Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm not sure that Kahr cares very much about their small 380s

Default I'm not sure that Kahr cares very much about their small 380s

I picked up my two new P380s ($300 at shoot-straight) about a week ago. When I did the prep work and changed the strikers on then I found that the shaft on the slide lock was too tight in the frame to function. On both guns I had to sand and polish the shafts down so that they would rotate in the frame. Once that was done I discovered that the spring that holds the lock down was adjusted wrong and would not push it down. Minor readjustment, but the guns were build five days apart in May of 2019. The same problem on both guns? For as long as they have been building these guns I would expect them to know how by now. The 380s still do not come with the Lakeline striker which is a flaw that has been identified for a long time. Anyone want to buy a couple of brand new Kahr strikers cheap? LOL On the four, six rounds mags that came with the two guns I could not remove the base plates for cleaning. I like to clean, check for burs, and lube with silicone spray. I managed to get one started enough with a block of hardwood and a hammer to get a screwdriver in the gap but I quit before I got it off for fear of damaging it. How could they be assembled without someone noticing that they needed that much pressure to get them on? I have a CW380 and a PM9 that I love and expect that these P380s will be great guns to, but they really should be better right out of the box. I'll be glad when the range opens again so I can go break them in. I really don't expect any problems from here in as I did the prep for a new Kahr and the other two guns gave me no real problems.

On the bright side, you now have a brace of extremely rare, DustnChips customized P380s.
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Hardly customized, but I am happy to have them at such a great price. One is a gift, the other is a gift for me from me.

Just imagine the poor sap who bought two of those and expected them to work without having to gunsmith them.

I’ve been fortunate with my CT380. 750 rounds with no malfunctions other than a recent issue where the slide no longer locks back on the last round. I thought about buying one of those cheap P380s but decided not to push my luck. IMO the out of the box failure rate is just too high on the 380.

In full disclosure I’m batting 500 on Kahr 380s. My CW380 was a massive dud that Kahr wasn’t able to fix.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

I bought a new CW .380 with the same slide stop pin tightness. Rather than sanding down the slide stop shaft you might have mic'd the shafts (I bet they were the same) and taken a like sized drill bit and reamed out the plastic holes in the frame. This bore aligns the holes in the frame as well which in retrospect I think was the bigger issue. The way you did it is fine...it worked, but now your slide stop shafts are neither round nor straight and your plastic pin holes will open a bit making the pins a little too small. Just my $.02.

I would rather mess up a slide stop than a frame. The idea of improving alignment is not valid as the two holes are different sizes. For the amount that I took off they can not be very out of round and there is no reason that the shaft would not be straight. If they get sloppy in the frame I can buy new stops very cheaply. I always look at the cheapest part to work on if all else is equal. I noticed another thing on one of the guns today. When you look down at the top of the chamber with the gun in battery the lines where the flat top and the angle cuts on the sides meet are not straight. A bit scalloped along both edges. I know they won't be a problem, but sure is bad looking on their premium gun. The only way I will buy another Kahr is from a shop where I can see what I am getting before I buy. Yea, I know no one else will probably ever notice it, but I am a bit particular about things. Other people are OCD, I'm just a bit particular about things. They had sure better run better that they are looking right now. I also checked the extractor grip and found that 2# was sufficient to slide the shells out on both of the guns.

I just ordered a P380 from Shoot-Straight, should be here on Thursday. I'm also one of those gun owners who is very particular and want things to work as designed, or better, so I'll be going over the P380 with a fine tooth comb before it ever goes to the range.

Quote Originally Posted by Funflyer View Post
    I just ordered a P380 from Shoot-Straight, should be here on Thursday. I'm also one of those gun owners who is very particular and want things to work as designed, or better, so I'll be going over the P380 with a fine tooth comb before it ever goes to the range.

Good man, hope it works well for you. When I first heard Kahr had made a .380, I thought "wow, that will be one great .380."

My P380 came back from the factory working great, so I got a Lakeline striker. It became hard to rack. After some polishing on the new striker, it loosened up.
    I shot some Armscor through it and had several light striker hits, several failures to return to battery, and a couple of stove pipes.
    Shot some other ammo and it seemed ok.
    I'm wondering if I will have to break it in all over again or maybe just go back to the factory striker.

Quote Originally Posted by wally1 View Post
    My P380 came back from the factory working great, so I got a Lakeline striker. It became hard to rack. After some polishing on the new striker, it loosened up.
    I shot some Armscor through it and had several light striker hits, several failures to return to battery, and a couple of stove pipes.
    Shot some other ammo and it seemed ok.
    I'm wondering if I will have to break it in all over again or maybe just go back to the factory striker.
    That’s the first I’ve heard of problems caused by installing the Lakeline striker. It should not need a new break in.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.