Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: P9 Magazine problems

Default P9 Magazine problems

Just obtained a new P9 last week. I've owned 7 Kahrs and still have 3, the P9 being one of them. The other two are the K9 and a CW45. Own 10 9-7 mags due to trading off a CW9 I had for years but sold to purchase the P9.

Last week after receiving the Kahr P9 I took it out the next day and fired 75 rounds through the weapon using one of the issued mags that came with the P9. No problems.

Today, late this morning I loaded up the range bag with the P9 two extra mags, one of them being the 8 rounder that comes with the P9 and headed to my range. Long story short: gun went into single shot mode, Fire one, and gun would go to slidelock. Tap the back of the slide and gun would go into battery. Fire one and sequence started all over again.

Switched mags and went from Speer Gold Dots to WW 9mm practice ammo and the seven round magazine. Same sequence of fire; fire one jam, tap bang, fire one, slidelock, tap, bang.

Went home and grabbed the K9. Back to the range. The mags from the P9 that wouldn't feed, operated without any jams in the K9. And one of the mags from the 1995 K9 worked in the P9.

The object is to get all mags to work in both guns, how can I accomplish this? I had no problems with interchangability between the CW9 and the K9. Thanks for your help.

Wondering if the slide lock lever spring came loose and out of adjustment just enough to allow the one mag to work.

Funny that it went 75 rounds with no issues and then suddenly this. And the mags all worked in the K9.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Wait......fire one round and the gun goes into slide lock? Tap the back of the slide and it goes into battery?
    Really slide lock or just slightly out of battery?

They like full power loads especially at first but the Gold Dots should have made it run. WW not so bad either. ?????
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Check to make sure the slide lock spring is tight and is in the proper position,....what you are describing could perhaps be one of two things, hand fatigue and not really getting a good solid grip or lack of lube on the slide or both...The P9 will take some shooting in to get happy with all the moving parts to be fail safe, like several hundred rounds to function 100% because of the polymer frame needing to wear in, it's tight and needs lube and round count to get right...I don't think it's a magazine issue because the mags function fine in your K9 but remember that pistol is a different animal, it's heavy and doesn't need so much recoil energy to cycle properly...Your P9 will come around, clean and lube it good, grip it tight and to borrow a phrase from a Kahrtalk master, "Shoot it like you stole it"....it will be fine....Oh I forgot, welcome to Kahrtalk, folks here forgot more stuff about Kahr pistols than I'll ever know....Good luck with it...

Thanks Guys did have a good grip on the gun, I've run semi autos since the 1970s I'm an old 1911 shooter and carried one on duty for ten years. Tore the gun down this afternoon and noticed the slide stop didn't appear to be seated all the way. I tore the gun down and lubed it according to the sticky elsewhere on the forum, before I went to the range the first time. I've owned and operated without problem the CW series all three calibers, the CM9 and was thinking the P9 would be a piece of cake. The few rounds I did fire with it I was impressed with the accuracy. Would like all my mags in 9 to interchange, this stuff reminds of 1911s in the 70s when each 45 required it's own set of mags, thank God for Wilson who ultimately solved the problem. Lots of range time coming up.

Called Kahr Arms this am and John at the CS desk told me to check and see if the spring at the slidelock pin opening was sliding on top the little notch on the slidelock lever when assembled. Took the weapon apart and installed the slidelock lever and the tail of the spring fits in the notch as noted from watching Kahr arms videos on You Tube. Assembled / Reassembled several times and it appears the spring is traveling to it's appointed place. Will shoot again later today to see if this is a fix.

Talked with Kahr arms again yesterday and John asked me to try different slide relief levers from other Kahrs I own. So I tried that today and same results. Did insert the slide release levers from the P9 and others and the spring fit into the notch in the SR Lever. Called Kahr again today and a RMA is enroute.

Glad you got a RMA. Like Bawanna, I am puzzled. If the slide was locked back, then a simple tap on the back of the slide would do nothing. If it is simply out of battery, then I suspect a feed problem, something that might occur with different mags. Again, if the slide is locked back, key word locked, then the simple tap on the back will do nothing. I think we've been chasing the wrong thing. Sometimes we get a certain idea in our head and then fail to see other options. Its human nature. Zeke, can you clear things up. Pictures? It might help when it get to the Mothership, too. You want them to be aware of the nature of the problem.
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm

Good deal getting the RMA, Zeke, Kahr will figure it out for sure... I agree with topgun that it's something other than the slide release.... Since Zeke is a long time experienced shooter you can eliminate loose grip or hand fatigue and since several slide stops have been tried that pretty much eliminates that part so I'm wondering if it might not have a defective recoil spring or perhaps a wrong part from the factory...Be interesting to see what the fix will be so let us know what they do to to correct it, glad you sent it back because you shouldn't have to try and figure it out yourself and waste a bunch of money on ammo trying to get it to work right...Good luck!

Hi guys, just obtained the RMA today, it was promised last Thursday with a no show Friday. The weapon is locking a few millimeters back beyond slidelock, without the slidelock being engaged. Again a slight tap on the rear of the slide and it feeds a round into the chamber. This is from the beyond slidelock position. Yes I should have taken pics. I didn't, it's boxed and sitting on my seat near the front door. I have noticed that there is considerable wear on the screw that holds the sliderelease spring in place, The dark coating, it's a black slide P9, is worn off that screw. I'll keep you posted. Just from the little bit of shooting I've done with it it appears it will outshoot my old CW9. Hide and watch!