Xssights   Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any muzzleloader fans?

Default Any muzzleloader fans?

I love muzzleloaders! A CVA Bobcat caplock was one of the first rifles I bought when I turned 18 and I still have it. I haven't killed anything with it but I hunted with it pretty heavily in 1998 and 2000. Now I have three TC flintlocks....including one that is in .58.

I have a caplock pistol in .36 that is really fun to shoot. I once kept it loaded for a month and it went off like a boss when I took it to the range.

Anyone?

8.2015 Davis Rifle 003.jpg
    I shoot a LOT of BP through muzzleloaders. This is one of my favorites. Hand-Built for me by Mike Davis. 40 caliber "Southern Mountain Rifle". From a rest, she'll put 5 balls in a single hole you can cover with a quarter from 50 yds. That's with "primitive" iron sights and my very bad 70 yr old eyes.

That is drop dead gorgeous quido! Some damn nice Tiger Maple on that stock. Is that built left hand?
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Oh I love tiger striping! Very nice rifle.

I don't have a custom muzzleloader but I would sure like to have one.

Quote Originally Posted by guido4198 View Post
    8.2015 Davis Rifle 003.jpg
    I shoot a LOT of BP through muzzleloaders. This is one of my favorites. Hand-Built for me by Mike Davis. 40 caliber "Southern Mountain Rifle". From a rest, she'll put 5 balls in a single hole you can cover with a quarter from 50 yds. That's with "primitive" iron sights and my very bad 70 yr old eyes.
    Oh my, we must have more photos of that beauty!
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

That is a fine looking rifle.

I have a flint locked Lyman Great Plains Rifle, a pair of Ruger Old Army revolvers, a Pietta 1851 Yank snub nosed revolver and a Bobcat.

Finally! Scored a .45 caliber Thompson Center flintlock on Gunbroker! This is a "Hawken" but an early model without "HAWKEN" stamped on the barrel.

The lock on the early model T/C flintlock rifles left a lot to be desired. I replaced my early T/C lock with their "new design" lock and find the newer lock to be pretty darn good. It's not a Chambers...but it's not too bad for a mass produced flintlock. A Lyman frizzen is better than the T/C and can be easily fitted to use in your T/C lock. There's a vendor who sells them already "fitted" if you want to go that way sometime. If that becomes something you're interested in, I can dig up that reference.
    Good Luck with your new acquisition..welcome to the asylum..!!Shooting flint can get in your blood....and nothing else will do.

So when do we see more photos of that Southern Mountain Rifle? That thing is gorgeous.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by guido4198 View Post
    The lock on the early model T/C flintlock rifles left a lot to be desired. I replaced my early T/C lock with their "new design" lock and find the newer lock to be pretty darn good. It's not a Chambers...but it's not too bad for a mass produced flintlock. A Lyman frizzen is better than the T/C and can be easily fitted to use in your T/C lock. There's a vendor who sells them already "fitted" if you want to go that way sometime. If that becomes something you're interested in, I can dig up that reference.
    Good Luck with your new acquisition..welcome to the asylum..!!Shooting flint can get in your blood....and nothing else will do.
    Thanks man, I may have to do that if your misgivings prove correct for my rifle.