Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K9 Questions...

Default K9 Questions...

Hello folks,

I'm looking for advice re the purchase of a K9. I currently carry a CW9 and am wondering about switching to a K9. Although I've never shot a K9, I have handled one...I really love the feel and ergonomics of the all steel pistol. I soon would like to move beyond the usual training with paper targets at the range. Possibly starting with steel targets, trying to improve my accuracy and speed. Next joining some friendly competitive shooting leagues. (I'm a retired PO and have trained primarily with Sigs). I want to have my carry pistol be the same as the one I will eventually compete with. (This is just about self improvement, not becoming a champion).

I've also been wondering about how much improvement in the Kahr K9 trigger is available? To lighten the pull weight? Shorten the travel and reset length? I did see some You Tube videos about trigger improvements Galloway was working on, but wonder if anyone has experience with any of those. The flat trigger? And if there has been anything regarding the new and improved sear?

When I see Jerry Miculek shoot double-action revolvers so fast and accurately, I wonder if the complaints about the Kahr trigger are really valid. Can one become proficient with enough hours of practice to hold one's own against striker fired pistols or 1911's?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Dave

Everything mentioned is personal opinion and everybody has one.
    Mine is that you are correct in that the complaints are not really valid. Sure, some may not like the long trigger but it's extremely smooth and easy to get the hang of. I personally would not even seek to lighten the trigger at all. Other than the 5# striker spring which in my case didn't help all that much because it was already at around the 5# mark.

I doubt the K9 would hold it's own against a 1911 but not many will, except of course Jerry Miculek who could whip us all with just about anything.

Shooting a back up gun class it'll run with them, for some of the others a Kahr probably isn't the optimal choice.

I do find that I have no issue at all going from my 1911 to my PM45 or K's.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

The K series pistols are wonderful. I have a K40, with fiber front sight, which does very well in IDPA competition. Normally I compete with a revolver, but I can shoot the K40 just as fast. With a little practice, the Kahr will shoot double-taps as fast as anything, with a stock trigger. Also, the accuracy of these small pistols is amazing! My CM9 doesn’t shoot nearly as well as the K40, mostly because the pinky finger has nowhere to go. I suggest you find one and take it to a local IDPA match.

Just to throw out a related question...what do you folks think of the Springfield EMP 3" 1911 compared to the K9? Both for carry and fun competition.

Two completely different platforms. I've not heard anything bad about the EMP and wouldn't mind having one myself but if your not accustomed to the 1911 platform it will be different.

That is not to say it's a bad thing but it is different, to me in a good way but that's what I'm accustomed to.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

My Kahr K9 after regular practice on presentations from the leather, will do from the leather to 2 in the torso from 5 yards in 2.7 seconds. Bought as good as I can do. I'm turning 74 this year,

I can’t speak to the performance polymer Kahrs—I’ve never shot one. But I shoot as well with my K9 as just about any of my other guns. Save for maybe my Hi Power. Ran my K9 in an informal steel match recently, did just fine. Didn’t notice a whole lot of difference vs. my Sig P239 which I also ran that day. Personally, I find the trigger just right. I think Justin Moon had the right idea back in 95. It’s long enough for peace of mind, yet smooth enough to mitigate the hindrances of typical DA pull.

Only thing I don’t like about my K9... the back corner of the tang/beavertail jabs into my hand. After about 200 rounds, it leaves a mark. Other than that, I think the K9 is a superb carry gun.

Thanks again to all for your thoughtful responses. Much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Mattyd380 View Post
    I can’t speak to the performance polymer Kahrs—I’ve never shot one. But I shoot as well with my K9 as just about any of my other guns. Save for maybe my Hi Power. Ran my K9 in an informal steel match recently, did just fine. Didn’t notice a whole lot of difference vs. my Sig P239 which I also ran that day. Personally, I find the trigger just right. I think Justin Moon had the right idea back in 95. It’s long enough for peace of mind, yet smooth enough to mitigate the hindrances of typical DA pull.

Only thing I don’t like about my K9... the back corner of the tang/beavertail jabs into my hand. After about 200 rounds, it leaves a mark. Other than that, I think the K9 is a superb carry gun.

Looks like that was your first post and you are a Hi Power fan! Glad you joined us and welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Burnett View Post
    Looks like that was your first post and you are a Hi Power fan! Glad you joined us and welcome!
    Thanks, I appreciate it! Yes, I love my BHP. Only reason I don't dump rounds through it on the regular is because I'm not sure I can afford to buy another one. The world needs more thin, all metal guns...