Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: COVID-19 and Vitamin D

Default COVID-19 and Vitamin D

I've been watching this doctor's reports and analyses on COVID-19 around the world. It's very informative and he keeps pointing out the importance of Vitamin D in the immune system to fight all infections, especially this virus. He discusses a result of a study in Indonesia that shows an increased incidence of death... a tenfold one in patients with deficient levels of Vitamin D. He points out quite often that darker skinned people produce less vitamin D from exposure to the sun, too.

I currently take 3x2,000 USP per day and I finally persuaded her that the "MINIMUM Daily Rquirement" is B.S. My doctors have recommended AT LEAST 4,000! And there are no known overdoses of Vitamin D!

The doctor posts daily on YouTube from the UK... very good videos. I started watching him from one of the threads on GlockTalk and alwasy watch them now.

USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

I have had at least 1 and usually 2 colds per year, as long as I can recall in my adult life, both before & after my kids were born (so it wasn't only a young kids/school thing). Typically during February 14th - memorable, because I couldn't taste our trad'l Valentine's Day Thai dinner - and another one sometime in the Fall.

10+ years ago, I chanced upon an article on mercola.com recommending D3 supplements in the form of Cholecalciferol for anyone living outside a narrow band of high sun exposure (I'm in Silicon Valley ~37.3 degrees latitude, which, except for a few summer months, provides insufficient sun exposure to maintain healthy D levels).
    During my next annual physical, I requested a D screen, and it reported way low, so I bought Costco's big, inexpensive Kirkland Signature Extra Strength bottle of 2000iu/50mcg Vitamin D3 Cholecalciferol gels, and began regularly taking 2 gels/day @dinner time, and I have not experienced even one single cold any time since. This while raising 4 kids in an international community, where bugs invariably traveled through my wife & kids after every break/vacation, as their peers brought the nasties back from their travels, and in a work environment where, instead of staying home, my colleagues soldier on while they snuffle and *snooork* and noseblow through their day.
    Both my wife and kids suffer through their stuffy, snotty colds, but have declined the D3 supplements.
    Maybe D3 is a placebo *shrug*, but it's sufficient correlation to me that I have kept my medicine cabinet at a minimum stocking level of one unopened bottle of D3 ever since, and I stock up when Costco runs a sale.

Btw, I rarely use sun screen, I work in the yard in shorts & boots, and we enjoy lots of outdoor activities including beach trips where I usually get an unhealthy pink, and my D level was still very low prior to the supplementation.
    I recommend it to lots of folks, and the response is usually akin to a silent eye roll.