Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Xssights
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: That sucks: magazine follower broke apart.

Default That sucks: magazine follower broke apart.

OK....so that vintage K9 I bought some weeks ago and posted about.....loading up the stock mag and the magazine follower broke apart! Back end broke off it. Oh well....calling Kahr tomorrow for a replacement.

Lakeline's all metal follower cost more, but is, IMO, a tremendous improvement over the OEM polymer/metal follower.
    Kahr sells it on their website, but it's slightly cheaper (with shipping) on Lakeline's website.

Stepping up a bit more in price is Maggut's product (7 rounds to 8): https://magguts.com/product/kahr-9mm...ound-magazine/

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Thanks man! I was considering this might be a good time to try an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    Lakeline's all metal follower cost more, but is, IMO, a tremendous improvement over the OEM polymer/metal follower.
    Kahr sells it on their website, but it's slightly cheaper (with shipping) on Lakeline's website.

Stepping up a bit more in price is Maggut's product (7 rounds to 8): https://magguts.com/product/kahr-9mm...ound-magazine/

Regards,
    Greg
    At what point does it make sense to just replace the magazine? With a new replacement, I.L.T would have a new follower, new spring and most important, new feed lips. Unless he knows the round count on his used Kahr it could be a wise investment.

New K820 magazines on eBay are $35.00, nominal shipping.

If the follower is hitting the feed ramp it’s just a matter of time before a new plastic one breaks.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Yes, that does suck big time. I am a fan of the Kahr. But some things do suck. I spend the extra money to buy the upgraded steel followers. And with a dozen mags for the 380 and 9mm's that gets expensive. I am a big fan fan of the Beretta Pico and Nano/Carry. Ever seen their magazines? TOP SHELF! Stainless steel and perfect design, perfect stainless steel follower. I have about a dozen 380 and about 15 mags for the Nano. Never once had one problem. Perfect.

Those reming me of the Sig P238 & P938 mags. Also very well made imho.
    Interesting notice....in the pics you posted, around the mag release catch hole they flared out the mag. I guess you would get a very positive “snap” as the mag release clears that flared spot and makes it’s way in there.
    54584A98-CA9F-4F07-83F1-468796BCE84A.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Canine Dave View Post
    At what point does it make sense to just replace the magazine? With a new replacement, I.L.T would have a new follower, new spring and most important, new feed lips. Unless he knows the round count on his used Kahr it could be a wise investment.

New K820 magazines on eBay are $35.00, nominal shipping.
    I guess that would be up to the individual. IMO, Kahr's polymer follower has been a weak point for their 9mm and .40 caliber guns.

We seen on this forum that modifying the polymer follower can make the 9mm guns less sensitive to technique when chambering a round via slingshot. To my knowledge Kahr, only recently changed the polymer follower to mimic the KT modified follower.

It's been my experience, that the .40 cal pistol is better in this regards, but we see quite a few cases of broken follower skirts with their followers.

The Lakeline follower and Magguts kit remedy (IMO) both of these issues.

I'm not saying the OEM mags suck (personally, I think the tubes are quite durable), just that they or the guns (trimming the feed ramp on .40 guns prevents broken follower skirts) can be improved.

FWIW, the 45 mags (Wynn's broken springs aside) are quite good. I just wish they would make a tube that mimics compact 1911/Officer's ACP magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    If the follower is hitting the feed ramp it’s just a matter of time before a new plastic one breaks.
    This is true, especially in .40 cal Kahr pistols. It's usually the front skirt that breaks, so I wonder if that is what caused the rear leg of turtle's follower to fail?

Another FWIW: once upon a time, Kahr did make a metal follower that was quite good.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

I agree that the tubes are actually pretty good, the followers and in some instances the floor plates can be an issue. Many wish for flush floor plates especially in the 45's.

I've not had issues with mine but I haven't shot the 9's all that much. The 45 has many rounds through it but no issues.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    I guess that would be up to the individual. IMO, Kahr's polymer follower has been a weak point for their 9mm and .40 caliber guns.

We seen on this forum that modifying the polymer follower can make the 9mm guns less sensitive to technique when chambering a round via slingshot. To my knowledge Kahr, only recently changed the polymer follower to mimic the KT modified follower.

It's been my experience, that the .40 cal pistol is better in this regards, but we see quite a few cases of broken follower skirts with their followers.

The Lakeline follower and Magguts kit remedy (IMO) both of these issues.

I'm not saying the OEM mags suck (personally, I think the tubes are quite durable), just that they or the guns (trimming the feed ramp on .40 guns prevents broken follower skirts) can be improved.

FWIW, the 45 mags (Wynn's broken springs aside) are quite good. I just wish they would make a tube that mimics compact 1911/Officer's ACP magazines.

This is true, especially in .40 cal Kahr pistols. It's usually the front skirt that breaks, so I wonder if that is what caused the rear leg of turtle's follower to fail?

Another FWIW: once upon a time, Kahr did make a metal follower that was quite good.

Regards,
    Greg
    What does this mean "To my knowledge Kahr, only recently changed the polymer follower to mimic the KT modified follower". My K9 is new. I have 350 rounds now, divided more or less equally between the two 7 round magazines. I just looked at the magazines and can't see where there might be an issue. The little nub on the follower shows some wear, probably because i usually (not always) drop the slide with the slide release. Also, as far as not having any first round ftf issues could be because I only load 5 rounds? Habit, I guess.

I was an owner of a P9 for a short time. When I was wheeling the deal the previous owner kept mentioning that he had replaced the damn base plates and followers in the magazines. He acted like it added great value to the package and couldn't understand why I could care less. Now I get it.