Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well that sucks! Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P stovepipes in P9 Covert.

Default Well that sucks! Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P stovepipes in P9 Covert.

Back when I feared Clinton would win the 2016 election, I bought up 1000 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124 grain 9mm Parabellum +P. I never shot any of it, just socked it away in ammo cans. Well today I hit the range with the P9 Covert and C R A P the stuff causes occasional stovepipes!

These cannot be cleared with "tap, rack, assess" drills but instead require "lock, rip, work" drills. Ugh!

Also, like with Sellier & Bellot 124 grain, the bullets seem too long and a "sling shot" of the slide with the weak hand causes the top round to dive and not chamber. Both chamber fine using the slide release though.

Both tend to go slightly left but that may be my poor shooting.

For years I had excellent accuracy, point-of-aim hits, and reliability from PMC Starfire 124 grain +P but I saw a video where the round failed to expand in ballistic gel.

When my K9 comes in I'll see if this stuff does any better in it.

Bummer.

I’ve run some of the standard pressure 124 grain through my P9 without issue.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

I use to run nothing but Speer Gold Dot, never had issues, it was mostly 45 which of course doesn't apply here but a lot of 9mm as well.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

My CW 45 does very well with Speer Gold Dot 230 grain and it sling shots the reload every time.

I'm thinking it's bullet length causing the issues with the P9 Covert so I want to try a 115 grain bullet next. I may order some Critical Defense and see how that works and where it hits.

The Kahr E9 I had 20 years ago seemed to hate standard pressure (could have been that break in period though) but it worked perfectly with Corbon 124 grain +P.

Quote Originally Posted by I_Like_Turtles View Post
    Back when I feared Clinton would win the 2016 election, I bought up 1000 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124 grain 9mm Parabellum +P. I never shot any of it, just socked it away in ammo cans. Well today I hit the range with the P9 Covert and C R A P the stuff causes occasional stovepipes!
    Obviously, you've exceeded the shelf life of this ammo. Please send to me for disposal. No charge.

rx7sig

Quote Originally Posted by rx7sig View Post
    Obviously, you've exceeded the shelf life of this ammo. Please send to me for disposal. No charge.

rx7sig
    Is that it? Gosh man, thanks a ton! That's very nice of you.

Just ordered some 9mm Critical Defense 115 grain standard pressure. I will give that a test in the P9, coming K9, and Browning Hi Power.

I don't know if this helps, but I use Lucky Gunner's ballistic tests to see influence my ammo selection (my local stores often have different selections from one month to another). Here's a link to the 9mm results out of a subcompact M&P (3.5"), but if you scroll up or down other calibers are included: https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#9mm

That's nice man, thank you.

I have gone by tn9outdoors from Youtube's gel tests. I pick a round that has done well for him, test it in my weapons for function and hitting to point-of-aim, then order 1000 rounds.

Obviously the solution to your problem is to go out and buy a new 9mm gun that will shoot the Gold Dots and find some other ammo the P9 likes....Never waste a good opportunity to purchase a new pistol....That's my motto....

Quote Originally Posted by getsome View Post
    Obviously the solution to your problem is to go out and buy a new 9mm gun that will shoot the Gold Dots and find some other ammo the P9 likes....Never waste a good opportunity to purchase a new pistol....That's my motto....
    Ding ding ding! Winner!

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.