CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun

Thread: New P380 Range Report

Default New P380 Range Report

Today I hit the range with my new P380 along with 360 rounds of ammo, 200 reloads and 160 factory rounds, including round nose, flat point, semi-wad cutters and hollow points.

Factory ammo consisted of 100 rounds of Federal 95 grain round nose, 20 each of Federal 90 grain hydra shok, Federal 99 grain HST, and 20 Winchester Defend 95 grain JHP. All the Federal ammo functioned 100%. The Winchester hollow points however did not. The first round from each magazine would just stop as soon as it bumped up against the feed ramp (FTF). It did this with both six round magazines and also the seven rounder. This fail would occur with either the sling-shot method, or dropping the slide with the slide stop. After fiddling with, and finally chambering the first round, the rest of the rounds would feed normally while firing. I also experienced one light primer strike with the Winchester ammo. The dent was shallow, and it did fire when loaded the second time.

Reloads consisted of 75 of SNS 95gn round nose, 25 each of 105gn SWC, 102gn RN, 95gn RF, 90gn XTP and 90gn Gold-Dot. Brass was a mix of Federal and Winchester. Since most of these were my favorite "tried and true" 380 loads I was expecting them to function well, and they did just that. The little P380 ate em up and spit em out with 100% reliability.

All shooting was done at 10 yards. Accuracy testing was done supported from a rest.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would say that’s a great first outing! Appreciate posting the good news.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Thank you for a great range report and photos. When I heard Kahr had made a .380, I thought about getting one as I realized it must be compact and Kahr has an excellent reputation.

Thanks guys,

The one thing I forgot to add in my initial report was about the magazine ejection, or lack of it. The mags seem to be a little more snug in the frame and won't budge on their own when the release is pressed on an empty mag. Maybe they'll get better with more use as the mag-well wears in.

Excellent report, thanks!
    My CT380 shoots Remington, Federal, Fiocchi, & Hornady SD without any problems, but it does not like WWB at all.
    It’s a great little gun and well built.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Good read. Thanks for the report.

Added a bicycle tube grip sleeve to tame the texturing. I put Hogue sleeves on a few of my other pistols, but this seems to work as well and doesn't add much thickness. Now all it needs is a reliability run with 100 more XTPs and it'll be ready for a holster and pocket duty.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Funflyer; 05-06-2020 at 05:02 PM.