Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: Recovering .50AE brass at range

Default Recovering .50AE brass at range

What do other members on here use to catch brass, at public ranges? I've been thinking of trying to adapt a brass catcher made for AR type rifles, attaching it to the rail on top of barrel, but in my case, I've got a 2 power Bushnell scope occupying that position. Although I've got excellent iron sights (Williams Firesight rear,Dawson Precision front) I really shoot much better groups with the scope. I've been thinking that maybe just a plain plastic drop cloth might be the easiest solution, but my pistol throws brass kinda just anywhere! Give me some ideas of what you fellows are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhart View Post
    What do other members on here use to catch brass, at public ranges? I've been thinking of trying to adapt a brass catcher made for AR type rifles, attaching it to the rail on top of barrel, but in my case, I've got a 2 power Bushnell scope occupying that position. Although I've got excellent iron sights (Williams Firesight rear,Dawson Precision front) I really shoot much better groups with the scope. I've been thinking that maybe just a plain plastic drop cloth might be the easiest solution, but my pistol throws brass kinda just anywhere! Give me some ideas of what you fellows are doing.
    At indoor ranges I generally get the lane furthest to the right so the brass will eject toward the wall and stay relatively close. Outdoors is tricky, large drop cloth but maybe not plastic as the brass is rather warm right after firing. It might be a bit cumbersome but a vertical barrier like a hanging sheet, screen or net might work if it's not windy. Usually .50AE brass is pretty easy to spot amongst all the common calibers that typically litter the ground so I've not gone to any great lengths to develop a better brass recovery method.

I bought one of the Caldwell brass catchers, and it performed with mixed results. It is the one that you can put on the bench beside you, or mount it to a camera tripod. I tried the tripod angle, and the brass was all over the place, with just a few caught in the actual net. I finally, in desperation, put it about an inch from my right shoulder, and fired 5 shots. To my surprise, all five landed in the net! Thinking I had this problem whipped, I loaded up 5 more, and not one was caught in the net. It cost me 39.95 plus shipping to find this out. I'm going back to the big, blue tarp.

If you are married, or have kids/nieces/nephews, grandkids, or have a friend/sibling who isn't too bright, have them stand off to the side and catch the brass in mid air to keep them clean-ish. For the kids, offer them a penny for each one they catch. For the wife, offer a romantic dinner. For the friend/sibling, offer them a beer.

Don't forget to deduct at the end of your shooting for any brass that is missing.

I'm married, but no way in hell is she gonna try to catch that brass! My kids are all grown, so no help there. I'm going back to the big blue tarp.

I've seen some where there was just a wire frame with a loop that went down the grip you just old with your hand. Kind of a little fish net affair. Probably not great as the wire would effect your grip somewhat but it did place the net right where it needed to be regardless of how eratic your gun throws the empties.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."