Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen
Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Happiness is a new gun!

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster09 View Post
    ...I gave my son in law my Sig 239 in triple caliber [so he don't need t worry about ammo], it shoots 357 sig, 40 and 9mm....
    How does that work? I just happened to inherit a 239. Do you swap barrels and use the same mags? Or different mags too? What about recoil springs?
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

If I remember correctly, the .357 Sig round will work with the .40 magazines but .40 will not work with the .357 magazines. Something about a steeper ledge on the .357 Sig mag that could cause reliability issues. I guess it can work but not with any trust. The recoil spring can stay the same for .357 Sig and .40 cal. For 9mm I would get a 9mm rated spring. I also believe that the .40 cal. mags just perform better than the .357 Sig mags.

Quote Originally Posted by yqtszhj View Post
    How does that work? I just happened to inherit a 239. Do you swap barrels and use the same mags? Or different mags too? What about recoil springs?
    If it was originally a 40, you just swap barrels and magazines. The 40 uses same mag for 357 and 40. The 40 slide will take any barrel, 9,357 or 40. I am not sure on the 9mm slide. You can get different recoil springs, but depending on ammo you may not need to.
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

Interesting on how many are passing on guns to family members which I can only attribute to the current state of politics in America. I love Jeepster's thinking and I am doing the same including filling 50cal ammo cans with handloaded ammo in every caliber I own. I was fortunate enough to remember the past four or five "shortages" and was fully prepared for this current event.
    Yesterday, I took my grandson to the range with his 10/22 and Ruger MKIII and forgot how quickly they can go through a brick of ammo. While on my way home, I was able to replace most of it at reasonable price at my LGS.
    "Never pet a burning dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
    Only gun-related item recently... the USPS by some miracle delivered this today (for my Ruger PC Carbine 9mm plinker and neighborhood social work):
    I'm almost afraid to ask but, what exactly is 'neighborhood social work', that involves a 9mm Carbine?

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster09 View Post
    If it was originally a 40, you just swap barrels and magazines. The 40 uses same mag for 357 and 40. The 40 slide will take any barrel, 9,357 or 40. I am not sure on the 9mm slide. You can get different recoil springs, but depending on ammo you may not need to.
    I replaced the .40 cal. barrel of my P239 years ago with a Bar-Sto 9mm Conversion barrel, which may be different from a regular 9mm replacement barrel. After I did this, at my club range I shot at a can about 50 yd. away which flew into the air. More shooting confirmed this converted 9mm was much more accurate than its .40 predecessor. At this point, I had no P239 9mm mags and assumed the .40s would not work reliably, but I was anxious to try the new barrel and used them. Actually, all 6 of my .40 mags functioned perfectly and held one more 9mm round. The mags' .40 witness holes did not line up with 9mm rounds, but this has not been a problem. As a result, I never bought 9mm mags.
    The last time I checked, Sig was not selling 9mm mags for P239s, but I understand the current version of P225 mags will fit.
    I do not know if my conversion, with a "conversion" barrel, made it unnecessary to change mags. Perhaps Sig suggests 9mm mags due to the witness hole issue and liability concerns. I suggest those converting to 9mm first try using current mags before buying a batch of 9mm mags. I would love to know the results.
    I bought a new 9mm recoil spring for the conversion because I intended to carry standard velocity HST ammo and thought it would be more reliable with what Wolff specified. I am not sure this made any difference. My P239, now about 20 years old, has never malfunctioned in either caliber, though I prefer the 9mm setup. I have basically retired it in favor of lighter, narrower, higher cap defensive pistols, but I would not hesitate to carry it if there were some reason.
    I hope this helps.
    Last edited by finpro; 04-01-2021 at 06:40 PM.

The 225a1 mags are somewhat the same, but bases are different. I scored a bunch of new mags for all 3 calibers on https://osagecountyguns.com/ they are a direct source for Sig stuff at reduced prices. Sig sends to them before most other suppliers.
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

Finally after many years (probably the first time I watch Quigley Down Under) a Down Under Sharps is coming to live with me. Another one checked off the list. Magazines shouldn't be an issue. Stumbled onto a new one at a relatively decent price by today's standards.
    I'll post some pics when she arrives hopefully this week.

Similar to this one, have to find me a vernier sight. Ain't she pretty.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Wow! Waiting for a pic of your first 600 yd. target.
    "Never pet a burning dog"

I’ve always thought those octag. barrels looked classy. I bet that one was high dollar!