Xssights   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good time to sell?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Good time to sell?

Keep getting older and questioning if now is a good time to sell some of the guns that are duplicates or are likely never to be shot again just sitting in the safe taking up space.
    I checked my LGS that has an online presence and they are down to a handful of used guns. I know I don't think like most of you but at 75 years old, just how many do I really need? (making sure the grand kids and immediate family are covered of course)
    Is this the time for sharing the wealth?
    BTW it has nothing to do with money and everything to do with cleaning up after I am gone.
    "Never pet a burning dog"

What my concern is, what is any gun good for now other than hunting, or self defense. If you are a person like myself that loves to just shoot, spend time at the ranges then I feel a certain death to the shooting sports. All three of my ranges are closed and will be for months. And I think that will go on for at a minimum of another year. Maybe two years or more. And if and when they re-open, it will be a total mess for a very long time. So many thousands of new owners with New guns. Gun shooting enthusiast that have been caged up in their sport and hitting the ranges. Yes, there may be a viable reason to sell some guns now. Not to mention the Liberals like the GOV of Virgina that is destroying the 2nd amendment and have every law biding citizen completely disarmed. Sad as well as he knows as well as all of us that his "FLOCK" will always be armed and laws make no difference to them. It is about Power and he seems to be a serious threat and enemy of our State and Country. And in many ways he is winning.

Live forever and ya don't have to worry about the clean up.

I've had similar thoughts myself, I just can't seem to part with any, regretted it every time. I figure my kids will enjoy the clean up. My wife is stashing the loot and not letting me enjoy it so at least the kids will enjoy that if they don't have to spend it keeping me in a home for the insane old people.

That being said if you sell anything tell me first.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Regrettably, I did just that a few years back...………………………………….I didn't want to do it, but my wife has what she wants, and I have no family to leave any to. I suppose I could leave one to a friend. Over the years, I've really only had 2 firearms that I really regretted selling, but if any consolation, they went to good homes. I kept the firearms that were the most practical for me, and would cover most bases as far as shear firepower. I always made sure that the others went to someone of the right mindset. Someone who respected the Constitution, gave their credit to our soldiers and LE, and loved to shoot for the shear sport of it. When you do that, you don't feel nearly as bad. You give someone else the opportunity to fondle and look good. After all, isn't that what it's really all about??????

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    Regrettably, I did just that a few years back...………………………………….I didn't want to do it, but my wife has what she wants, and I have no family to leave any to. I suppose I could leave one to a friend. Over the years, I've really only had 2 firearms that I really regretted selling, but if any consolation, they went to good homes. I kept the firearms that were the most practical for me, and would cover most bases as far as shear firepower. I always made sure that the others went to someone of the right mindset. Someone who respected the Constitution, gave their credit to our soldiers and LE, and loved to shoot for the shear sport of it. When you do that, you don't feel nearly as bad. You give someone else the opportunity to fondle and look good. After all, isn't that what it's really all about??????

We here are family....
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

I’m not so old but have pondered the same thing. I think if I stick to a standard platform I’d be an expert but I can’t seem to find anything I want to let go. It has made me think through my purchases recently.

But now that I think about it I’ve been able to come up with a reason for everything I bought last year. Does that make me double minded? Probably so. Then every time I sell 1 I buy 2. Oh well, I’ll shelf that idea for now.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Every once in a while I do a “purge”. I then get new (used) one’s that have caught my eye, along with some accessories, or “extras” for the few “forever keepers” that I hold onto. Yes, now is a VERY good time to sell. You can sell quickly and get top dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsThaWord View Post
    Every once in a while I do a “purge”. I then get new (used) one’s that have caught my eye, along with some accessories, or “extras” for the few “forever keepers” that I hold onto. Yes, now is a VERY good time to sell. You can sell quickly and get top dollar.
    I could afford to sell off several but I'm kinda lazy. Now would be a good time although concerning handguns, I am very, very picky what I buy and thus, I don't want to get rid of anything. Most of my weapons are WW2 era bolt action rifles, bought during the last hay day of surplus.

Quote Originally Posted by I_Like_Turtles View Post
    I could afford to sell off several but I'm kinda lazy. Now would be a good time although concerning handguns, I am very, very picky what I buy and thus, I don't want to get rid of anything. Most of my weapons are WW2 era bolt action rifles, bought during the last hay day of surplus.
    I’m lucky enough to live in a state that (at least for now) hasn’t had gun laws too trampled by libtards, so it is rather easy to buy and sell. I know what you mean about not wanting to get rid of them. Most of mine have no historical significance, but have time and dough put into making them just so. Sometimes they are a bit hard to let go of, but I tell myself that if I miss one that bad I can always get another. Maybe I have to look for a while to find a deal, but can just about always get close to what I had.

I had an earlier model Iver Johnson Thrasher SS, the stainless finished ones, before they started chroming them. I polished the slide, put grips on it, bought a nice holster, carried it a while then sold it. Few years later bought it back from a different guy than who I sold it to, and bought it back for less than I had sold it for. I then put night sights on it, polished the frame, trigger, etc. Shot it a bit then sold it again during a “purge”. I keep my eyes peeled for it and will own it again hopefully one day. Hopefully for less than I had sold it for! : )

Thinking about what will happen with your belongings when you’re gone is a good thing to do. If disposal of the firearms will be a burden to whomever ends up with them then absolutely, at some point, probably sooner rather than later, you should pare down to the “minimum”.

While the same can be said for non-firearm belongings, firearms by their nature are harder to deal with.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.