Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bawanna's idea.

Default Bawanna's idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Had a set of fake stag grips that really looked, well fake. Bright shiny white, pretty good texture and most importantly for me Slim. Very difficult to find real stag and even fake that isn't as thick or thicker than standard 1911.
    I'm not a fan of fake but like thin and I'm reluctant to part with the funds for the real thing mostly cause they aren't thin???

Anyhow I got a set from Arizona Grips down near Greg and the color and texture were pretty decent, I'm partial to them. Wanted to put them on my Cbob but of course it's bob tailed. So I thought I'd check and see if the color went through and then I'd just make them bob tailed. Color didn't go through, I can see where something was applied to give it the aged look.
    Well that gave me the idea of putting something on the really fake looking plastic ones. I roughed them up a bit and then smoothed them again down to about 500 grit and applied some Maple stain.
    Turned out acceptable and I might try some walnut stain to darken them a bit more but they are good enough for me for now until I find some thin real ones. As a grip maker my hats off to the guys making the stag, I've tried and failed numerous times.

They look lighter again in the photo's, might have to break out the Walnut stain.
    Ok, this kind of pushed me over the edge on something I had been contemplating. To wit, staining real stag. My thought had been to do it overall much like Bawanna has done here. The idea being to give the stag an aged look.
    Well, that plan changed when an eBay seller offered me a substantial reduction of price on a set of grips I had saved in my cart. I hadn't bought them because there was a significant in color between the two panels. That and Bawanna's post got me to thinking if I could dye the panels to more closely match. I convinced myself they didn't need to be perfect just better, so I accepted the seller's offer.
    Here's what I received:

I think they are pretty nice as they came. This caused me to do something I don't normally do when using dye.
    If not boiling, I usually use alcohol instead of water to mix the dye with. However, I was worried about controlling the dye when doing the stag, so I used water.
    Here's how they turned out:

I am pretty pleased with the look. Then found I could revive the dried out dye I had in my mixing cup, by adding water to it. This led me to fear that the dye on the stag might react the same way to sweat. I decided to hit the grips with a matte clear enamel paint, wiping it off the light color areas. To me it doesn't appear to have changed the grips texture/appearance much (if any) from it's natural state.

Here they are mounted:
    The light source is from the left and it makes this grip panel shine more than the panel in the second photo (it also makes the panel in the second image appear "whiter" than it is).

Any thoughts ?

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

I like those, they still have a lot of bark on them for the color contrast. I think they looked fine before but really nice now.

How are they for thick. I'm working a set now (wood) with standard bushings and trying to make them as thin as I can.

I've got thin bushings on most of mine, almost wish there was an in between bushing but they work fine.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I like those, they still have a lot of bark on them for the color contrast. I think they looked fine before but really nice now.

How are they for thick. I'm working a set now (wood) with standard bushings and trying to make them as thin as I can.

I've got thin bushings on most of mine, almost wish there was an in between bushing but they work fine.
    They are a bit thicker than wood factory grips, but not uncomfortably so. The front strap checkering does a good job of making them work for me. Like you, thinner is better in my book, but it's not so easy to find in in stag. I just try to avoid those stag grips that are about as thick as 2x4s.
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Actually looking closer, you have enough coverage with those that you could probably thin them down from the back. Weather it would be worth it or not is subjective. Sometimes the grips just don't enough to thin down much.

Ok I'm off to look for Stag grips AGAIN?

Keep up with the Greg don't cha know.........
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

They look great. I'm sure they look even better in hand. And feel good too. How are they for grippiness?

Bawanna, next time I get a bull elk down you are welcome to the antlers to experiment with. Well, providing its not big enough to have mounted. Keep in mind I always put in for a cow as I hunt for the meat and not the antlers, but I do get an over the counter bull tag once in a while.

Very nice! I think you nailed it putting them on the TLE. Stag looks good on a polished gun, but twice as good on a blue/black gun in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBert View Post
    Bawanna, next time I get a bull elk down you are welcome to the antlers to experiment with. Well, providing its not big enough to have mounted. Keep in mind I always put in for a cow as I hunt for the meat and not the antlers, but I do get an over the counter bull tag once in a while.
    You da man, I've tried a few times but it takes just the right size and shape piece, I don't know how they do it. I found a really nice set a bit ago, I'm debating on weather I want to spend the loot. They are really nice, very similar to the set Greg posted. But a lot of money. Might have to hit the buy button in the morning.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Remember the 210 Target Colonel. Remember the 210 Target.......

Quote Originally Posted by dao View Post
    Remember the 210 Target Colonel. Remember the 210 Target.......
    Lol! Keeping up with Greg’s gonna run him into the poor house!