Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Any muzzleloader fans?

With the faster twist in your inline barrel, use a lower powder charge. Try 45-50 gns to start and see how it works. What powder are you shooting ? I’ve been assuming you have a 50 cal rifle. Let me know if that’s not correct. like so many of us, I started out with a mail order T/C 50 cal cap lock. Eventually got a T/C flintlock and finally moved into the custom built longrifles that have consumed my interest for a number of years now. That’s all I ever shoot. The key to shopping for a flintlock is the lock itself. A cheap lock, or one that’s not so cheap but simply not well built will turn a person off flintlock shooting faster than anything else. When you have a good quality, well tuned lock your rifle will be as reliable as any caplock and just as “ fast” to go off when you pull the trigger. I don’t get that whoosh-bang slow ignition from my rifles and I honestly can’t remember the last time one failed to fire when I pulled the trigger ( providing that I had put powder in and not “ dry balled..!!!).

Question. I shoot shotguns quite a bit and shoot a lot of Buckshot, so recoil is not problem. But for a inline, I want to shoot fairly often and will have no problem shooting at 50 yds. So, Just wondering if a light charge like 30-50gr will be OK and if so what bullet would you recommend? Is a stuck bullet a issue to be careful about?

I'm not savvy enough to know about the loads but do know that a stuck bullet is definitely something to be careful of.

With a muzzle loader it will be much more obvious than a rifle or any cartridge type gun. Your ram rod will tell you.

You can either pull the bullet with a puller, like a screw type attachment that goes on your ram rod or you can put another charge behind and reset the bullet, (this is important) need to push the bullet back down on the charge and not leave any space, if it had some charge the first round. Sometimes you have to do this a few times to create enough room for powder enough to get the bullet clear.

I've also probably unwisely put my compressor nozzle to the nipple and gave it a blast. It worked and put the bullet through the wall of my garage at that time. Not sure that's recommended and I didn't figure it would work that well but alas it worked and nobody died, always a good thing.

I'm not too familiar with the inlines, if you can access from the rear. Never played with one.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

THIS:
    " push the bullet back down on the charge and not leave any space"

It is critical that whatever bullet you're using, that it be snug against whatever powder charge you are using. NO space between them.
    I tell this story on myself every now and then to provide a warning:
    As I mentioned earlier, my first muzzleloader was a mail order 50 cal T/C "Hawken", caplock. I just got a "bug" one day to own one. It was 1975 or 76. Didn't know much about them, and there was NO internet back then. I read the little booklet that came with the rifle, and the blackpowder section in the back of an old Lyman reloading manual and figured I was good to go. I was using 50 gns of blackpowder. and the prelubed T/C patches that came in the "Accessory pack" I ordered with the rifle. First shot was great. Second shot...likewise. Third shot was hard to load...but I got it down. Fourth shot was REAL hard to load, so I applied MORE FORCE on the ramrod.
    There was no fifth shot. Ramrod broke. Seems like the little bit of reading I did either didn't discuss "FOULING" buildup, or it did and I ignored it. I also failed to learn how to use a ramrod. I just grabbed the end...and "Shoved her down". It worked for Fess Parker...!!! To correctly use a ramrod, once you have the bullet started...grip the rod 6-8 in. above the muzzle and push it down a little at a time until you have the bullet snug against the powder.
    Of course, we have the internet today and there are literally thousands of U-Tube videos to watch and learn. I've looked at a few of them over the years...SOME are actually quite good. SOME are so bad as to be dangerous. I recommend every shooter new to muzzleloaders and blackpowder find someone with actual experience, and knowledge to help get started. My gun club has a dedicated BP range, which is where I spend a lot of my range time these days.
    About this time of year...there's always a few members who show up on the BP range with a brand new muzzleloader and a few bags and boxes of shiny new "Stuff" they just picked up at Cabelas/Bass Pro, or just received in the mail. They're a lot like I was. Trying to get ready for the BP deer season...and fundamentally clueless. I'm always happy to give them all the help I can to send them off at least more SAFE than they were when they arrived, and WITHOUT a broken ramrod..!

One thing for sure as a Rookie going into the world of Muzzle loaders, there IS a big learning curve. Fortunately through Fiends on the internet like the ones helping on this forum, and the many Youtube videos, you can get a fairly good education if you apply yourself to learning. I do believe that many that get started in this sport due so for one purpose and that is to use for Deer Hunting and not so much for the interest in BP. While I already have acquired a License that will start the Deer season off two weeks earlier, that is Not the reason I have started into the world of Black Powder. I have always had the itch and the Ammo Shortage was just the kick in the A** to get moving.
    Already it is a fascinating adventure. The different Bullets, powder, charges, type of guns and Pistols etc is world of intrigue and enjoyment for anyone that truly loves firearms. Actually have spent so much time with Center Fire and Rimfire for so many years, this is like a refreshing change.

I do notice that the Youtubes etc, while providing much info, a lot of it is confusing and many contradictions. That said, the main core of solid info is out there. I already invested in a much better Ram Rod for instance. Already bought a bullet puller. Have a better understanding of the different powders, bullets, primers etc. But have a long way to go with Practical and diligent target work.
    Guido4198, liked what you said about the difference in quality of the Traditional Muzzle loader Locks. I plan to spend about a year shooting this budget inline, but again, will be moving on to a traditional down the road and of course the journey to fine the one I will choose actually starts now.
    I have always been a fan of the One Shot One Kill type of shooting since I was a kid and taught to shoot by my Dad, just never got into the AR style of shooting a lot of rounds, at one time. Not that there is anything wrong with them. Just not as fun to shoot for my personality type.

Interesting is the fact that my budget TC came in last night. (delivered after Midnight) is very similar to the build quality the the Midland single Barrel shotgun. Actually the Midland is better quality. And this seems like a nice gun that should give me a good start for the money invested to learn.
    So begins the Journey. Hope to get to the range in the next few days.
    Thanks to all, look forward to more interesting post. And That dang Mountain gun has locked into my mind. Man that looks like one fun gun to shoot. Beautiful

PS Bawanna, that gun you hooked up to the Air Compressor gives you a idea of what New modern Airguns are capable of.

Think about them new airguns now and then. Also not so new, Lewis and Clark had a couple air guns with their party.

I got into BP but haven't played for many years, I think that Mountain Gun and a good friend on another forum kind of reignited the bug.

The nice thing is you can go and shoot all day for less than 20 bucks, no emptying a 30 round magazine in 4 seconds with BP.

I've actually been looking for a squirrel rifle, like 32 or something to play with. Less powder, less lead. Haven't seen one at the local gun shows.

Already found a potential Flintlock kit as I was prowling last night. Might be a fun project after more research.

I didn't break a ram rod (yet) but I already got a fiberglass one as I just thought the wood one was a might fragile in my 54 TC Renegade.

This is all that Mountain guns fault.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Uh...friends, I appreciate all the great comments about my flintlock there in the picture.
    Fact is...
    THAT is my RIFLE...This is my GUN...Oh wait...that image probably isn't appropriate for this forum...(but you get the idea..!!!).
    BAWANNA...Those fiberglass rods are notorious among people who shoot muzzleloaders A LOT for causing muzzle wear on the crown of the barrel if used without a good fitting muzzle protector.
    If you don't have one already...You can order one from any of the ML suppliers, or look around at home depot or Loews for a brass plumbing ferrule, you probably have 3/8" OD rod. I've used 3/8" ID brass ferrule from Home Depot for years on one of my rods.

Well man it's a very pretty stock! Further, flintlocks are very old school and to quote "The Incredibles," "there is no school like the old school."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Think about them new airguns now and then. Also not so new, Lewis and Clark had a couple air guns with their party.

I got into BP but haven't played for many years, I think that Mountain Gun and a good friend on another forum kind of reignited the bug.

The nice thing is you can go and shoot all day for less than 20 bucks, no emptying a 30 round magazine in 4 seconds with BP.

I've actually been looking for a squirrel rifle, like 32 or something to play with. Less powder, less lead. Haven't seen one at the local gun shows.

Already found a potential Flintlock kit as I was prowling last night. Might be a fun project after more research.

I didn't break a ram rod (yet) but I already got a fiberglass one as I just thought the wood one was a might fragile in my 54 TC Renegade.

This is all that Mountain guns fault.

Let me play the Devil's advocate here: that brand new Henry of yours shoots a cartridge that cut it's teeth on black powder...and there's always this:
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

That's pretty cool and something to put in the memory banks, plus I have 3 jugs of Triple Seven but it's FFF. Have to find some FF for my 54 although a reduced charge of the FFF is supposed to work.

Smoke cloud out of a 1911, kind a makes my britches stick out in front. Probably nasty to clean though.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan