CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Xssights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading for the P380

Default Reloading for the P380

I had hoped the P380 wasn't going to be one of those 380's with special needs when it comes to reloads, and was pleasantly surprised that it isn't, so far anyway. Made dummy rounds with all my favorite bullets set at the longest OAL I've used in any of my 380's and they all chamber nicely in the P380. After the initial prepping of the pistol, I loaded 5 rounds of each different bullet (6 in all) and hand cycled them through it without a hitch. I know the proof is in the pudding, and tomorrow I hit the range to find out for sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Funflyer; 05-03-2020 at 01:52 PM. Reason: add pic

Forgot to mention that even with the extractor having the factory mods this P380 doesn't like Perfecta brass. Hand cycling I couldn't get the round to feed even if I nudged the back of the slide.

Happy to report that all the reloads I tested functioned perfectly and all were as accurate as factory ammo with a few much better. Not pictured are Hornady 90gn XTP which also functioned perfect.

1- Lee 105gn SWC
    2- Lee 102gn RN
    3- Speer 90gn Gold-Dot
    4- SNS 95gn RN
    5- Lee 95gn RF

Awesome. Glad to hear it.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

I don't re-load .380, but that's only because I no longer own any of the .380's. But I'm glad to hear of a successful re-loading endeavor.

Keep the re-loading chatter going

jd

It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

3.1 of Tite Group under a Berry’s rnhb is dead nut accurate in my p380.

Quote Originally Posted by DJK11 View Post
    3.1 of Tite Group under a Berry’s rnhb is dead nut accurate in my p380.
    Titegroup is quickly becoming my favorite 380 powder. I was testing some different bullets and powders through my new Springfield 911 and was surprised to see almost every TG load, regardless of bullet weight, was very accurate. My best was a 90gn XTP and 3.4 grains of TG. From the 911's 2.7" barrel they averaged 1006fps. I'm going to test that same load through the P380 next time out.

Funflyer, what’s going on with the crimp on #4? Crimped it short then gave it more length I assume. My experience with plated or coated bullets for best performance is a very shallow or lite crimp. A heavy crimp will tear the coating and destroy accuracy, may create tumbling. Thats been my experience especially with Berry’s. It’s also a problem with lead coated but to a lesser degree. Info from Berry’s is no crimp if possible but pull a round and if you can feel the crimp with your finger nail it’s toooo much.

I have been able to get my powder.coating to look that good. What procedure are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Gokyo View Post
    I have been able to get my powder.coating to look that good. What procedure are you using?
    I use Eastwood's PC gun. Electrostatic is the only way to go, never liked the shake-n-bake method. I already had the gun for coating mini bike parts which I didn't PC very often so now the gun gets used a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by DJK11 View Post
    Funflyer, what’s going on with the crimp on #4? Crimped it short then gave it more length I assume. My experience with plated or coated bullets for best performance is a very shallow or lite crimp. A heavy crimp will tear the coating and destroy accuracy, may create tumbling. Thats been my experience especially with Berry’s. It’s also a problem with lead coated but to a lesser degree. Info from Berry’s is no crimp if possible but pull a round and if you can feel the crimp with your finger nail it’s toooo much.

Actually I don't crimp, I just close the bell so the rounds will chamber. That's the bullet shoulder (SNS 95rn) you're probably seeing on #4, see pic below.