Magnum Research new   Xssights   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: Edge "melting." Who would be good to smooth my K9 edges?

Default Edge "melting." Who would be good to smooth my K9 edges?

My vintage K9 has some sharp edges on the triggerguard, the slide release, and the tang (rear of frame where web of hand goes). So, can you guys point me in the direction of a company that can "melt' those edges and then do a custom powder coat?

Would it be better to just replace the slide release with a newer one from Kahr?

Thank you!

I would have suggested Robar but they got out of the custom gun business, never could figure or hear why, they were real good at a lot of stuff. I'm sure there are lots of places that could do it. Can't name any off the top of my head at the moment.
    The slide stop is easy and you could do it yourself with a file sand paper and some cold blue. A pro finish would be more long lasting perhaps but the cold blue would work and easy to touch up.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Would a replacement slide stop just "drop into" my vintage (1995) weapon?

Anyone else know of a good custom gunsmith for this job?

This is not a who but a who you may not want to use. There have been less than satisfied customers of the work done by cylinder and slide. Can’t remember what it was but I think it had to do with a slide melt.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

I'm sure there are less than satisfied customers just about every place. Some folks can't seem to be satisfied regardless, this is not to say that maybe they goofed a time or two, it happens.
    I'm trying to remember the name of Jeepsters shop that paints all his guns green? Ahlmans?
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Any competent gunsmith should be able to radius sharp edges on firearm. It's also not too difficult for Bubba to accomplish at the eatin' table.

It's my perception that powder coating is not a finish offered by many gunsmiths/firearms folks that refinish firearms.
    I think you will find that Cerakote, Duracoat, Gunkote, Moly-resin, and the like are the preferred aerosol finishes used by those folks. These can be applied to a wide variety of materials and are also doable by Bubba/ DIY types.

Carbon steel:
    As Bawanna mentions, cold blue is certainly an option, but as he also mentions, it does not wear well in areas that see a lot of handling. Then again, as he mentions, it's easy to touch up.
    Hot bluing/black oxide is done by many smiths/refinishers. It's what you see on many factory guns. I'm going to say while possible, it's not DIY friendly.
    Rust bluing is durable. Bubba can do it...especially the accelerated method that uses special chemicals (like Mark Lee Express Blue) and heat (vice a rust cabinet).
    Plum Brown is similar in procedure to rust bluing but gives a ...well, plum brown finish
    Parkerizing (magnesium sulfate for medium gray/black, zinc phosphate for light gray/medium gray) is very DIY friendly.

Stainless steel;
    The above mentioned aerosol finishes.
    It can be hot blued, but i think that best left to professionals with the correct bluing salts.
    Caswell offers a blackening solution for stainless steel, but I've only found it satisfactory in a limited number of touch up roles (it does blend well with SIG's nitron finish).

Brass:
    The aerosols again. Brass Black has traits similar to cold blue. I say polish it.

Aluminum:
    Again, the aerosol finishes for DIY.
    Birch Wood Casey's Aluminum Black has traits similar to cold blue.
    Anodizing is an option and some DIY folks are good at it. I'm going to say it is, like other plating methods, best left to pros.

Plating, electrode depositing, etc. are not quite in my wheel house, but I do use Caswell plug'n'plate on occasion (mostly small parts).

I would like to try Caswell's Electroless Nickle kit.
    I would like to mess with the chemicals that can produce a finish similar in appearance to color case hardening.
    I'm currently playing with nano ceramic products for paint finishes to see if they will increase the durability of cold blue/aluminum black.
    There are also other finishes out there that I've no first hand knowledge of...or any knowledge of.

All this to say, you might consider doing it yourself.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

I want to know what Greg knows when I grow up. Good info there.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Yeah me too, but there's not enough time, I'm nearly growed up.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

You two are too funny
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by yqtszhj View Post
    I want to know what Greg knows when I grow up. Good info there.
    I’ve said the same. But, until then, I just ask and he is polite enough to share his knowledge!