CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Xssights
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: That was dangerous......road biking.

Dangerous is biking or running in bear and cougar country... and solo hiking... WITHOUT PROTECTION, or a PLAN to deal with large predators.

The bear coming up and sitting within about 10 feet of the photographer... crazy. That looked like an old bear that wasn't hungry or looking for a fight.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Quote Originally Posted by wyntrout View Post
    Dangerous is biking or running in bear and cougar country... and solo hiking... WITHOUT PROTECTION, or a PLAN to deal with large predators.
    I was thinking the same, but doing that kind of stuff around Orlando is close to none existent. I’ve hiked some of the areas above Denver once, but only took a single stack 9mm. Was pretty scared the whole time of the possibilities. I couldn’t see doing any serious hiking or mountain biking in big cat/bear country with a concealed big bore though. So I’m relegated to the concrete jungle. -Sincerely, soft city guy

One big problem with Florida is no open carry. Here, in WV, open carry is getting more and more commonplace.

My biggest worry with hiking in the woods is Lyme Disease from ticks.

"Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

Quote Originally Posted by I_Like_Turtles View Post
    One big problem with Florida is no open carry. Here, in WV, open carry is getting more and more commonplace.

My biggest worry with hiking in the woods is Lyme Disease from ticks.
    That's what I worry about most...………………..friend and I went hiking on Friday. He said that he had already been picking ticks off 2 weeks ago. You really have to watch your pets up here. I hate using all of those chemicals on our dog, but I guess the alternative is worse. You can see how those repellents affect a dog's nervous system. We have just as many ticks in the woods by the city as we do up nort. Up nort I also have to keep alert for bears, and coyotes. We have lots of coyotes in our area and they have been known to take people's dogs on occasion. Coyotes are pretty much shoot on sight up nort…………...everybody hates them. I don't hate them, but I will protect my dog and or family. Otherwise, it was 60 degrees, partly sunny and some fresh air did me good. When I left the house it was 43 degrees. When I got to state hiking land by a friends place, 45 minutes later, it was 60. Being by the lake has advantages and disadvantages when it comes to weather.

I am the same with coyotes. Live and let live.

It's a gorgeous day here in WV but I am about to crawl under my dad's house to try and solder on some valves. WISH ME LUCK.

Tomorrow though, plan to haul the bike over to the ski condo for riding there.

I fear the TICK much more than the Virus. I hunt and scout all the time. Last year, even though I was soaked in Tick Repellent, I came home and the next day had a tick embedded in my neck. I went immediately to the ER. They had to cut it out with a scalpel. And because of the fear we have of Lyme Disease they gave me all the shots. Doctor told me, it was smart to come in right away. The window to stop the disease is about 24hrs. And this was in Nov. I have a friend that is now confined to a wheel chair and can barely talk from this disease.

You guys are so on point about the ticks. Took my son on a short hike when he was 7. At one point we stopped to rest and hydrate. Before we started to move again, I decided to have us each check each other for ticks. 3 between the two of us. Once we got back to the car, did another check, and we each had 1. Next day, found another one lodged in my sock. How in the heck? The poor deer, squirrels, etc out there must all be lyme diseased up! Chris Christophersen’s story is amazing! I wonder how many else suffered through history not knowing as he did.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsThaWord View Post
    I was thinking the same, but doing that kind of stuff around Orlando is close to none existent. I’ve hiked some of the areas above Denver once, but only took a single stack 9mm. Was pretty scared the whole time of the possibilities. I couldn’t see doing any serious hiking or mountain biking in big cat/bear country with a concealed big bore though. So I’m relegated to the concrete jungle. -Sincerely, soft city guy
    I hike above Denver every weekend all year round. The open space trail I use is 15 minutes from my house. About 1200ft elevation gain. I've seen 3 mountain lions, seen tracks more times than I remember when hiking in the snow, most recently last weekend. I've smelled them a couple of times also. I think it was a tom that was upset, smelled like a litter box. I must have inadvertently gotten too close to his kill, even though I always hike on an existing trail.

I hike really early in the morning. So early it's still dark. Used to take the dog (German Shepard) but she has arthritis so bad now she can't handle the distance and the uphill. I have always carried when I hike. Usually my CW40 but I've also taken one of my 1911s on occasion.

There's been several stories lately about hikers and trail runners getting attacked by cats. So it's no joke either. Just gotta be aware.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken L View Post
    I hike above Denver every weekend all year round. The open space trail I use is 15 minutes from my house. About 1200ft elevation gain. I've seen 3 mountain lions, seen tracks more times than I remember when hiking in the snow, most recently last weekend. I've smelled them a couple of times also. I think it was a tom that was upset, smelled like a litter box. I must have inadvertently gotten too close to his kill, even though I always hike on an existing trail.

I hike really early in the morning. So early it's still dark. Used to take the dog (German Shepard) but she has arthritis so bad now she can't handle the distance and the uphill. I have always carried when I hike. Usually my CW40 but I've also taken one of my 1911s on occasion.

There's been several stories lately about hikers and trail runners getting attacked by cats. So it's no joke either. Just gotta be aware.
    These really helped my Shepard's arthritis pain: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>