Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: May... May we get out of the house?

Luckily for me, I have a second home in a more civilized part of the state...………………………………………...open carry there with no issues. The city is a whole "nuther" world. I don't like it and am preparing to hopefully make an exit soon...…………………………………………………..

Quote Originally Posted by I_Like_Turtles View Post
    Ugh....the lazy shopping cart user! As a rule, I bring my cart back into the store or at least the outside holding area. Generally, when going in, I bring in at least one cart, even if I have to get it from a holding area. Sometimes I bring in all the carts after I am done shopping. This has won me some extra privileges and sway at the local grocery store.

Once, at Walmart, about 2000, I was pulling in and a lady was putting exercise equipment she had just bought into her SUV. It was clear she was going to leave her cart next to her car and leave. I stopped, called to her, and asked her what she had bought.

She said, "exercise equipment." ME: "that's great! Do you plan to get into shape?" HER: "Yes I do!" ME: "Get into shape? How about you start by putting your cart where it goes?" HER: angry cursing. ME: "I think you are too lazy." I then drove off.
    It is extremely a rare time that I leave my house without my EDC. And of course that one time is recently,which made me a little sorry I did.

I went to Taco Bell and of on this day was a long line of vehicles going through the Drive through. The cars ended up being bumper to bumper. And because of that the two cars behind me ended up blocking a car that was parked and the patrons inside.
    2) Patrons inside then came out. I saw them come out and it was obvious three Trash from the hood. As soon as they got into their car, the driver got upset and laid on his horn. It also was obvious to him that they were incapable of moving out of the way. And of course that did not matter to them. And rather than just exercise some patience they got out of the car and started yelling at the two driver. Then I made the BIG mistake. I put my big head out the window and said "Is this really necessary".
    Bingo! That was all it took. The head Animal started cussing me out. Screaming the F word, calling me names etc. I rolled up the window, ignored him, and his threats. Got my cell phone out, ready to call the Police. In a short time, the cars cleared, he got back into his car, then came around to my side to issue more threats. Again I ignored him and he left.

Point. I did not have my carry gun and no protection. I was trapped between two cars and no place to go. A I violated a big rule of NEVER say a word to anyone, most especially to certain groups of people. KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT, STAY OUT OF IT!
    The third mistake I made was NOT calling the Police right away. Situational awareness was bad on my part that day in so many ways.

I live in a good part of town. But I hate this town with a passion. Hope to get out soon. The area is being taken over like a slow cancer. I have a place I hope to retire to in the county. One thing I have learned is the fact that on any given day "You do not know when the monster will raise his head". It really is a jungle and like in the jungle you have to stay focused all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by I_Like_Turtles View Post
    Ugh....the lazy shopping cart user! As a rule, I bring my cart back into the store or at least the outside holding area. Generally, when going in, I bring in at least one cart, even if I have to get it from a holding area.
    Indolent cart borrowers is a personal peeve. It violates every mom's admonition to "never a lender be, but if you do, return it promptly in as-good or better condition than you borrowed it". Also, the first abandoned cart propped over a divider island seems to be license for others to leave theirs, and it becomes a space-blocking, traffic-hazard, roll-away prone, cart-packed defacto return area; a violation of the social contract. Similar to a mess in the office bathroom or coffee station - the first coffee creamer spill seems to make it permissible for others to be slobs, too, and it grows fast.
    My kids grew up expecting to grab one or two stray carts with me on the walk across the lot to the store. I couldn't resist emailing Armybrat's post to my family, but it's preaching to the choir. What I'd really like to do is post it at all the shopping cart pens

That was 2000.....I was a younger and more vocal person then.

I'm a bit more prudent now....plus I understand the requirements of "Stand Your Ground" including the part of "don't be part of the altercation that led to the use of deadly force."

All counties in the US are seeing an increase of drug addicts and what comes with them.....the homeless. Next town over is full of them....heroin users.

In 2017 I had gone to the store to get some items for my mother. When I exited the store and went to my car, I noticed a buggy left in a spot in front of a car. The car had two people up front, man at wheel and female in passenger side. Both were looking down and never looked up, which is pretty telling.

I never said a word, just got the buggy and began to push it away. A terribly skinny woman in the backseat climbed out of her door and stood on the rocker panel, screaming profanities. "THAT'S RIGHT M.....F....YOU PUSH THAT AWAY! THAT'S YOUR ***** JOB.....!" More profanity.

I never said a word and but looked to see what her friends were doing. They never so much as looked up.

I thought, "if she comes over here I'll pepper spray her and depending on how that goes, may have to shoot her and her friends." But no, nothing more happened.

I put the cart into the store and returned to my car. Crazy lady had calmed and gotten back into her seat.

Later I spoke with a city fireman who told me "the reason she did this was because she hadn't had her shot of heroin...she was in withdrawal. Now the reason her friends never so much as looked up is they had had their hits and were out-of-it."

I spoke with an ambulance crew, relating the same story. The lead medic said "next time just shoot them all.....save us a lot of trouble later."

Now I told this same story to my brother.....who is a lot different from me in almost every way (including arrest record). He said "wish I'd been there! They'd have left with the buggy in the car with them!"

My brother is always funny.....and if you knew him you'd know they would have left with the buggy inside their car.
    Last edited by I_Like_Turtles; 05-14-2020 at 01:36 PM.

Part of everyday carry is what I consider being a sheepdog. In your Taco Bell scenario it would depend on who was in the blocking cars and what their response was to me.
    If they were elderly for sure, or unable to defend but reasonable and polite, I'd not keep my mouth shut and stay out.

I never do drive thru since I can't hear for beans and can never understand, usually don't go to restaurants, wife does all that, which is probably dropping my guard as a sheepdog letting her do that.

We had a farmer just down the hill from us, the main road runs right by it. The farmer was driving real slow looking at his cows and not paying attention to the road or traffic of which there usually isn't much. A bunch of bikers, think rice rockets, not bearded Harley Hells Angels were behind him. They all went around him no issue except the last one as the farmer kind of drifted to the left lane intending to turn into one of his farm access roads. Only going less than 10MPH the biker could easily have just stopped but he made a big dramatic exit, basically just stood up and let his bike go which ran off and crashed into a big pile of tires used to cover silage. He just ran a couple steps, never even hit the ground.
    Knowing what was ahead I stopped and watched. Of course the biker is throwing a fit at the old man, very elderly.
    I rolled down the window and explained to him that he was free to berate and throw his hissy fit at the old man all he wanted but if he raised a hand or touched the man in anyway that I was in it too.
    That seemed to change the tide just a bit, no weapon was displayed and we all went on with our day. Another happy sheepdog day.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

KUDOS to you for maintaining your sheepdog mentality. I have the same outlook on life and consider it a moral duty.

Sounds like you did fine concerning the conceited and moronic biker.

I recall those NYC bikers a few years ago that attacked an SUV, the driver running one of them over, running for it, caught in traffic and they pulled him out and nearly beat him to death. Two of the attackers were New York undercover police....clearly deep undercover. Mob mentality.

I learned at a young age, what can happen when you decide to confront someone about their behaviors......................................... ..When I was working as a store detective, I had the hot barrel from a 1911 .45 pressed up against the back of my left ear. Left a burn ring for months. Even though it was my job, I injected myself in to a situation that wasn't really worth dying over. I got lucky that day. That gun had just been previously used for who knows what...……………………. I was being trained at that time by an ex Miami cop. At that time, if you were a Miami cop and you survived for 11yrs., you could retire with a pretty good monthly payout. He was doing store work for the adrenaline rush, he didn't need the cash. I liked the rush myself. He always told me, that if I was going to be in that line of work, to never trust anyone period, and if I was planning on confronting someone about their behavior, to be ready for ANYTHING to happen. People don't like to be corrected, right or wrong...…………………………………………………………………..I'm young, I'm working a Goodwill type store in a large city that had numerous problems in a very bad area. One afternoon, one of the workers runs up and tells me that a male patron, and I use that term loosely, took some new clothes in to the bathroom, and exchanged them for his dirty nasty clothes which he left in a stall. When I worked this store, I dressed the part for the area, so my attire didn't look that much better. I waited for him to come out after visually observing him exchanging the clothing in the john stall. I didn't want to stand out so I had a 6 iron from a golf set in my hands and was waggling the club like I knew what I was doing. I did seriously play at the time. This guy comes out from the john and notices me because I'm the only one on that floor at the time. He comes over right next to me and says, " You golf? ". I said, " Yup ". He said, " How far can you hit it with that club? " I say, " Oh about 150 yds.". He pulls a driver out of the same bag and he's waggling it next to me. He says, " How far do you think I could hit this?" I said, " I don't know, I've never seen you swing." As I'm saying this, I'm about to put my club back into the bag, when my cop friend's words started ringing in my ears. As I turn to put the club back, I'm looking out of my peripheral and see that he's raising the club up over his head, and he's going/just about to peel my skull open like a grape. I spin, take a full swing and bury that 6 iron in to his leg right below his knee cap. I heard a noise come out of him, which I've never heard again since. I felt his leg bend the opposite way and he went down like a sack of potatoes. This guy was about 6'5' and doing 250 anyways. Screamed the whole time he was laying there along with spitting on me and everyone else who came near. As we were holding him down, I felt no guilt whatsoever. It was a time where I had wished that my clubhead speed was faster. I had to use the bathroom after that myself...………………………………...so these days, I pick and choose very carefully who I decide to involve myself with, in the terms of confrontations, and I still remember those trust words given to me by the ex cop. Saved my carp that day. He wasn't saying don't trust anyone, or don't trust people in general, he was saying, if your going to confront people that are strangers about their behaviors, be ready for anything.

Neat story, glad it went well for you. Nice handy job you did there with the club.

We each have to make a judgment on "what kind of person we are." There will be serious consequences no matter which person we choose to be....some can be immediate and some may have to wait until Judgment Day.

I'm more reserved these days but at times I am going to involve myself since if I don't, I'll hate myself for years for failing to live up to the standards I've set for myself.

It all depends on the situation of course.....

In general I avoid domestic issues since I know from rental cop training how easily that gets you attacked by the same woman you stepped in to save. I call police and have been a great witness in such cases. Now if things get really bad....I will step in but expecting attack from victim also.

A story to illustrate that I am more thoughtful these days:

In 2011 I broke my leg in a skydiving crash and was going around in one of those padded velcro "walking boots." I was renovating a rental at the time and just had to work on it, doing what I could. It's late and I had stopped at a small gas station for a snack. I had pulled into a parking space that happened to be at an angle to a window where I could see the clerk but not the customer.

There are two doors one must go through to get into the store, the register is within 5 feet of the second door. A man goes in.....SUDDENLY I SEE THE CLERK RAISE BOTH HANDS IN THE CLASSIC "SURRENDER" GESTURE..........IT'S AN ARMED ROBBERY!

Back then I wasn't nearly as dedicated in the area of carry as I am now. At the time I had a Model 49 .38 Special in the console and my initial plan was "hobble through door, stop robbery." Thinking fast though I realized I probably wouldn't pull that off even if not on crutches....so instead, I began calling "911" but made up my mind "if he hits her or jumps the counter, we are going in."

Just as I reached for the "send" button the lady put her hands down and it was clear she was laughing. SOME FOOL HAD PLAYED A ROBBERY TRICK ON HER.

Now wouldn't that have been awkward! "Walking wounded comes hobbling through doors with gun drawn and yells 'FREEZE! REACH FOR THE SKY!'"

Quickly followed by "wait...what?"

Some guy in Fl. is in deep do do right now. He shot a guy robbing cars in the back. That isn't going to fly even with stand your ground law. Hard to claim you felt threatened when you shot the guy in the back.

USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frιdιric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".