Tommy Gun   Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: K9 compensated barrel

The sight radius didn't change, but something did. Eli knows his bargain ported barrel shoots different from his oem barrel. He wants to fix the issue by installing an adjustable rear sight. To make his k9 shoot point of aim at 7yds with his ported barrel he would have to crank up the adjustment on his new sight to a little bit over 1.5 inches. That would look funny and probably snag on his clothing when drawing the gun.

To do more tests we need to wait until next month when the local range will open up. I am curious too and mad at myself why I didn't do a thorough test like Bawanna did with his MK9. I guess I was totally disappointed expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by Canine Dave View Post
    The sight radius didn't change, but something did. Eli knows his bargain ported barrel shoots different from his oem barrel. He wants to fix the issue by installing an adjustable rear sight. To make his k9 shoot point of aim at 7yds with his ported barrel he would have to crank up the adjustment on his new sight to a little bit over 1.5 inches. That would look funny and probably snag on his clothing when drawing the gun.
    Raise the rear sight 1.5 inches and the Star Ship Enterprise should be very concerned. I suspect a shorter front sight and a slightly taller rear sight are in order if in fact it shoots good groups.
    The MK I mentioned was all over the place. A foot right, then a foot left and most no idea where they went, didn't have a big enough target to tell.
    Also curious is that is polygonal or conventional rifling, not that it matters, still could be something wrong.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I don't see any reason the sight radius would be changed, the slide is the same. Apparently sights just aren't regulated for that barrel or it's defective. Would make a dandy bottle opener.

I had my K40 Magna Ported, I prefer that look over the barrel sticking out the front. If it stuck out to accept a suppressor, might be able to live with it. Course I'd never spend the money or jump through the hoops to get a can.

Years ago we recovered a MK9 that fell off a deputies belt while he was out crabbing in puget sound. He had a GPS and marked where he was at. Out dept had a couple divers and they went out and found it in no time, still in it's clip on holster. Went from the salt water right into a bucket of outdrive oil. Cleaned it all up and thought just to be safe we'd send it to Kahr with the full disclosure for inspection. They replaced all the springs and small parts, came back in a new box with a couple new mags looking like new. (No Charge).

The deputy felt so stupid that he didn't want the gun back, it became a pass around gun for awhile until a detective laid claim to it, most all the grips I've made for MK were with that gun.
    Anyhow nobody cared for it as they said it wasn't accurate. 4 or 5 guys shot it over a period of time and said it just didn't hit. So I ended up with it, took it out to a place in the woods we used to be able to shoot at and hung a paper plate.
    Started at about 7 yards and I could not hit the plate, moved to 5 then up to about 3 yards.
    I finally just winged an edge and thought, oh the sights are just off. So I held to allow and no hits. Then I hit just the edge of the opposite side of the plate.
    Long story short, the salt water had apparently corroded or defiled the polygonal rifling. It was all over the place. I got hold of Kahr again with full disclosure and they sent me a barrel. Thing was an absolute tack driver, then everybody wanted it.

The end.
    Cool story Bawanna,thanks for sharing that!

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Raise the rear sight 1.5 inches and the Star Ship Enterprise should be very concerned. I suspect a shorter front sight and a slightly taller rear sight are in order if in fact it shoots good groups.
    The MK I mentioned was all over the place. A foot right, then a foot left and most no idea where they went, didn't have a big enough target to tell.
    Also curious is that is polygonal or conventional rifling, not that it matters, still could be something wrong.
    Too the picture of both barrels - the ported one is on the left and my original one on the right. It appears to me that both have polygonal rifling. Once I do more shooting I'll post result. Stay safe!

IMG_5654.jpg