Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has the pandemic affected your weapon choice?

Default Has the pandemic affected your weapon choice?

So have any of you thought about changing over to a weapon that's easier to disinfect at the end of the day?

I am taking all this stuff pretty seriously, making the most of all the available info.

My .38 is nearly impossible to disinfect what with the CTC laser grips and the Desantis pocket holster having such an irregular surface.

My CW 45 is easier to wipe down but those grips are not. So......I was thinking my new-to-me K9 would be easier to Clorox wipe-down.

I'd still have to test fire it though.

The Mitch Rosen Express Line holster is easy to wipe down.....and bleach wipes do not seem to hurt the leather.

Anyone else put any thought into this?

It has affected my choice of carry weapon but not because of any need to disinfect it at the end of the day. If you're carrying a weapon concealed and not pulling out, waving it around, rubbing on people and allowing them to handle it, and expectorate onto it, the gun should not need disinfecting.
    My altered choice is because this crisis has moved the clock hands just a bit closer to "midnight" as it were. In the short terms things are "ok" but if this goes on to the point where food supplies are interrupted, or electricity, water, even transportation, it's only a matter of time before the thugs start fanning out into the neighborhoods looking for easy pickings. I've already counseled my friends to not open the door to anyone they don't know - even a child, and to be very cautious before opening the door to go outside and get into the car, or check the mail. Thugs can and will position themselves so they catch the unwary out in the open and approach with some seemingly harmless story in order to get in close. Don't ride the tail of the car ahead, stop well back at lights and such and be ready to swing out and escape. What may seem like a harmless bum could easily become an armed robber. So with all that in mind my current "carry" choices begin inside the home where I have several rifles already locked and loaded in strategic locations with "some" spare mags also loaded. I place my FNH Five-seveN in my car with six spare magazines when heading out - 140 rounds. I carry my other Five-seveN inside my belt with two spare mags - 60 rounds. I still carry the small stuff like my P380 in a front pocket just because. If I'm traveling to work I will pop an AR in the trunk with a dozen spare mags - 390 rounds.
    Since I'm not going to leave my car - or go very far when I am out, I keep my custom-fabricated, laminated Lexan "personal ballistic shield" beside me in easy reach for defense against a sudden gun rush.
    And last but not least just in case I keep a bag in the trunk with a few survival odds and ends - dressings, disinfectant, staple pack, various clamps and forceps, and a couple of large combat knives, and a Cold Steel War Hammer.
    Since I drive an electric car I never have to stop for gas, but for those who must I advise them to only gas-up when they can take another person to either act as "overwatch" or do the gassing up. The bad guys see this behavior and pass because it signals this won't be "easy pickings" but there is always the chance
    We never "all" leave the house and when I'm at work my wife knows how to handle the "ready weapons" as do my two sons.

No changes for me. I have carried a spare mag once or twice but since there have been no confirmed zombie sightings I've stopped doing that.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Istill just pocket carry my CW380.

I just buff up the revolver with some Renaissance wax...……………………….

Everything you touch is potentially contaminated. Now, I doubt there is anyone infected at my ski condo, but since I have to touch the outside door handle to lock up when I exit, I expect my hand is infected. Since I have to reach into my pocket for the truck keys, that means the pepper spray may be infected (clipped into left side front pocket).

Sometimes my hands brush up against my OWB holster/top of slide. See what I mean?

When I come in, I put everything I have: belt, knife, firearm & holster, wallet, spare mag/speed loader and pouch, flashlight and pouch, pepper spray, keys, phone, glasses into a box by the door. Later I will wash the items that can survive being washed. Those that cannot are wiped down with a bleach wipe.

My father is 78 and I am no longer "young." I take no chances with this thing.

I wash hands. If I have been around just one person outside the house, clothes go into washer. I shower.

I am not sure the firearm really can be disinfected. My K9 has those rubber grips....just can't get good penetration/coverage with bleach on 1/3 a wipe. (I have been cutting up and rationing the wipes for weeks now).

The car handles, keys, anything I touched inside get wiped down too unless the car sits 3 days or more untouched.

Wow....it seems people problems are more of a concern there than the virus. My area of WV is pretty rural, people are still pretty friendly and their normal helpful shelves. That might change but it'll change where you are long before it changes where I am. I don't begrudge your armaments though....I'm libertarian and you are a better judge for your area than I am.

My carry gun is the same but,
    I have found by covering my face with one of my wife's thongs, people move back far beyond the recommended 6' distance. In fact, many times it will clear an entire aisle.Thinking of taking this on Shark Tank.
    "Never pet a burning dog"

Quote Originally Posted by 340pd View Post
    I have found by covering my face with one of my wife's thongs, people move back far beyond the recommended 6' distance. In fact, many times it will clear an entire aisle.Thinking of taking this on Shark Tank.
    Actually taking that to shark tank is a great idea. But then again patents etc take a while. I am surprised some Tee shirt and printing companies are not making mask as we speak. It will be interesting to see if someone pics up on this. Kids mask, adult mask, mask with slogans, and on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by 340pd View Post
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

I don’t worry about disinfecting my gun as I appendix carry and figure as long as I know where my crotch has been lately I’m safe (and not just my firearm safe.) I do wash the hands right after returning from anywhere before handling the firearm though.

Daughter works in an essential profession and lives with us so only so much can done there and it would just stress me to be paranoid about it. Can only take what precautions we can.

My carry gun hasn’t changed as I had stepped up to 16 rounds anytime I leave the house so I’m good to make a get away from trouble I figure.

But here is the real consideration... since they have started letting people out of jail and 10,000,000 have applied for unemployment in the last 2 weeks and how many weeks will it be before people run out of money, I have stepped up the HD plan significantly. All I’ll say is for those who know Barth’s line of thought he would be proud. More concerned about those of low moral character than the virus at the moment. I live in a nice place but I’m near the County Jail and several prisons are in my county. I Don’t mind sharing some if someone asked for something but it wouldn’t be good if someone tried to break in and take ALL my stuff. I got a family to feed too. I hope it never comes to that but we’re in different times now.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/