Magnum Research new   Xssights   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New .22 LR and have some questions.

Default New .22 LR and have some questions.

I just got a 1953 Colt Official Police .22 LR (not the “target”). 4” barrel, trench rear sight...
    The lock-up, action, timing, everything but the finish are tight as a ...
    Would I be ok shoot my usual higher velocity stuff out of it? Should I stick to the slower/weaker stuff? Again, mechanically it is pretty much as new (doesn’t have any type of play in it anywhere), just the finish makes it a “shooter grade”, so I intend to shoot it quite a bit on .22 days at the range.

Anyone with experience or real world knowledge about an old .22 LR revolver like this? I know most would not want to shoot something this old on a frequent basis, but have read of others having good luck with them, so long as they are mechanically sound. What say you?

The gentleman that sold it to me gave me a letter from Colt. Says it was made in 1953, the shipped to Quebec Canada in 1954. Has an import mark on the side, making it even less of a collectible and more of a shooter I guess. Pics attached!

14556D23-30FC-4209-AA6F-58CA2278589E.jpg

DB545F20-98AF-4846-B4F4-7550D8434983.jpg

33920264-B630-427C-908E-56780886C29A.jpg

D8DCE378-01E5-495B-A741-67D756999D25.jpg

3DDA59A1-FA27-479E-935A-F2E297883A28.jpg

I have no first hand positive information to back it up but I have to believe it would be fine with the high velocity stuff. It's woodsmans and some of the target auto's that don't like the hot stuff.

I guess bottom line is if it was mine, I'd shoot the hot stuff.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

That is a very nice acquisition.

Colt transitioned their Woodsman semi-auto to high velocity .22LR in early 1933, so I think your 1953 Official Police will handle them.

That said, I would stay away from the hyper velocity stuff. You might even have people tell you not to use HV. Their concern is almost always in regards to the timing on the older, V-main spring Colts. If the gun goes out of time, it will be quite a chore to fix. There are fewer and fewer smiths who have expertise with these actions and finding parts is an issue. If it were mine I would try to limit wear and tear with standard velocity or high velocity .22LR ammo. Which speed might come down to what it shoots best.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

First off, what a cool old Colt! I would think a gun of that weight and quality is going to be under stressed for any 22lr round that would fit in the cylinder. I would try a bunch and see which prints/shoots point to aim the best. Figuring out what functions best will be half the fun!

Thanks fellas. I guess that answers my question. So, based on you guys responses I am going to shoot it a lot, but will limit the hot stuff. Actually, I have that TX22 to run the hot stuff, so I’ll limit this one to powder puff stuff. I do want it to keep running, so don’t want to risk the timing issues you mentioned GB, or the expense of a Smith repairing it. If it gets out of time I don’t know that it would be worth the expense to have it repaired. I was surprised at how little these go for when compared to the S&W .22’s. Those S&W’s must have an oz. or two of gold stuffed into the backside of their grips!!!

Very nice. I have an Official Police in .38 SPL I got last year. Fun weapon but needs better grips.

I want a Police Positive in 32. 20

Quote Originally Posted by I_Like_Turtles View Post
    Very nice. I have an Official Police in .38 SPL I got last year. Fun weapon but needs better grips.

I want a Police Positive in 32. 20
    Post up a pic please. I’m liking old revolvers lately and want to see that one too! : )
    If your grips are like what’s on this one, I see what you’re talking about. Even though it’s a .22, you’re still gonna want it to be comfy to shoot. I may be getting some grips myself, but will keep the shown one’s to the side to be kept with the gun. I had a Taurus J-frame sized revolver (I think it was a model 941?) that shot 22 WMR, and an EAA Windicator...lower cost guns with fantastic grips (to me at least)! I want some grips that feel like those do. : )

I can try, tomorrow. I haven't used Photobucket in years. No smartphone either so pics are a bit more intensive for me to do.

Mine is a 6 incher, built in 1950's.

I want a Police Positive because my mother used a cheap Spanish copy of one, in 32-20, to stop a rapist back in the early 60's.

I wish I knew what house that happened in. Dad says it was our home town, different house but I am sure my mother said another county. She didn't shoot the guy (no shells and worn out gun) but man, what a story!

Quote Originally Posted by I_Like_Turtles View Post
    I can try, tomorrow. I haven't used Photobucket in years. No smartphone either so pics are a bit more intensive for me to do.

Mine is a 6 incher, built in 1950's.

I want a Police Positive because my mother used a cheap Spanish copy of one, in 32-20, to stop a rapist back in the early 60's.

I wish I knew what house that happened in. Dad says it was our home town, different house but I am sure my mother said another county. She didn't shoot the guy (no shells and worn out gun) but man, what a story!
    No worries about a pic! Just if you had some on hand.
    Yes, that’s some story! Lucky Mom!