Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good time to sell?

Quote Originally Posted by I_Like_Turtles View Post
    I could afford to sell off several but I'm kinda lazy. Now would be a good time although concerning handguns, I am very, very picky what I buy and thus, I don't want to get rid of anything. Most of my weapons are WW2 era bolt action rifles, bought during the last hay day of surplus.
    I’m lucky enough to live in a state that (at least for now) hasn’t had gun laws too trampled by libtards, so it is rather easy to buy and sell. I know what you mean about not wanting to get rid of them. Most of mine have no historical significance, but have time and dough put into making them just so. Sometimes they are a bit hard to let go of, but I tell myself that if I miss one that bad I can always get another. Maybe I have to look for a while to find a deal, but can just about always get close to what I had.

I had an earlier model Iver Johnson Thrasher SS, the stainless finished ones, before they started chroming them. I polished the slide, put grips on it, bought a nice holster, carried it a while then sold it. Few years later bought it back from a different guy than who I sold it to, and bought it back for less than I had sold it for. I then put night sights on it, polished the frame, trigger, etc. Shot it a bit then sold it again during a “purge”. I keep my eyes peeled for it and will own it again hopefully one day. Hopefully for less than I had sold it for! : )

Quote Originally Posted by 340pd View Post
    Keep getting older and questioning if now is a good time to sell some of the guns that are duplicates or are likely never to be shot again

My dad had guns. Probably more than many, but he wasn't a big collector. A couple years ago he tipped over, and my siblings and I had to divest ourselves of all his stuff. I think my brother got a couple guns, as did I. It's not that I didn't want ALL the guns, but I already had most of the guns I wanted, and had plenty that I grew bored with and might not ever shoot again. So why take on dad's guns that I'd never shoot? It made no sense. So we had a local FFL just sell them off. If we took the time to sell them off one at a time, we probably could have maximized our return. But none of us had the time or interest.

MY guess, 340pd, is that after you're pushing up daisies, your family isn't going to have the time or inclination to divest itself of your unwanted stuff. Find out now if any of your family members want your stuff. Don't make them feel guilty if they don't want it. If they do want something, and it's something you're thinking of getting rid of anyway, give it to them now. If nobody wants it, sell it. Save your family the trouble and work of having to do it themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
    My dad had guns. Probably more than many, but he wasn't a big collector. A couple years ago he tipped over, and my siblings and I had to divest ourselves of all his stuff. I think my brother got a couple guns, as did I. It's not that I didn't want ALL the guns, but I already had most of the guns I wanted, and had plenty that I grew bored with and might not ever shoot again. So why take on dad's guns that I'd never shoot? It made no sense. So we had a local FFL just sell them off. If we took the time to sell them off one at a time, we probably could have maximized our return. But none of us had the time or interest.

MY guess, 340pd, is that after you're pushing up daisies, your family isn't going to have the time or inclination to divest itself of your unwanted stuff. Find out now if any of your family members want your stuff. Don't make them feel guilty if they don't want it. If they do want something, and it's something you're thinking of getting rid of anyway, give it to them now. If nobody wants it, sell it. Save your family the trouble and work of having to do it themselves.
    Wow, you come from a decent family! I have seen kids that NEVER had time to visit literally break into and then ransack a house after the father died. The stuff they carried off had zero value but they took it anyway.

Having no heirs, I once planned on willing my stuff to younger guys I knew and thought well of. There was one guy I thought the world of, fellow ski instructor. But then he showed me his liberal side: I had just sold him a Ruger 10/22 but on a FB chat, right after the Sandy Hook massacre, he typed "we should ban all semi autos." Me: "does that include the one I sold you?" Him: "oh well, not that one but we have to do something!"

At that moment he screwed himself out of many thousands of dollars of inheritance. See, I have a big problem with hypocrisy. But now I look to be getting married to a rather pro-gun and pro-rights young lady and we may be adopting a child in the future.....and I have a grand nephew that is cool as heck.....so I may have heirs yet!

Good answers all.
    My single mom daughter's friend just sold his house and is moving in with her after five years of dating. Great guy and a rifle and shotgun hunter but owns no handguns.
    What have done is post the names of co-workers on the inside door of our safe. Let my kids and grandchildren pick out what they feel is appropriate for their personal use, anything else, call my buddies on the list and gift them.
    Hopefully all this will come to fruition years from now so I can teach them handloading skills.

I have decided at my funeral I'd like to have a pinata so people can have fun
    but,
    filled with bees so they don't have too much fun.
    "Never pet a burning dog"

Good idea about the note on the door of the safe. I may do something similar.

Impressive idea about the pinata. LOL

I have it in my will that the exact cause of death is to be put into the paper---none of this "died of a long illness" crap. I am considering donating my body to science though. I am increasingly opposed to an embalming and burial. My mother always got upset whenever I mentioned it but I don't think the Rapture can be stopped no matter what happened to a person's body. Besides, nothing like making a bunch of male medical students feel insecure when they practice dissection on me. LOL

It’s a good time to sell polymer guns, but not high quality metal guns. The new buyers want the latest whizz bang wonder nines and mouseguns, not 1911s, BHPs, or revolvers. I’ve had a S&W 67 on consignment forever, at a good price, no takers.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, SP101

That has been true for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    It’s a good time to sell polymer guns, but not high quality metal guns. The new buyers want the latest whizz bang wonder nines and mouseguns, not 1911s, BHPs, or revolvers. I’ve had a S&W 67 on consignment forever, at a good price, no takers.
    Very “on point” about the climate of the market.

I am simply too specific about my handgun purchases. I cannot let anything go.......well maybe my one Glock. I could let that go but I'd lose money on it.

You always lose money on plastic.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, SP101