cleaned the Taurus, too, and couldn't believe how much gunk I was getting on my swabs and patches. I realized that the revolver had apparently been treated at the factory with some kind of coating/grease. I spent a good amount of time cleaning it up with Ballistol and spraying some Eezox into the interior, and when I was done it seemed like a different pistol...everything felt smoother and required less effort. No, it still isn't the Kimber, but it's pretty darn good for a revolver that holds 6 rounds and costs less than $300. Should I ever find my Kimber to be just too heavy to carry, the Taurus will fill that role nicely.

    p.p.p.s. After writing this, it occurred to me that I never mentioned reliability. And isn't that the really beauty of revolvers? No magazine spring issues or feed ramp hangups or ammo compatibility or recoil spring fatigue?? Both revolvers fired every round I fed them, without complaint or issue. And let me tell you, after a 3+ year quest to find a decent, smaller EDC pistol, that is not insignificant. I remember driving back from the range after too many sessions filled with frustration because my latest micro pistol was refusing to operate reliably. Heck, I still have few that remain ammo-picky. No such thing with properly-functioning revolver.


    *It wasn't until I was on my ride home that I realized that I never even shot the S&W. It pains me to say it, but I think my new purchases have made it irrelevant, except as a memento from my career.

    Wow Bosco, I did not know you bought a Kimber. I have drooled over them for a few years now. Great report. Congrats!!!!!!! How about a pic?

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    OK, I read back but don't see the stats on the Kimber, 2" or 3". Did you get one with a hammer or shrouded?

    Considering talking the wife into one but after reading your report I might talk her into one for myself. They sure look nice and the sights have to be great. Not seen one in person yet.
    Yeah, my bad. I got the Kimber in 2" with the shrouded hammer.

    I'll try to get some photos loaded later today.

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Free Zone
    Posts
    5,482

    Cool Colt

    Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Thought about it around 1975. First store bought gun I ever purchased, actually second, it replaced the Agent that got stolen.




    Shot it better than some of my longer barreled guns of the time. One of my never part with guns.
    LOVE the Colt snubbie

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    890

    Default

    A neighbor called me this past week, apparently he saw a Colt Cobra and wanted to know about how much that would cost. I quoted him around $1K, as that is what they go for on Gunbroker.

    If I found a good deal on a Cobra or Agent with the hammer shroud, I'd get it for carry. Be nice to have 6 shots over 5.

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King Rat View Post
    Wow Bosco, I did not know you bought a Kimber. I have drooled over them for a few years now. Great report. Congrats!!!!!!! How about a pic?
    Here's a couple. My Kimber along with my Taurus and 642.

    https://imgur.com/a/hwRnjis

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boscobarbell View Post
    Here's a couple. My Kimber along with my Taurus and 642.

    https://imgur.com/a/hwRnjis
    Nice! I see when you go to the range you try out all the defense ammo.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   Xssights