Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: May... May we get out of the house?

I think the late Feburary shooting of Ahmaud Arbery in Brunswick Ga shows how bad a situation can go in the blink of an eye...This seems to be another case of 2 knuckleheads finding each other in the wrong place and wrong time similar to the Zimmerman / Trayvon deal.....I'm pretty sure you have seen the video on the news and it's about all they are showing here but basically it went down like this, an armed father/son decided to try and make a citizens arrest on 25 year old Arbery because they decided he was a person of interest in a closed circuit alarm video of someone matching his description looking around in a house under construction so they saw him jogging in the neighborhood and decided to stop and arrest him while armed with a shotgun....Well this is where it gets weird, rather than stopping to see what the son with the shotgun wanted Arbery attacked him and as they fought over the shotgun he ended up getting shot dead....This is a classic example of a situation that didn't need to happen...Moral of this story is if you CCW don't get involved in something the police should handle unless it's life or death and if a guy has you point blank with a loaded shotgun it's not wise to try and take it away from him....Whole thing is a shame, now a 25 year old is dead and a father/son are probably going to prison for life over something they shouldn't have ever been involved in.......

Actually they observed Arbery entering a house under construction. That’s what caught their attention. The father called 911 to report it but when Arbery exited the house it appears they decided to try to make a citizens arrest while openly armed. It didn’t end well. Tragic situation for all involved. Didn’t have to happen.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Quote Originally Posted by dustnchips View Post
    Some guy in Fl. is in deep do do right now. He shot a guy robbing cars in the back. That isn't going to fly even with stand your ground law. Hard to claim you felt threatened when you shot the guy in the back.
    Active Self Protection did a video on that. John Correia's take is "where they were shot doesn't matter as much as why they were shot." Depending on the circumstances I will not hesitate to shoot an attacker in the back. Real life isn't "Gunsmoke" although I like that show quite a bit.

Now to come back to your point.....I suspect with this case you've mentioned, some well-intentioned man responded to a felony but wasn't as well-versed in the law as we may be. He also hadn't put much thought into how situations can go down and what, exactly, he needs to do when. I don't think the basic CCW class is as thorough as it should be but at the same time, I don't think there should be a class required to exercise a right.

Love the crazy dog muzzle! That's pretty funny.

Arbery case......I often walk down the road, sometimes miles at a time. I'm always carrying. If two men cut me off and were brandishing weapons, demanding I stop and "talk to them," I'd think "kidnapping" and depending on variables I cannot foresee, engage whichever one I thought to be more of a threat. If one had a shotgun and one a pistol, I'd take shotgunner first then see what needed to happen to the other guy.

Arbery did fine fighting the nearer threat. He looked to be winning before shot.

In my opinion, clear-cut manslaughter. I don't think either man set out to murder Mr. Arbery however their actions are not consistent with citizen's arrest law. As expected, the left wing media is trying to show the country to be "racist" over this one, it's what they do.

Being the target of at least two attempted burglaries, I understand the frustration one can have with criminals, however, one simply must know the law and when they can and cannot act and if they do act, just how far they can take it. Unfortunately, Mr. X Cop & Son, did not know that and have needlessly taken a human life and will lose their freedom as a result.

On an aside, this case reminds me of a police training video I saw regarding responding to a call with a shotgun. Anyone seen that one?

7:33 on this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBb2jGAOLHc

We have walked into houses under construction in the new nearby development while out for evening/morning strolls. Just interested in looking at new designs out of curiosity. If there aren’’t any trespassing signs or busy workers on site, then we don’t feel like we are out of line at all.
    These two guys appear to have premeditated something, because they had their buddy trailing them to video whatever might happen. Looks like manslaughter to me. If they were concerned about a possible “burglary”, why didn’t they call for the real cops and just follow the dude instead of trying to play hero? Not to mention it could have been seen that the dead guy wasn’t carrying a weapon in his shorts or T-shirt.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

They did call the police but then got stupid when the guy left the house under construction.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Stupid is the key word here.
    I think the video setup is very telling they wanted something to happen.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Anyway.... on a lighter note...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Rudyard Kipling

Good one! Would like a tee shirt like that.

I assume the video of the murder was posted for "likes" and well it did get a lot of shares! The phenomenon which is sharing pictures and videos of stupid behavior is rather amazing. It was the video getting onto social media that stunk these three men. The video guy is in deep do do too.

Attached Images Attached Images
    -Rudyard Kipling

Dang! I guess I can dust this off and teach Wifey some stuff:

USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".