CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: Magazine Surprise

Default Magazine Surprise

Finally received my Wolff RSA from Midway (it seemed to take forever) and went to do the initial cleaning on the MK9. All went well as the gun was fairly clean internally and the Wolff RSA installed easily. I was thinking the uncaptured assembly would be tricky to install but that was not the case. I disassembled the magazine to clean and install a Lakeline follower and was greeted by a ton of some oily/pine tree sap like substance on the inside of the magazine tube. I washed my hands with Dawn at the kitchen sink and the stuff didn't want to come off my fingers. Some Gunscrubber got the magazine all cleaned up and I installed the excellent Lakeline follower. I can't imagine how that magazine would have functioned without cleaning. Yet I wonder how many new gun owners buy a new gun and just load it up out of the box and stick it in a night stand. Too many I'm sure!

All of my Kahr mags have needed to be cleaned before use, for that same reason. Whereas I don't recall any other manufacturer's mags being that way.

My CZ's were oily inside and definitely needed attention but it wasn't like tree sap in there.

One never knows how long these guns (any guns) sit on a shelf at a distributor. Depending on what oil is used it can gum up. Some don't. Most manufacturers used to use Du Lite which goes a very long time without turning to glue. Not sure what Kahr uses.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."