Tommy Gun   Xssights   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop

Thread: K9 beavertail/tang bites the hand

Default K9 beavertail/tang bites the hand

I love my K9. Accurate. 100% reliable (no FTFs or FTEs in 1200 rounds). Easy to carry. Feels good. Looks good. But after about 200 rounds or so, the web of my hand is definitely not thanking me.

The corner of the tang is pretty sharp. Pokes into the meat of my hand when I grip the gun firmly. No big deal for just a box, maybe even two. But the recoil hammering that sharp edge into my skin starts to hurt after a while.

Anyone else notice this with their K9? Short of filing down the edges, anyone have any solutions?

I was thinking G10 grips might help keep the gun from hammering back into the hand (better grip, better recoil mitigation, etc.). Also was the weight thinking a stainless steel guide rod might help reduce recoil? Any other grip options I should be considering? I have the current production wood grips (with the K). Didn't notice much of a difference with those.

Anyway, just curious to see anyone had any brilliant insights. Thanks.

I may end up with the same problem. My "new-to-me" K9 is of 1994 production, so pretty early on. My tang has sharp edges also but I haven't been able to shoot it yet. Depending on how well it shoots I may send it off for some custom work like sharp edges at the tang and trigger guard area "melted" or rounded off. Then I'd need a refinish.....not sure what all that would cost.

I think my CW 45 can be a bit brutal after extending shooting but I am not really sure, it's been some months since I've shot it.

Now my S&W 438, shooting Speer Lawman 158 grain +P rips my hand up! I have Crimson Trace's very small grips on it, so the thumb break on my Galco Ankle Glove will snap for carry.....I have worn a blister practicing with it and that load.

Due to recoil though, I switched all my carry revolvers over to Critical Defense 110 grain non +P and 130 grain PPU for practice. Both those shoot to point-of-aim in all my carry revolvers.

I don't think a heavier guide rod would matter that much recoil-wise.

What year is your K9? I think the early ones had sharper tangs than later models.

What load are you shooting?

Thanks for the input. I've been shooting mostly Fiocchi 115gr FMJ with some S&B 115 here and there. I feel like the S&B is maybe a little hotter? But it's still 115 standard pressure--nothing crazy.

I purchased my K9 brand new this past December. So, it's definitely a recent production example.

I'm inclined to say it's not that big of a deal... but damn, my hand still hurts after Sunday. It irks me because I feel like the gun is good enough to be a great "do-it-all" pistol--shoot some steel with it, train with it, maybe take it to a class, etc. Seems like it's reliable and accurate enough.

I've also thought about taking mine to a smith to have the corners rounded. Though I'm not sure if they'd have to re-bead-blast the frame or not (mine's stainless). Since yours is probably blued (all early Ks were blued, right?), I'd guess you'd pretty much have to refinish yours, as you said.

Also...

Think a T9 would feel any better?

Hmmm...I've shot some Fiochhi but not enough to be well-versed on its power level. I have read on www.browningownwers.com that Sellier & Bellot is "rather hotly loaded." I haven't chronographed it though.

OK....so a new example also has sharp corners? That actually makes me feel better! I was under the impression "if I had bought a newer model, I wouldn't need this melting done."

Get the corners rounded man....then get it refinished or go "all out" and get it cerakoted.

My pistol is a 1995 (according to Kahr personnel as I called them and asked) but seems to have a Glock-type finish both slide and frame. My pistol is also carbon-steel, not coated stainless. That's OK by me. I don't often play in the rain and even if my gun did get wet, I'd blow dry it then oil it well.

You could also try wearing a shooting glove.....at least for matches.

Depending on how mine shoots (haven't shot it yet) I may get the corners and trigger guard area melted then a 2-tone cerakote job.

Never so much as seen a T9.....someone else may chime in though.