Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thompson 1927-A1 fires bursts

Default Thompson 1927-A1 fires bursts

I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem I'm having with my Tommy gun. I am the original owner of this gun for several years but I never fired it till recently. After 7 rounds it does a three shot burst without holding the trigger. I'm reluctant to take the gun to the range because it sounds like a full auto. It does this consistently. I'm wondering if there are others that have experienced this problem and what they done to fix it. Thanks

I've never had the issue myself and first I've ever heard of it. Has to be something in the sear I'm thinking. If it is a 3 shot burst it is full auto. So you fire a round, let go of the trigger and get a 3 shot burst consistently???

Something very strange here. You using stick mags or the drum although I don't see how that could make a difference.

Your correct to keep that thing at home till we sort it out. A call to Kahr is definitely in order.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I've never had the issue myself and first I've ever heard of it. Has to be something in the sear I'm thinking. If it is a 3 shot burst it is full auto. So you fire a round, let go of the trigger and get a 3 shot burst consistently???

Something very strange here. You using stick mags or the drum although I don't see how that could make a difference.

Your correct to keep that thing at home till we sort it out. A call to Kahr is definitely in order.
    Yes without a finger on the trigger I get a 3 shot burst. I called Kahr and they told me to send the gun to them to look at but the warranty is over. I'm hoping it is something I can fix myself. thanks

Did they tell you the warranty was over? Often times if it's a real issue they don't really care about the warranty.
    I'm not expert on the Tommy, we had one here but he hasn't checked in for quite a spell.
    Hoping someone will come along that is more helpful.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Have you given it a good cleaning? Checked to see if the firing pin moves freely (no sticking) in the bolt?
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

The tech I talked to wasn't much help. He said the warranty was over. He didn't care if I had not fired the gun for several years after purchasing and said I would have to send it to them and pay $65 an hour plus shipping back to me. I told him this gun has been defective since the day I owned it and they sent out a firearm that is illegal. Any way here I am. I took the gun apart and did a thorough cleaning and went to the range and it still burst fires after seven rounds. I also was questioning the sear but everything in the trigger group looks good. The firing pin however had a lot of filling done on it where the sear engages it. I'm suspecting this could be the problem. I'm trying to insert a photo but it's not working for me. [IMG]IMG_3006.jpg[/IMG]

You have to have 30 post to insert a photo direct, you can insert a photo by one of the picture places like postimage etc.

As usual Greg hit on a great theory, if that firing pin is hanging up due to dirt or the filing roughness you mention you could be onto something.

Still perplexed why always after 7 rounds though, should be sporadic and random.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Yeah I know it is weird. It even has some of my competition shooting friends that are pretty good gunsmiths puzzled as well. I ordered a new firing pin. I wish I could show the picture of the one out of the gun. They might have taken too much off. Some of my cowboy action shooting friends shoot zoot suit at some of our matches and that's how I found this problem when I shot with them. Hopefully a new firing pin is all that is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    Have you given it a good cleaning? Checked to see if the firing pin moves freely (no sticking) in the bolt?
    Exactly my first thought. I was just reading about the SKS (I think that was the gun) and how this was a common thing with them, more so shooting “dirty” Russian ammo. That firing pin gets stuck in the out, or in the striking position and as that next round is chambered the bolt slams the firing pin into the primer, then repeat, repeat, repeat. Hold tight!

Wanted to give you all an update. I received a new firing pin and filed it to where the bolt action moved freely. Went to the range and no more burst (slam) fires. Runs like a champ. I can now take the gun to the range and not working about shooting an illegal fire arm. Thanks all.