Tommy Gun   Xssights   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Browning Hi Power fans?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    We’re gonna need pictures of Pimp Daddy.
    https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=207717

My photo skills suck but if you go to the above link and scroll down 3 that is like how mine originally came. I installed the fixed sights from the Browning Practical and added thin black G10 grips from Elite Warrior Armament (very close to Spegel Delrin grips). It was my first Hi power and was a Christmas gift from my boss, we had just started and had went through a couple of lean years and finally made a few bucks. That was back in the mid ninety's and it still looks like new. The hard chrome finish is very durable.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnett View Post
    https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=207717

My photo skills suck but if you go to the above link and scroll down 3 that is like how mine originally came. I installed the fixed sights from the Browning Practical and added thin black G10 grips from Elite Warrior Armament (very close to Spegel Delrin grips). It was my first Hi power and was a Christmas gift from my boss, we had just started and had went through a couple of lean years and finally made a few bucks. That was back in the mid ninety's and it still looks like new. The hard chrome finish is very durable.
    I like your old boss! That is a gorgeous looking firearm! My first HP was also my first Gunbroker buy. Mine looks like yours, but with less gold paint left on the trigger and with the Browning type adjustable sights. That particular model was called the "Sport Model" I believe. I used mine in an IDPA match and did well, better than this uniformed officer that came and competed. He liked my HP so much he stated he would ditch his Sig and start carrying an HP! He was from a very small town (one I am familiar with) so he might could carry cocked and locked on duty.

Hard chrome is a very durable finish.

Did you leave the magazine safety in yours? I have it in all but two of my HP's. The commercial HP's are fine, it's the military/police contract HP's that have a bad trigger with the mag safety still in.

My ‘87 Mark II has the mag safety removed. The difference in trigger feel isn’t really worth it to me, but I prefer the mags to drop free instead of being “retained.” My ‘73 HP is all stock, and the trigger feels great in dry fire. I’ve never fired live rounds through it, because it’s in Like New condition and I want to keep it that way since I got a screaming deal on it. I’m sure I’ll eventually shoot it, just not any time soon.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, SP101

My ‘87 Mark II has the mag safety removed. The difference in trigger feel isn’t really worth it to me, but I prefer the mags to drop free instead of being “retained.” My ‘73 HP is all stock, and the trigger feels great in dry fire. I’ve never fired live rounds through it, because it’s in Like New condition and I want to keep it that way since I got a screaming deal on it. I’m sure I’ll eventually shoot it, just not any time soon.
    I used to like drop free mags but I kept losing my Parabellum mags in the trenches fighting for the Kaiser. Retention is important!

I read that is why the P38 had a heel retention clip....pulling a mag out makes it more likely the user will save the mag before going for a reload.

I will probably remove the mag safety on my future BHP build. Even with the "mouse trap" springed mags, they don't eject with slide open.

Quote Originally Posted by I_Like_Turtles View Post
    I like your old boss! That is a gorgeous looking firearm! My first HP was also my first Gunbroker buy. Mine looks like yours, but with less gold paint left on the trigger and with the Browning type adjustable sights. That particular model was called the "Sport Model" I believe. I used mine in an IDPA match and did well, better than this uniformed officer that came and competed. He liked my HP so much he stated he would ditch his Sig and start carrying an HP! He was from a very small town (one I am familiar with) so he might could carry cocked and locked on duty.

Hard chrome is a very durable finish.

Did you leave the magazine safety in yours? I have it in all but two of my HP's. The commercial HP's are fine, it's the military/police contract HP's that have a bad trigger with the mag safety still in.

He's still my boss. We were pretty young back then, now not so much! The mag safety is still in. It doesn't bother me and I shoot it well. I removed the mag safety from one of my others and while it lightened and smoothed the trigger pull I wasn't thrilled with the lighter reset. They make a trigger spring that gives a more authoritative reset, I may have to see about getting one. I encourage anyone who is a Hi Power fan to visit https://bhspringsolutions.com. They have tons of parts and upgrades for the Hi Power, they are real fans of the gun. I'm still irritated that FN quit producing the Hi Power. Yea I get that it's expensive and not plastic fantastic but neither is the 1911 and those guns sell at a healthy clip. They should have had some pride and made an updated MK4 version. Little more consistent trigger (some are pretty good out of the box, some suck), Novak cut sights and slim G10 grips. Dump the high polish blue (saves some cost there) and finish it in a bead blasted matte finish and matte hard chrome. Make it a combat gun instead of the sportsman's companion that the Browning website seemed to push the last few years. Sorry for the rant.

Especially with Walther’s new steel framed 9mm. They could have marketed it as an IDPA type competition gun or “race gun” (whatever that is).

Quote Originally Posted by Burnett View Post
    He's still my boss. We were pretty young back then, now not so much! The mag safety is still in. It doesn't bother me and I shoot it well. I removed the mag safety from one of my others and while it lightened and smoothed the trigger pull I wasn't thrilled with the lighter reset. They make a trigger spring that gives a more authoritative reset, I may have to see about getting one. I encourage anyone who is a Hi Power fan to visit https://bhspringsolutions.com. They have tons of parts and upgrades for the Hi Power, they are real fans of the gun. I'm still irritated that FN quit producing the Hi Power. Yea I get that it's expensive and not plastic fantastic but neither is the 1911 and those guns sell at a healthy clip. They should have had some pride and made an updated MK4 version. Little more consistent trigger (some are pretty good out of the box, some suck), Novak cut sights and slim G10 grips. Dump the high polish blue (saves some cost there) and finish it in a bead blasted matte finish and matte hard chrome. Make it a combat gun instead of the sportsman's companion that the Browning website seemed to push the last few years. Sorry for the rant.
    I am of same opinion. The HP could have been updated with grip safety, better trigger, etc.

I don't have a problem with trigger reset after mag safety removed. Haven't noticed it actually.

Especially with Walther’s new steel framed 9mm. They could have marketed it as an IDPA type competition gun or “race gun” (whatever that is).
    Good point. I read somewhere that the reason they discontinued the Hi Power is because the original tooling was worn out and cost to much to replace. I'm not sure I buy that. The frames are cast and they could have the slides done from bar stock with a cnc machine. A matte finish costs less than high polish blue. The Hi Power would have been easy for them to update if they had the desire.

I heard that about Marlin lever guns, the tooling was worn out.

My ‘87’s trigger has no audible or tactile reset after removing the disconnect. Not a big deal in live fire.

I have a forged frame MKIII. Nice gun, but it became a safe queen after acquiring my first CZ75.

I'd guess that most aficionados are aware of the late Stephen A. Camp's excellent Hi Power website: https://hipowersandhandguns.com

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>