CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So when does COVID 19 affect the crime rate?

Default So when does COVID 19 affect the crime rate?

We've seen cases of newly-released criminals commit murder. Well, just now, my GF told me of robbers hitting grocery stores with knives in her city. Now she lives in Asia, so keep that in mind.

I have given her some advice: go as soon as store opens in morning, on a weekday. Carry decoy wallet and phone. (I do this when abroad). If robbed or hit with pick pocket, they'd hit my decoy wallet, as my money is in a money-belt under my shirt.

I sure wish I was there to protect her or had her here! I really wish others in the world had a right to be armed!

It's already up, here, according to the sheriffs office. I've used a decoy wallet too, I even printed a few twenties on a color printer and crumpled it a little, it was an image off the internet that says in red ink that it's fake, but they won't notice that till I'm long gone. You can use the dummy credit cards they send you in the mail with the credit card offers, and it should be good to go.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, CZ75

Quote Originally Posted by I_Like_Turtles View Post

I sure wish I was there to protect her or had her here! I really wish others in the world had a right to be armed!
    I spent a year in SE Asia in my mid-twenties. Not like the good ole USA. If you were there you’d both just be more of a target because you’re a foreigner (been there, experienced all that). They would proactively stab you in the liver or kidney to get rid of the witness and you’d die waiting for medical care (seen that.) The cops will never solve the crime. The bad guys will just take her stuff (throw away wallet) and let her go if she’s alone. It’s now worse where I went because they have started using crystal meth.

Like you said, much better if she were here. God bless the USA.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Planning my trip to meet her in 2018 I considered doing the fake money/fake CC thing but ran out of time. I really wanted to print on a card in their native language, something really offensive for them to read when they were going through the wallet post robbery.

Probably right on being targeted first. Oh, the racism!

Meth heads now? Ugh......got to get my Asian Persuasion over here!

I was in India in 1997, and I did the decoy wallet there too. I was actually hoping some jerk would try it (I was 23, kinda hot headed back then) so I would make having a wallet in my back pocket obvious. Yet, no one tried.

I saw what I believed was a theft and I made up my mind I was stopping that. I headed over there, intent on knocking that guy's head off his shoulders. As I approached, it became clear those were two friends goofing off with each other. Sigh of relief.

On a train, three men tried to rob me.....I think that is what they were trying to do. I had spent all my Indian money and was relying on my two Indian friends (college friends) with me to pay for everything. One would have been useless in a fight but the other would have died for me (and me for him). He was Muslim from Bangladesh and our bond was tighter than a brother. But he slept like a dead man and I could never have woken him up in time. On trains you don't sleep with your shoes on if you want to wake up and still have shoes. Mine were tied to my belt. I wasn't without arms as I had a pair of holding scissors that fit into my knuckles like a "sharp fist" and would do serious damage to an eye, face, neck and that is exactly what I would have done to those guys.

What happened was I tried to kick the ring leader's head off his shoulders as they were at the foot of my bunk. He had turned his back to me but moved at the last moment. I ended up kicking his ear. He spun around and I gave him the line from "The Unforgiven" when Clint Eastwood exists the cat house. I doubt they understood a word I said but I guess tone and body language is universal. They left me alone the rest of the trip.

I would have fought them, to the death, in socks, on an Indian train. That means me fighting in human urine and vomit because that's what's on the floors of Indian trains.

Well, when you are young, you are "invincible" or you don't care. I fully expected to walk barefoot to Calcutta that night, after getting thrown off that train. Thank God it didn't happen.

Sounds like you guys don't live in or near big cities in the US. I've traveled and stayed in many countries abroad, including SE Asia. Yes there are dangers, murders, etc. Yes, if you look different, potentially are carrying around money, etc. you are a target.

On the flip side, in my area of the US, in the 90's, kids were found dead, dumped in the dumpsters for their AJ sneakers. My Uncle, on leave from a SE Asian military, came here to visit for a family occasion and was found stabbed to death and tossed in a garbage bag. One of my coworkers (different state) was kidnapped as a child and forced into prostitution at 13. When I was in highschool, a local club would have drive buys by kids who were rejected for having fake ID's. Besides robberies, a local bar near my undergrad college had to start having a police presence dispering the crowds when they closed because every weekend they would have a stabbing or shooting as patrons left. I won't start with crime on the subways... Just saying...

Like any place, there are safer areas, safer hours, and safer situations. Usually you keep your head down, limit putting yourself in risky situations, and go about your business. Even if one is 100% justified with a physical confrontation, the secondary risk is how a country's police, justice system, and even jail conditions will treat you.

Hope your GF stays safe and healthy.

Edit: spelling
    Last edited by Scott321; 04-30-2020 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott321 View Post

Like any place, there are safer areas, safer hours, and safer situations. Usually you keep your head down, limit putting yourself in risky situations, and go about your business. Even if one is 100% justified with a phyical confrontation, the secondary risk is how a country's police, justice system, and even jail conditions will treat you.

So true, especially in how countries systems will treat you. No I don’t live in the city any longer and avoid it if at all possible. In years past I would have to go to Chicago a couple of times a year for a week or two at a time. Didn’t care for it at all. Went to NY City once. That was enough. Lived in Manila for a year. If I had to choose between Manila, Chicago, or NY City, it’s easy, Manila every time.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

I avoid big cities at all cost. Never been east of the big muddy. I hate going to Seattle although right now with all the shut downs is a great time to go look around although I still don't do it. Didn't lose anything down there I have to go look for. The town I grew up in used to be just a little town, now a thriving metropolis I also avoid at all cost.
    Mom and sister still live in the thick of it, hate going there.
    It's of course not like Chicago or New York far as gangs and wanton crime and corruption but just too damn many people.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Nope, don't live in or near a large city. My state doesn't even have a "large city," thank God!

Have lived in a large city before........didn't like it.

Living in a very safe but rapidly growing suburban area, we have seen an uptick in car burglaries. Not much else.
    Can imagine domestic abuse is on the rise though.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
    Living in a very safe but rapidly growing suburban area, we have seen an uptick in car burglaries. Not much else.
    Can imagine domestic abuse is on the rise though.
    "Safe" is a relative term, it can change in an instant.

Yes, I agree, domestic violence must be through the roof, especially in those (silly) "shelter in your house" areas. The virus dies quickly outside, in temps or 70 F and sunlight, less than 2 minutes. If you stay away from others, 6 feet or more, almost zero chance of getting the virus. Staying inside though, easy to catch and staying inside wrecks the mind even without an abusive partner.